what is the side effects of smoking weed?

I'll try to reply to your question. But first, what are the "effects"?

According to some, it causes mental retardation, decreased penile size, decreased motivation for life, men growing breasts, memory loss, irreversable brain damage, and you turning into a burnt-out pot zombie.

Now some of those things may be true, but did you know that if you overdose on dihydrogen monoxide, you will die a horrible death? And most dangers are blown out of proportion, so what do pro-stoners do? They ignore the dangers and say that pot doesn't cause memory loss, etc. You can't blame them - the governments are (and have) been lying to citizens about MJ for decades.

But two wrongs don't make a right, and an eye for an eye leaves the world blind.
'
On to my response.

The effects of marijuana are varied by the plant, the smoker, the smoker's experience, and the method they use. So that's alot of variability to define something.

For an experienced smoker such as myself, here are the effects I expect to get when I smoke up:

-A funny feeling on my face, due to increased tactile sensitivity, which may indicate that I look sh*t-faced (but often doesn't)

-If I haven't smoked for a while, or I'm smoking some VERY good stuff, I'll notice my pupils dilating more than usual. MJ is fat-soluble, so the chemical, THC (tetrahydrocannobinol) stays in your fat. If you don't burn the fat, it'll stay for 6 months or more, slowly being drawn out by its half-life.

-Decreased or increased focus, depending on what I'm doing and how absorbed I am (something I've learned to control)

-Decreased short-term memory, leading to misplacement of objects, "tip-of-the tongue" kind of state when trying to remember something, and interruptions of trains of thought by other, more numerous trains of thought. If you read up on it, it's the opposite of amnesia - your brain actually cannot keep up with all the thoughts flowing, and has to dump processes to keep up with reality.

-Increased appreciation for sound, taste, smell and visuals - including those found during a nature walk. I heard sex is much better too.

-Time dilation. This started my whole interest in marijuana, but it is true that once you're experienced enough with your body and how this drug affects it, you know what activities will make time pass by so slowly. For me, it's a time of concentration, focus and enjoyment, perhaps the "optimal experience" that you can google. It's awesome. I would know because I've experienced it several times while sober.
The side effect of the time dilation is that you notice the opposite when waking up, or when not being fully alert - music may seem to play too fast, you may feel you're thinking too slowly, etc. It's something that's yet to be seriously explored and accepted.

-A general uplifting mood, "euphoria", but that depends on the set and setting. Sometimes there is no euphoria and being high just feels normal and comforting. That's my sign of addiction.
The downside is that...when you've been to the Garden of Eden, you tend to miss it, and everything pales in comparison. That might lead you to smoke more, try harder drugs, but if you're in control of yourself, you'll take being high as being high - something that God has given you a chance to do - so don't abuse it (or you'll find your ass in jail).

-The munchies. Pot decreases the inhibitions for you to eat. It does increase the taste, perhaps because you're so absorbed in eating, but most of all, it allows you to consume things that you may not normally eat (say you're a member of a vegetarian church, you get high, and now you're in trouble). You may also find that you don't feel like stopping until you're more than comfortably filled with food.

-While eating, I might look like a pig if I don't control myself. But I do. It's a test my friend's parents gave him - something delicious to eat, and if he wolfs it down, he's probably high.

-Increased focus where my eyes are looking, but decreased perception of peripheral vision. If you're not careful, you're not gonna see that car coming.

-Paranoia. That's a "side" effect, but it's really your brain's natural tendency to associate things. For smokers who have only smoked under fear of being caught, every time they smoke, their brain associates smoking with fear. Fear turns to paranoia, and eventually you may feel it if you're sober. But it's just unconscious mental conditioning, so if you're well-informed, intelligent, and have the willpower, you can over-ride it. But it's a pain. Now I make sure there is no chance I'll get caught. It seems to work. Who wants to go to jail? Not me.

-Depending on how much you've smoked and your tolerance, you may experence closed-eye visuals (like something out of a visualization of Window's Music Player, but much more beautiful and personal). Some doses and varieties lead to hallucination-like artifacts, so you should always make sure you're high in a responsible setting, with no responsibilities of your own for the next 4-10 hours (depending on tolerance).

