veggie wrote:

I had chalazion surgery two weeks ago. Before the surgery my doctor told me that my vision was being affected by the chalazion -- it was causing a temporary astigmatism. He removed the chalazion surgically and told me my vision should return in a week or so. It's been two weeks and I'm still having vision issues. The swelling from the surgery has gone down but my vision has not returned to normal. Has anyone experienced this or have some advice for me. It's freaking me out. I had 20/15 vision before the chalazion appeared.

Thanks!!!

Now that time has passed (and I found this topic as I have exactly same problem) has your eyesight gotten back? I had 20/13 in my right eye and now my eyes are full of astigmatism :s

Have anyone else had such problems and how did your eyes heal?

HEY! Perfect timing, I had mine removed yesterday.
During the anesthetic, i passed out, don't expect that to happen, i'm just very weak with this kinda stuff. During the surgery, i was laughing and talking, it was a piece of cake! I walked out of their normally, i didn't wear an eye patch or anything, onlybecause he made me apply pressure for 15 minutes. then NO BLOOD what so ever. but the this is, now i still feel a lump... what is that?? is it going to go away?? please let me know =[ thankssssssssssssss!! :-D

:roll: Very few of you need worry about having a chalazion removed. Whilst any surgical work on or near the eye sounds frightening, In fact, unless there are unusual circumstances it is a straightforward routine operation involving only a little few drops of anaesthetic into the eye and eyelid. I have had 4 completed over about 10 years. (One under eye and 3 on eyelid). In every case the puffiness vanished after a few weeks with no external signs of scarring. Some are like small cysts and can be removed in a small sack without any excision or 'scraping'; others which have become infected or burst (puss escapes by eruption evacuates the eyelid) need more cleaning and draining. Sometimes a small suture is desirable but these days surgeons may use 'superglue' to close the incision which is cosmetically neat. If there is a little internal scar tissue this should not be a problem. very rarely this messes up the drainage to the tear ducts and needs a second minor op.

I had the surgery. No one here talks about the anesthetic needle in the eyelid that hurts so much. Thats the worst part of it all. Hurts like hell. After a year or so, the scar tissue subsided, but I also had what seemed like another one trying to form, it never go anywhere and went away. Now I have one on my other eye 2 years later...hooray!

There is a video of how chalazion surgery is performed if you are interested

eyesurgeryvideos.com/2008/05/chalazion-incision-and-drainage.html

so i have 2 styes that hardened... both on the bottom... idn but august 15th is when i get them removed....i rlly dont want the needle in my effin eyes but w.e i had 21 needles in one day onces so im used to needles.... but still owww i hope i dont need eye patches or ill be blind... ah ha maybe ill wear goggles...

I am 15 years old and I have had my chalazion for about a month now and at first the doctor had mistaken it for a stye. I went to a different kaiser to get it drained and they told me I had a chalazion and they were going to have to remove it. Im supposed to have my surgery this Thursday and im scared after reading everybody's opinions. The doctor said they can last up to two years which was why I was going to have the surgery but now Im beginning to think I shouldn't have the surgery. It looks liek it is getting smaller and it is kind of drying up...is that a good thing? I have been putting heat on it and trying to massage it....I havent been wearing my contacts or make up. What I really want to know is if anybody thinks the surgery is worth it. Because i really dont want this to get worse. :(

Do you think it will go away?
Or should I get the surgery?

I had a chalazion removed 2 days ago by standard procedure. I am using an antibiotic eye cream as instructed for 5 days.
My vision is WORSE than when I had the chalazion. Will this blurring go away?
Thanks - Jim

I had few surgeries and it would never end until I found a wonderful doctor why recommended me 4000mg of fish oil and 4000 mg flax oil daily.Since then I didn't have any.Good luck!

I was looking at possible surgery after trying lots of other ideas. Then I discovered Lecithin, an over the counter supplement that tends to thin secretions in the body. I tried it and in a matter of days the Chalazion is almost entirely gone. I post this in the hope it works for someone else. I recommend you research Lecithin to be sure it is appropriate for you, but it seems to have worked for me where nothing else did.

OO brother...CHAlazions smh...

Jusz wanna start off by saying a stye and a chalazion is 2 different things.I had a stye ABOUT 5 years ago and it went away within a month.. Last year sept 12th 2007 i noticed a lump on my eye. I figured "Hey its jusz another stye itll go away wifin days" .i Used warm compresses ,a medicine called stye m medicine from the dr, drops ,tea bags lets jusz say i used everything i could o get it to go down. smh ..so After 5 months i went bak to the dr and they offered chalazion surgery.i was so scared but i went through with it..Honestly it hurted like hell to me cuz of the clamp they used but the numbing part and stiches dont hurt at all. So i waited a week for the swellen to go down figuring it would be gone. it wasnt =[ ..so i went bak to the dr in may and they scedualed another surgery to get it removed. This one hurted more then the first smh. But i went through with it figuring it would go away but it didnt..So i went bak september 08(a year later) and they offered another surgery. I told them only if they put me to sleep..HAd to keep begging but they decided to go through with it. So november 6th i came outta surgery{this time was the best ..nothing hurted cuz i was sleep=]] and waiting for the swellen to go down. I hope its gone cuz if its not then i dont know wat else to do :-( ..Hope u have better luck then i did

you can bring the chalazion to a head, but do you have time for this & more importantly, can your ego handle this? I work from home, so I decided to wait it out & man is it UGLY. i refuse to leave now! mine was pretty big, so it came to a few different points that looked like white heads. it is draining on its own, in different parts, just working its way through. it's got big yellow plugs of pus on it. I put antibiotic cream on it.

how have i gotten it to this "head?"
Buy a facial steamer & steam once or twice a day. you'll never be able to hot compress your way here. it's just too messy and annoying. buy the steamer. after steaming, put your hot compress in the microwave. soak a clean washcloth in a bowl of warm salt water. wring it & wrap it around the hot compress. then place over eye. when you're all done, coat area with neosporin & sleep with it.

i've got 2 more parts to drain on this beast & i'll come back & let you know how it goes. wish me luck.

i had one removed when i was a child and it came back years later but on the other eye. i had to get it removed and it sucked to go through that twice

so he didn't have to be awake for the ordeal.

I've had 3 incise-and-drain procedures to remove chalazion. I also feel a bit of 'clump' under my eyelid (for a lack of better words).

I've learned when my eyes flare up. Read more at my blog. whymyeye dot com. i don't have chalazion or blepharatis anymore because I've learned what my warning-flags so I can apply aggressive preventative medicine.