got here after googling, so i thought i'd ask a quick question and see if anyone knows anything about my issue. first world problems and all that, i know... but it's really bugging me. whenever i shave my legs, i don't get that smooth pretty skin that i want but i see these large, slightly darkened pores. i really don't like the way it looks. am i doing shaving all wrong? (actually i usually use my husband's razor, haha, one of those with three blades. should i get a lady's razor?) any suggestions would be great, to my legs don't have to look like a citrus fruit in the future.

That's pretty common, though more so after waxing than after shaving.

I'd look into a nice antioxidant serum to stimulate that collagen if I was you, and also make sure you add exfoliating to your routine if you ain't done that already. Mind you, if this is a long term issue for you and not something that you just started having trouble with recently, there's also another option you could check out. Microdermabrasion is a deep kind of exfoliating you can get done at the salon. That gets rid of all the dead skin cells and nasty stuff, and renews your skin.

They call it strawberry legs. It's caused by open pores with excess oil, dirt and bacteria in them. In the future, you may avoid adding to the problem by using a brand new razor every time. That's because blunt razors don't completely remove the follicle, which can cause these strawberry legs. Also shaving cream as well as an aftershave care product.

You can keep your pores cleaner by using a scrub on your legs, even just baking soda which has antibacterial properties. Meanwhile, try massaging your legs with a good body lotion or almond oil in your problem areas to reduce the appearance of pores.

One thing nobody talks about anymore these days is epilators. They're pretty effective though. An epilator is basically an electric tweezer that goes really fast, pulling hairs right out. Yes, it hurts, but not more than waxing. Now I'm using one I don't get those razor bumps, which I think you could be talking about when you say big pores on your legs after shaving, any more. Your legs are also pretty smooth for at least two weeks and perhaps more. And you don't have to get it done by someone else, spending money. After you buy the epilator, you can just use it whenever necessary. Perhaps try that instead?

Shaving your legs looks like such a simple thing to do, but many people make mistakes while shaving their legs. Could you perhaps post a picture of your legs so others can comment about what you may be doing wrong?

For now, here are some tips that should make your legs smoother and better looking after shaving.

Soak your legs in the bathtub for about quarter of an hour before you start shaving. You'll open up those follicles, making it easier to get the hair to come out. Also, many people are in a hurry and use either nothing at all or just soap to smoothen their legs before they start shaving. That's not a good idea. Use proper shaving cream. Also, only shave in the direction of your hair growth. And make sure to replace your razor regularly. Most people don't do that. Dull blades make for ugly legs, so get a new one after five to 10 times using the razor.

No more using your husband's blade. That could give him trouble as well as you.

So true, shaving isn't nearly as effortless as it sounds. Not if you want your skin to look nice afterward, that is. I've used Dermatologica Dermalogica Professional Shave, which is also organic, and a great after shave product for women. There's a bunch of nice smelling ingredients in there that make you smell good too. Orange, tea tree (which also fights infections) and something else I think. Dermatologica Dermalogica has also got another product, Soothing Shave Cream, which has soothing ingredients like aloe that work on your skin, giving you a smoother shave and preventing those razor bumps in the first place.

1. Exfoliate the skin on your legs regularly.
2. Practice dry brushing on your legs before shaving.
3. Soak your skin in a nice hot bath for 15 minutes before you get shaving.
4. Drain your bath water. Use a new razor. Use a shaving cream that contains aloe. Follow the direction of your hairs rather than going against it.
5. Dry your skin and apply a soothing moisturizer, such as one that contains mint.

If you follow these steps from now on, I am pretty sure you will no longer suffer from "big pores" (also called comedones) after you shave.

Everyone wants smooth legs after shaving, without redness, bumps, and pores. Unfortunately, those things will not simply turn up by themselves. You are going to have to work for them.

As others have already said, but so many don't do, you really really really do need to exfoliate your legs before shaving if you want optimal results. Dead skin cells will otherwise get stuck in your razor, making the rest of your shave something that isn't a walk in the park. After you are done exfoliating (which you should really be doing every day in the shower), use a shaving cream free of alcohol on your legs. After you are finished shaving, don't make the mistake of rubbing your skin with your towel. Pat your skin dry rather than rubbing and then finish it all off with a nice after shave lotion for your legs.

Hopefully, this will prevent any problems.

thanks for all the tips guys, i really appreciate it. i've been lurking here for a while and thought i'd come back when i tried some of the tips. yeah, i went out and bought some proper razors for ladies and some shaving cream and also some of that after shave stuff. did soak in the bath and used that face exfoliator on my legs, which seemed gentle enough. things are looking better right now. i do have one question though and that's it looks like i have some stubborn areas where i have ingrown hairs. they look like red bumps that just don't go away. is there anything i can do about that?

Hi! Luckily, ingrown hairs tend to go away on their own given time. In some cases, that does not happen and your ingrown hair can become infected. You will experience pain and see a nasty red bump that is bigger than those you have now. It's unusual, but rarely a doctor will need to make a cut in the skin to extract the hair, and then you need to use a steroid cream afterwards. Don't worry yet, because that probably will not happen to you.

LOL, the NHS says don't pick at ingrown hairs, don't scratch them and don't squeeze them. I figure they know what they're talking about, yeah? They do say if you really wanna get rid of an ingrown hair to sterilize some tweezers and get the hair out if it's near the surface, but not to mess with it if it's in deep, basically. Folliculitis is a more serious complication, and that one involves a fair bit of pus. That too gets better on its own, the NHS says, but they are usually quite laid back and low maintenance. They do say to use tea tree oil if it doesn't go away on its own, and eventually to see a GP. Mind you, it looks like most of these things have a way of working themselves out on their own.

If you are using a disposable razor, wash your legs to make sure they are clean and expose them to semi-hot water that will allow you to get a close shave. Then, use a fragrance free moisturizer shaving cream. This will keep your skin irritation free and smooth your skin out, again to allow you to get a close shave. Do not rush. This is very important. Carefully look as the skin as you shave it. Start from the ankle and work your way up. Then, wash it off, check all the hair is gone, and immediately moisturize your skin. It is up to you what you use. Personally I like Argan oil a lot, but not everyone appreciates the smell.

Hi there,

I used to suffer from the same problem until I heard that shaving enlarges pores, and the more you shave the worse that problem will become. Someone then told me if I wanted smaller follicles rather than larger ones, I should have my leg hair waxed instead. I followed that bit of advice and yes, my big pores are now gone. The only thing I hate about waxing is having to grow my hairs out. Other than that, my legs look much better now.

I have had obvious pores after shaving, and had them for so long that I assumed it was normal. Then I started exfoliating my legs twice a week and applying vitamin E oil. Guess what happened? Without ever trying to do that, the clarity of my pores went down enormously. In addition, my legs feel a lot softer. I also switched to shaving less often, because it really does not happen that often that I need totally smooth legs. I noticed this reduces the chance of having red bumps on the skin after shaving as well.

Here's how to avoid unsightly problems after shaving:

- Choose a single blade razor, because these cut the hairs off above skin level. That means your hairs will not be stuck below skin level, where skin can grow over them before they get the chance to grow again, causing an ingrown hair.
- Exfoliate your skin before you shave.
- Apply a shaving cream, which will soften the hairs before shaving and make shaving a smoother experience.
- Use a cooling lotion after shaving.
- If you get an ingrown hair anyway, remove it with tweezers so it does not become infected. Clean your tweezers first.