-Some people experience weed - induced headaches. Some show up days after smoking, others occur while you're still high. It's most likely just starvation of oxygen (in which case, take a breath of fresh air between hits next time). The cause of headaches may also be contaminants in the weed itself (fertilizer, Windex (tm), etc.). Always have a trustworthy dealer who knows his stuff. Or grow it yourself. You may wind up in the ER thinking that you're dying because of the contaminants (or due to your inexperence - don't be stupid like the cop that took confiscated weed, had his wife make brownies, and ended up calling 911. You-tube it). I've had headaches, so I know when to stop smoking. It doesn't take much to get high, but smoking over a gram at once is usually over-doing it.

-Decreased motivation. After all, if you're having fun, why do homework? Or go to work? Oh wait, there are reasons for those things. If you keep your head above the drug, it won't control you, and you will be the master of your own body and mind. It just takes perseverance and an open mind. And some money. And some time. I'd go on...but due to years of smoking pot, I'm not motivated enough to finish this paragraph.

-Loss of co-ordination. Don't be surprised you're bumping into things. But it's so much less than when you're drunk...between alcahol and MJ, MJ is by FAR the safer drug. And as for video-game coordination and the like...it often makes it better. I don't know why. Maybe because your brain is only focused on interpreting visual information and controlling the muscles in your arms, nothing else.

-Sleepiness (generally), or hyperactivity. Some people smoke before going to bed because it helps them sleep, and has almost no side effects when compared to traditional sleep-helping drugs out of the pharmacy. It won't screw up your sleep cycle. Unless you abuse it....get where I'm getting at?

Hyperactivity is an effect that some people experience instead of sleepiness, but it's just one of those things tied to your genes, body chemistry and metabolism.

-I didn't mention this, but it does make you more social. It relieves inhibitions - to a point - until you become too stoned/high to react to people and become absorbed in your own world. Which, for a short time, is actually very self-reflectional. You can learn many things about yourself if you don't lose your head.

The downside is...the people who smoke incessantly, forgo social contact, become seriously addicted, can't function without smoking, and basically walk around like useless meat bags. They should be helped, not ridiculed. Anything done to the brain can be undone.

I think that's it. And remember: your brain is making associations all the time. If you smoke and have a good time, you'll likely have a good time next time. If you get caught by cops, sent to jail, and come back in a few years...you might avoid it. If you only eat while high, you won't eat food as much when you're actually sober. It might even become repulsive and make you throw up. (kinda like people undergoing chemotherapy, smoking pot to keep the nausea down). Everything you do before, during and after being high becomes imprinted in your brain (albeit ever so slightly), and knowing that, you can create the best hours of your life. Or be part of your own demise.

The choice is yours. As it should be. Right?

well said. Personally weed, helps me sleep, eat, and feel good about myslef. You do build tolerances. I enjoy reading when I'm high..i go off on tangents reading random things on Wiki. Yet i dont seem to have fuzzy memories, not anymore anyway..its as though your brain adapts or learns how to function when its high. I can vividly recall most things I do when I'm high. At first i thought studying high was impossible, which its not. For me, I tend to read slower and wonder more, but if you have plenty of time to sit down and look over your study notes or to read something then perfect. Your mind completely concentrates on what you are doing, so I've associated my getting high before bed time with a fun educational time. :-) Although, if you have a huge exam coming up, and you really need to cram then weed is not an option for that period of time. You can get more done in less time when sober, that is true.

The main reason I started smoking weed was because i found myself bored all the time. I have notice that after breaks in smoking, i do find some foods revolting. Thats not really an issue though. It only takes about a week to get your appatite back. I go to the gym 5 days a week and run 45 min everyday. I find myself more motivated to go do things when I'm high. I like to go to starbucks high and read. I like going to the mall high, its just so much less boring. I also have more vivid dreams when i have breaks off of weed, which i love. My thought on that is that the weed represses dreams when while i'm smoking and when i am not high, i appreciate the dreams i have more.

all the various methods of smoking definely change the type of high you get. I cant get near as high off of a joint, which is really overrated. I much prefer a gravity bong as the smoke is much cooler on the lungs.

its surprising how many ppl i know smoke weed. just about all my friends in university do. I have several friends that smoke for the same reasons i do. I managed to maintain an A- average as do many of my friends. I wonder sometimes if i was a non weed smoker, if my grades would be better? but i've come to the opinion, no, as i would just be less motivated.

