I bite my nails and cheeks and just tonight I literally bite a small hole in my cheek I also don't know I bite my nails and chew on my cheek until they bleed it's embarrassing. The hole is on the right side and it hurts and now I keep playing with it with my tongue and it's making it worse. I normally do this when I read, or like am really trying to focus and in stressful situations.
I am 14 and I have done it since I can remember but not as bad now my cheeks seem swollen and are constantly and now I have a hole in my cheek.

I have been biting the inside of my mouth,cheeks,lips, and nails for 6 years now, it's an addiction, I can't stop, even when I realize I am doing it, I still can't stop, it helps with my anxiety and depression

You are the most helpful of them all out there. I agree with everything you wrote. Here is my problem. I have tried to break the code of this mystery, but to no avail. I have tried using filing down the rough edges so that I will have no project to work on, but for some reason, even though the smooth planes look promising, I get worse.

I believe, that the anxiety and the stress is subconscious. I think when I start biting off any uneven surfaces it represents the uneven and bumpy situations in my life. I also noticed that I do more "cleaning up" when I finish work and I drive home. Then one day I understood that the body goes through the healing process, and what I perceive as an imperfection to be straightened out because after all my life needs strengthening out with keeping up with debts, and relationships and house managing, aging father etc. etc., is actually "wet scabs". The worse they feel the more closer I am to getting rid of them. However, I need to hurry up the situation and my new found smoothness is now more raw surface to be continued for another day. If they were dry scabs I would leave them alone.

It's all deception. Fear is deceiving and stress does not fix anything. Trust in God and peace in my soul.... that is what is needed to forget about this preoccupation that can never go on a resume.

Maybe writing about this might help. I will keep you posted.

I had tongue surgery 2 years ago and after the tongue healed the tongue went nuts and wants to chew. I talked with a friend that's a orthodontist and she said it can take several years for the nerves to heal. By now I would think the nerves should be healed. I chew gum so I don't chew the tongue but lately the gum chewing has me biting my cheeks raw. I have been under a lot of stress so I do feel it is nerve related. I bought mouth guards for teeth grinding at the Dollar Tree for $1.00 made of silicone and wear them during the day. As long as its in my mouth the tongue doesn't chew. Its like it has a brain of its own. I don't chew the tongue at night. I do use a salt water rinse when I have bitten my cheeks. I don't want any infections in my mouth.

I am also 42 and have been chewing since I can remember. I also have on obsession with having the inside of my mouth smooth. I now have wrinkles around my mouth from it and I STILL can't stop! I always wondered if it is some kind of self mutilation or just stress? It gets really bad when I watch TV or after I eat. What is worse is that my two boys have picked up this habit from watching me I guess??

Mine is for the most part under control at work, but as SOON as I get in my care on the drive home it starts and continues until I go to sleep. Maybe because at work I am preoccupied and when I'm done my brain goes on overdrive ?

I AM GOING TO TRY THIS IMMEDIATELY !!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP OTHERS!

Hi
I always chew on the inner part of my lower lips, grind my teeth and chew my tongue even. I did it unconsciously in the beginning but now I do it knowingly. I can't help it and it worries me a lot. I tried looking for the solution online but everywhere they just talk about cheek biting. I don't do that. It's the inner lower lips and tongue and also grinding my tongue. Please help me.

I do it also for years on and off. I do have anxiety

Wow,I'm shocked! I thought I was the only one that does this until I read these! I've never heard of anyone else doing this! I've been doing this since my childhood. I don't even know when I started! It's been as at least 33 years. Anyone who has ever been close to me,yells at me & gets really mad because they say its annoying to see & hear me chew my lip! But I just can't stop & now 2 of my 3 children started doing it!

I don't really bite my cheek, I shift my jaw so my tooth scrapes the inside of my mouth. In the end, it hurts really bad as I'm basically scraping my tooth in a gash. I know I am doing it, but I can't stop!

I also constantly bite the side of my tongue knowingly. I have no idea how to stop it!

I have done this since teen years. My mom did it too. Now my face is sagging and brushed where I bite my cheeks. It is during stressful situations. I have tried everything, can't seem to stop. Dark spots are so ugly. Trying a OTC lighting cream. Glad I'm not alone. It helps reading these responses. Thank you.

I too am a tongue chewer and lip biter when severely stressed. This time I have given myself canker sores all over the tongue. Had to have dentist prescribe Magic Mouthwash to stop the pain. It seems to be working. I also tear apart threads in my clothing with the hands to calm down. I've stopped doing that and moved on to the tongue chewing. Attributed it all to changes at work. Will get through this one day at a time.

My acupuncturist told me I have a weak spleen (she was puzzled by it) and I am a lip biter (since about age 6). I'm trying to understand the correlation between lip biting and weak spleen function. Thanks !

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use