everytime I shave my face I have red bumps on my neck and they hurt and bleed....seems like my neck is alwayz dry too...on my face if i let my beard grow out i develop what seems like a red bumped rash underneath the hair...shows up when i shave....any thoughts or solutions???
thanx

hi,

when you shave the hair is cut off at skin level and as it continues to grow the blunt edges can become coiled under the surface of the skin, leading to little infected spots with a hair in the centre.

To reduce the risk of the itchy bumps (ingrowing hairs) make sure you exfoliate, shave with warm water, use a sharp blade to reduce the damage caused to the sin and try to avoid going over an area more than once, moisturise regularly. try to use hypoallergenic products if possible

folliculitis is the name given to the inflamed follicles, and if very severe can lead to scarring, therefore it is worth taking the time, alternatively see your doctor for a cream to treat any exisiting infection.

hope this helps.

btmn5784 wrote:

thanx!

How did that treatment work for you? I have a similar problem and would like to use it but I"m anxious. Can you let me know? Thanks!!

You cant do any harm by following the advice, and everyone responds differently to different techniques. try it and see if it helps you

Well I didn't mean that it would do harm. I was just curious to hear if btrmn had tried it and if it worked. I usually like to see how things work for someone else before trying it for myself. BTMN, do you have an answer?

oh, I understand anxiety and curiosity to be two completely different things - hence the reassurance

YES i tried sum of the methods and they seem 2 be working...not a total clear up yet but a good start....the washing and moistorizing is deff helping...thanx again

glad to hear it, take care x

That's really good to hear! Now that it's been a week or so do you have an update? Is it clearing up more or is it pretty much working as good as it's going to?

so far so good...the moisturizer helps alot with it becoming winter and all...gotta luv that dry air

I saw that you're located in Maine? I'm sure that your skin must dry out horribly in the winter. When I lived in Boston, my skin would always be angry and red. I'm glad to hear the moisturizer worked! THanks for keeping me updated.