Thats my story. I do agree, grow your own weed (you can buy all sorts of seeds, its not illeagal), or find a good dealer.

CYBBLES IS A GENIUS!! HE HAS IT ALL RIGHT!! im exactly like him..
Marijuana is just one of those things that few people understand..
but he puts it perfectly.. it is a gift sent from god, not to be abused, and not to be let take control.. u stay in control, and theres so much you can learn..

There are some interesting comments made here. I am happy to see that other people have an elaborate conception of pot and its effects on the human mind and body. Let me add to this.

"-Paranoia. That's a "side" effect, but it's really your brain's natural tendency to associate things. For smokers who have only smoked under fear of being caught, every time they smoke, their brain associates smoking with fear. Fear turns to paranoia, and eventually you may feel it if you're sober. But it's just unconscious mental conditioning, so if you're well-informed, intelligent, and have the willpower, you can over-ride it. But it's a pain. Now I make sure there is no chance I'll get caught. It seems to work. Who wants to go to jail? Not me."

Totally agreed. So the cause of this symptom is not the weed intoxication itself, but the circumstances in which it occurs. If weed was legaly, moraly and socialy accepted, very few people would be paranoid when.

"Decreased motivation. After all, if you're having fun, why do homework? Or go to work? Oh wait, there are reasons for those things. If you keep your head above the drug, it won't control you, and you will be the master of your own body and mind. "

Anything can keep you from homework. If your not a responsible person in the first place, chances are you won't be when your high. Being stoned does not fundamentally change who you are. Being high is fun and easy, that makes it an obvious choice for people who already do not have motivation.

"Some people smoke before going to bed because it helps them sleep, and has almost no side effects when compared to traditional sleep-helping drugs out of the pharmacy. It won't screw up your sleep cycle. Unless you abuse it....get where I'm getting at?"

I don't know if pot helps me sleep better, but it definitly does not help me to go to sleep. I've always had trouble going to sleep because I think too much. Pot makes me think even more, at least I think, so smoking before going to sleep is not good for me.

"-I didn't mention this, but it does make you more social. It relieves inhibitions - to a point - until you become too stoned/high to react to people and become absorbed in your own world. Which, for a short time, is actually very self-reflectional. You can learn many things about yourself if you don't lose your head."

In relation to the last part of my comment, I must say I enjoy thinking before going to sleep and I do smoke before, it's kind of like a meditation on myself, my day, and every tother thing that could come through my mind. I learn alot from this. "Your own world" is not necessarily centered on yourself.

"-Decreased short-term memory, leading to misplacement of objects, "tip-of-the tongue" kind of state when trying to remember something, and interruptions of trains of thought by other, more numerous trains of thought. If you read up on it, it's the opposite of amnesia - your brain actually cannot keep up with all the thoughts flowing, and has to dump processes to keep up with reality. "

True! That's why I always keep a pen and paper near! Pot seems to increase my philosophical inspiration both in the way you put it (about the flow of thoughts) and in the perspective of looking at a problem. I must say though that I do not necessarily need this for philosophy, that would be a problem.

"I also have more vivid dreams when i have breaks off of weed, which i love. My thought on that is that the weed represses dreams when while i'm smoking and when i am not high, i appreciate the dreams i have more. "

I noticed this only recently, and many people have told me this. We tend to have less dreams when we smoke before going to sleep. I think that there are two possible explanations for this. 1- Weed decreases the amount of dreams you have. This means pot has some effect on your unconscious mind, since that's where dreams come from. The next question then would be, what other effects, if any, does weed have on your unconscious? 2- Weed does not decrease the amount of dreams you have, but short-circuits your memory so you don't remember them. Now is this good or bad? I don't know. But if your going through a psychoanalytic treatment, the logical thing to do would be not to smoke and have dreams to talk about.

" I enjoy reading when I'm high. For me, I tend to read slower and wonder more, but if you have plenty of time to sit down and look over your study notes or to read something then perfect."

True, but moderation is of importance here. I can't read when I'm blazed out of my mind.

I believe in moderation, but how do you know when your smoking too much? Is smoking once or twice a day too much?

That's it for now, when I get high and think of something else, I'll come and add to this. In the mean time, your replies are appreciated!