For about the last three years I have had this problem when I shave my legs. After I shave, all these red bumps start appearing and they appear to be blistery-like. I've been to the dermatologist twice, she prescribed antiobiotics both times and that cleared up the bigger bumps that were seriously infected, but not the ongoing smaller ones. I can't wear shorts, and I am going crazy. It's hot here in OK. The doc told me it is basically hopeless, that I either have to do hair removal or try depilatories (which burn me badly after 2 minutes!). I need help! The doc called it folliculitis, was she trying to sell me laser hair removal or was she telling the truth?

Hey Caryjean,

I experienced the same over and over again. I've read somewhere on this forum about the infection of the sebaceous glands after shaving. I haven't talked to my dermatologist because it went away from its own.

First I tried to clean the area with medicine alcohol and soap, but it didn't help a lot and I felt slight burning. Later I used few different kind of antibacterial soaps and it helped 2 days after.

One of my neighbors had the foliculitis and it was idiopathic foliculitis. She explained me it's an inflammation of the hair follicles caused by infection or physical or chemical irritation.

It often starts with damage to your hair follicles, either from friction caused by clothing or shaving. The most common causes are:
friction from shaving or tight clothing, blocked the follicles, inflammatory skin conditions, injuries to your skin such as abrasions, surgical wounds or abscesses, use of plastic dressings and exposure to coal tar, pitch or creosote (mechanic workers exposed to oil).

Sometimes foliculitis goes away on its own in few days, but persistent or recurring cases are likely to require treatment, which are mostly topical or oral antibiotics.

My neighbor used isotretinoin (Accutane), because her dermatologist diagnosed her foliculitis as Gram-negative type.

Try to wash with antibacterial soaps (eg, Dial soap, Betadine skin cleanser, Hibiclens wash) to prevent or control mild cases of foliculitis.

Have your doctor told you what kind of foliculitis you have, because there’s several different kinds of inflammation and each of them will be treated different?!?

Let us know ...

i also had this problem with my legs. after i shave, i would begin itching and large bumps would occur. try benadryl itching cream. i tried baby powder but that only made matters worse. an ice pack is probably your best choice. and try to let your legs "air out". dont cover them.

Well, don't shave so close maybe?

when you get out the shower,, after done shaving put a light coat of lotion on, that should work, but i also think your skin is sensitive, mines is too, after a couple days i still get bumps its so anoying.or dont shave till the time your wanna wear shorts.

try going and getting the clinique acne soap bar.. and use it after shaving. it cost around $13 but it lasts a long time