I have a few friends who attend yoga classes and I do believe that I would like to join myself. Now I am looking into they ways in which yoga could benefit me. My friends describe it mainly as a stress-management technique. Is it more than that? What can I expect?

I did yoga for a few years myself and I did find the breathing techniques and all that very relaxing. It was hard work at times because you do use muscles that you perhaps didn't even know you had before. I found it made my body more flexible, and my mind as well :-). Because of lack of time I stopped doing it but I am seriously considering starting again. The yoga I did is Hatta Yoga if it matters to you, and the classes were just once a week. I did practice the exercises at home as well, whenever I had time. After a bit of practice, I could do yoga at home pretty well. I don't know if this rambling answers your question, but it should give you a bit of an idea what you can get out of yoga. If you have any more specific questions about things you would like to know, please do feel free to ask away!