Here me out on this please.

I'm 16 years old. I only smoked weed from the middle of September to November 28th and since I quit I've had some withdrawal symptoms: headaches (went away), sleepiness throughout the day (still there), insomnia (I got this like a week and a half ago and I'm pretty sure this is over now), depression (still there), short term memory loss (this just came about a week and a half ago and it's still there), & anxiety/derealization/depersonalization (still there and is the worst of it all)

From a lot of what I read a lot people who go through derealization from weed had experienced derealization while high, never touched it since, and then go through derealization sober (because their brain is still "scared"; that's just my thought on this). I feel like what happened was that a "switch" was turned on in my brain from too much weed, and smoking (just a little bit) again and getting a good, pleasant high would turn that switch off and basically tell my brain that everything's ok as long as I don't overdo it (my panic attack came from smoking WAY too much good weed at once). It makes sense to me but I wanted other opinions on this

Now I know you're probably thinking this is stupid, but I just don't think that since I only smoked for 2 1/2 months I should still have derealization after almost a month and a half of being sober. Now it has gotten better in the past 45 days; I've even seen an improvement since New Years but this is taking a huge toll on me. Now for the reason I say weed could possibly be my cure: From what I understand about DP/DR, it's something that "gains it's power" from worrying about it. And I know when I smoke weed I forget all the BS.

Then again I feel like weed could possibly make things worse than they already are and I don't wanna make these past 45 days wasted time and end up back in square 1. I read that it could take 6 months for this to be over but those were cases for 1+ year smokers. Will it still take 6 months for my 2 month use??? And because I still feel this way I feel like I messed up my brain for good. I just want my memory and sense of reality back!!

PS: I'm planning on going back to weed in the future (I'm talking once a month/every other month, maybe every 3 months) so should I start in moderation now or wait 'til everything's over?

Why- at 16 years old- are you hell bent on developing an addiction to weed?? If you're not smoking now- why do you want to smoke it in the future? Exactly HOW is it going to improve your life? You've acknowledged that it has caused you problems, yet you say you're definitely going to smoke it again- even going so far as to state that you're going to smoke it on a regular basis! In Bob's name- Why?

Don't use the depersonalization/derealization symptoms as an excuse- if you believe that weed sparked them off and encourages them, how can it them make them disappear? Logically, they would get worse when you started smoking again!

The depersonalization/derealization may not just be consistant factors of cannabis use, simply because a few smokers have had it. There is a disorder called 'Depersonalization disorder' that effects those who haven't smoked cannabis. I experience derealization/depersonalization and can actually incite it to happen: it doesn't scare me & it's not a source of anxiety for me. It can be slightly strange when I'm not controlling it and it happens at work (in the middle of teaching!) or when I'm talking to someone. I lose track of what I was saying and have to 'ground' myself (i.e; touch solid objects or people, try and recall a shopping list or task list, etc). My experience was not started by smoking cannabis: I have a personality disorder (schizoid comorbid with avoidant) and it's a sub-symptom, as are periods of depression & anxiety. Did you know that repersonalization/derealization is also a symptom of schizophrenia? 

I do believe that smoking cannabis can exagerate symptoms of already existing mental health illnesses. Where did you read/hear that derealization "gains it's power" from weed?? I'd be interested in THAT medical journal! Depending on the levels of THC & CNB in the weed, the typical action of cannabis is to increase dopamine levels and decrease or increase seratonin (brain chemicals!). Dopamine plays a vital role in the symptoms of schizophrenia; hence if levels of it are increased, schizophrenic-like symptoms can appear, such as paranoia, depersonalization/derealization, lethergy, disorganisation, spiritual-thinking & audio & visual hallucinations.

And there are quite a few recent studies that show a relationship between use of cannabis in adolescence & schizophrenia-like symptoms and heavy cannabis use and schizophrenic symptoms.

You're 16- your brain is still in a heightened state of development, so (hopefully!) you won't have long-term symptoms, but my advice? DON'T start it up again. Find another hobby or anxiety outlet and if you're in to reading, do some proper reading and look up the REAL effects of cannabis misuse, instead of reading c**p that justifies your habit.

I did not say it gained its power from weed, reread what I said. And I never said that I was going to smoke it regularly, I said every once in a while. It's still something I'd like to do every once in a while but I'd never indulge in it like I used to. And about that "medical journal" thing; I stated more than once that these were just my ideas/thoughts. And I wasn't trying to justify my habit either, I don't even crave marijuana.

