Hi, I am 23 years old. Sometimes I feel like I’m chocking, and have the urge to breathe. A doctor told me that this condition is called air hunger. What are the usual causes of this condition?

Hi, my boyfriend suffers from air hunger. He often has a feeling that he is not getting enough air and has an urge to breathe. It sometimes looks like he’s choking and it’s really disturbing. A doctor said that his air hunger is caused by the detection of high levels of carbon dioxide in the blood by sensors in the carotid sinus. It is not the only possible cause. Adrenalin and some other natural chemicals can also induce an urge to breathe. I even heard of cases when anxiety was an underlying cause of air hunger. Before he was diagnosed, he thaught that he had asthma. I think that many people make the same mistake.