But I appreciate your help. Thank you

hello,

what violet_ivy said was very interesting, coming from a person with depersonalisation disorder.

violt_ivy, what you said about depersonalisation being exacerbated by marijuana consumption makes a lot of sense.

ive felt depersonalsiation symptoms while high, felt it today shortly in withdrawal (first day, yay) and have felt it many times in the past, but i havent been sober long enough since the age of 14 to know if perhaps i have that disorder.

when i was younger it freaked the hell outta me. i was like , what is this O_O D:!?

but after multiple years, it doesnt worry me at all. i can even control it.

lil tune, i stopped smoking marijuana for 3 weeks in 2010 and i went to rehab. i had been smoking everyday for 6 years, with 5 days of break only. i only felt depersonalisation 4-5-6 times in the first week, by the first week and a half it had subsided completely.

if ever you get sick of it, you could always go see a psychiatrist. perhaps he could help you.

regards, take care.

unfortuneatley, derealization is caused by marijuana. Marijuana clouds the mind which causes you to see the world in a different perception. It isn't better than the real world. If you want mental clarity, and lose the derealization and depersonalization you will need to quit. It takes a long time to get that back, and depending on how often and how much you smoked it could last up to 2 years. It won't mess up your brain, and you'll be back to your old self after you quit. It just takes a lot of time and commitment.

Actually you are wrong because I've had it for over 18 years and it was after I smoked marijuana. I feared so much of even smelling it because I thought it would get worse. Well till this day I still have it. Now I'm 31 and I still have dp. It doesn't take 2 years, this is basically for ever. I think violet_ivy might be right. I think it's about about letting go of fear.

violet_ivy  might be right. Actually some people here are wrong because I've had it for over 18 years and it was after I smoked marijuana. I feared so much of even smelling it because I thought it would get worse. Well till this day I still have it. Now I'm 31 and I still have dp. It doesn't take 2 years, this is basically for ever. I think violet_ivy might be right. I think it's about about letting go of fear.

Hello guys, i have had derealization/depersonalization for about 7months now. I tried being sober for about 6 months eating healthy etc, nothing worked. so for the last month up to now i started smoking weed again, one thing i can say is that it makes you feel great and it takes the worry off of your mind,but honestly for maybe up to a week after without smoking it makes you feel like sh*t.Honestly though im gona go out there and try things to help myself,im not just gona sit down and hope for it to get better.The point is though he could be right he could be wrong.Dr/Dp is caused by a panic attack in the high state your brain puts itself in that state to feel protected,so getting your mind used to the high might just work.

weed caused my depersonalization disorder so no, don't do it.

Hey man, my name's George.

I feel the above aswered are very dismissive to the idea of weed curing the depersonalization, maybe because they haven't tried or aren't open to the idea. Mental problems can often be cured by pure beleif that it's working or will work. Not scientifically compared to biological problems. So if anything i'd say give it a go, and if it works it works. If not, atleast you tried.

I've found my way here because im asking myself the same question if cannabis can help my derealization. What I've experinced kind of relates to yours. I used to smoke a LOT of weed when i was a silly teenager growing up, along with a lot of other drugs i shouldn't have been doing anywhere near as much. But the regular cannabis was definitely the main problem. It made my brain work so fast that if i was paraoid these paranoid thoughts would escalate due to how fast my brain was going.

A few years later after quiting for a year and a half i can smoke it again without getting paranoid. But i've recently had a very tramatic experience which has caused quite bad derealization, especially when socializing. I have no inner monalogue so find it hard to generally think and keep a conversation. When i smoke cannabis with my friends it can either help the depersonalizaton and help my thoughts flow, or do the opposite. 

Whenever i'm by myself i get a nice flowy high with a talkative inner monalogue, feeling much more myself and happier. I'm going to try taking cannabis alone for a while and see if it helps with my general lack of inner monalogue.

TL;DR Sorry for the essay but how did they go for you? I'm going to try it myself to help with depersonalization.

Depersonalisation and derealisation is hell. I have a personality disorder and dissassociate daily. I was in and out of hospital for years. Really realkt unwell. I started to get a grip but started smoking the occassional joint to ease the pain of daily life. BIG mistake. I now experience all I had before but ten times worse. My face changes constantly, it doesnt look right. I know this might be because I finally have a handle on my split personality and recognise the changes but I swear cannibis has played a big role. Im a mess and im giving it up.

P.s. I hear voices and feel so strongly that im not meant to be. I feel like a ghost. Im sure cannabis made this worse

yo man I feel u iv had de realization for a year and a half now but that's cause I still smoke weed, my phyciatrist says if I continue to do it I can get skitzo from it, but im pushing the border big time, when I s oke my DR is 100000times worse but I like that sometimes, n u cant get addicted to pot but I got addicted to poppers XD

33 Ive suffered half of my life from this anxiety fueled, and depression from it. I know this disease will eventually take me....and its so sa
d and no answers. everyday struggle more and more, won't be long, no way to live...and thats how i feel. I never deserved this. and its like god playing on me. i Live in absolute fear. and Ive not one option to turn too. d.p.e. is the definition of a living hell, that i don't want to be a part of. someone tell me how to deal with this. Im out of answers, and so beaten from this, I'm done. peace to all!!

I concur with your answer. I've had DP/DR since February 24, 1978; which equals 39 years. I have no idea what "normal" is anymore. My way of living and thinking is always filtered through my illness. I think the worst part of it, is how it screws with your relationships. Pretending is something that I have become a master at, being that I never really know what I'm feeling.