hi all,

i am scheduled in this Friday to get my chalizion removed in my upper right eyelid..

the doctor told me they would remove it from underside to prevent it from leaving a scar.

I am quite worried about the after effect of blinking and how long will it take so i don't feel anything.

Also even with local anesthetic is there still some pain?

the doctor also told me they cant guarantee that it will all be removed..

Should i go ahead with it??? any opinions

I just had someone I know get theirs removed. The doctors at first thought it was a stye and told them to place a hot pad over the eye and it'd go away. It didn't. Finally after waiting months they got in for surgery of the eye. Doctor said it was a chalazion and removed it from the eye. Took 15 minutes and 3 days later the astigmatism is getting better.

After the surgery the eye gets a little swollen but it gets better. Surgery doesn't hurt that much.

Seriously, the shot in the eyelids hurts like hell! I found myself gripping down and arching my back it hurt so bad... and I have a pretty good threshold for pain.

I had my removal done yesterday on the upper and lower lid
"One big cluster" is what my doc called it
it was like like 2 big chalazions attached to one another on the upper lid
and a big bump right in the lower tear duct of my eye
the freezing needle was a little painful and after having 2 injections i had another 2 just so assure that the area was indeed frozen

the procedure was not that bad as i did not feel anything except a little pressure on my eye
after the proceure was done my doc had a look at my eye and said he just wanted to double check something
so he put the clamp back on and at this point some of the anasthesia had worn off so it was VERY PAINFUL and i told him so he quickly finished up

after he put a patch over my eye... at this point i was in extreme pain
this was probably the most painful part
the whole car ride home was terrible.. i quickly popped in some pain killers and i was fine
and it is now the day after and i don't feel any pain
it is very bruised and a little swollen though

I PRAY I NEVER HAVE TO GO THROUGH THAT AGAIN! :'(

I am so glad I found this thread. I was not sure why I still have a little clump/lump/bump :] after the procedure and if I should go back to the doctor or not. I had a chalazion since July, 2008. I had it removed on my spring break, last Tuesday (31 March, 2009). I was scared of the needle, but I almost did not feel it...I had 2 injections before the procedure and another 2 to assure that the anasthesia worked. It was painful when he started the procedure and cut the tissue, but after that I did not feel anything. I got very nervous, so I had this weird feeling in my stomach (almost a panic attack) and for me it was the worst part. It did not hurt at all after the procedure. I was supposed to take Tylenol as a pain reliever, but I did not need it. For the next five days, I was instructed to use warm compresses three times a day for twenty minutes. I also had a prescription for antibiotic drops, four times a day. I did everything as instructed, but the lump would not go away, so I got nervous if it is another chalazion, because I definitely do not want to do the procedure again. Thank you for your help! Best of luck to everyone!

I just had my surgery 4 days ago for two chalazions on my left eye
one on the upper and one on the lower
my eye is healing and the top lid does not look the same as the other lid but there is no longer a bump the lower lid is a little bruised but i still feel the lump! it's like the same lump as before but just SMALLER i am so sad about this
i really don't want to be stuck with another one
or have to go through a surgery again
any advice ???????

I have had removed 2 chalazions, the first one when I was barely eighteen and the second one not a week ago (I am almost 20). There's a chance I will have to go through the surgery *yet* again in case other chalazions grow inside my eyelids.
The first surgery hurt like hell and it was very uncomfortable. Especially the injection, I even screamed (even though I am a girl I have a very high pain threshold). Then for the second surgery I looked for another doctor, this one seemed to be more capable of operating me, and the surgery was A LOT better, it didn't hurt at all (it was only slightly uncomfortable but very bearable) and the day after the swelling was almost gone.

The lump WILL go away eventually. I still have a small bump but it's slowly disappearing. The last time it took me about three to four weeks for the bump to flatten (I remember that because I started wearing my contacts again a month after the sugery), but since this time the chalazion was slightly bigger, it will probably take longer, but I don't care. But don't worry, the final result is excellent and no one will notice you had any eye-related problems.

Good luck. ;-)

I also had a chalazion removed @ the end of March. Most of the swelling is gone but there is still a smaller, hard lump there and it is red on that spot. It sounds like that is normal from reading these posts? It feels different, like scar tissue. The dr told me everyone heals at different rates.

How long does it typically take for the lump to completely flatten? I am at week 3 today. Thanks.

Hey could some of you post your recovery
detailing how long you had your chalazion
and the progress after surgery (ie how long scar tissue or the lump was there)

and if there are still remnants, how big and noticeable are they?

this would be greatly appreciated!

thankyou!

Can someone please reply to me?

I also have these bumps on my eye, they get pretty big, first I thought they were stys, but now I'm sure they are chalazions.

However, they start off big in the 1st 2-3 days, but get smaller at the end of the week. They still kind of are there, though.

Well latest, I got another one. This time in the bottom of my eye-lid. Hopefully this one at least reduces in size, I will be able to tolerate that.

I just had the surgery done in early march to remove the chalazion.. really scared before the surgery. The shot was VERY painful. It was in the outside corner of my eye (not in the eye obviously). After the shot was done the eye docctor flipped the eye-lid over and made an incision. Then he took the "stuff" out. After the shot was done with in the beginning, it was just a uncomfortable throughout the procedure. The next day is rough but everyday the "swollen eye" gets noticeably smaller and smaller. I personally recommend cleaning your eyelids regularly even after the surgery because I recently (couple weeks ago) saw a new one quickly forming on my other eye lid! My eye doctor said 4x a day for 5 minutes of warm compress. As hot as you can stand without burning yourself. Keep it clean and don't touch or rub your eyes.

I had a chalazion operation last week and I still have a small lump on my eyelid! Now that I read other comments, it seems to be normal, I'm just wondering how much longer does it take to be flat again!?

i had a chalazion removal two weeks ago and the lump is bigger. is it going to go??? please someone tell me it is, because im just so fed up.

it took the hospital 6 chuffing months to decide to remove and now a double the sized one its place!

i know this sounds stupid and petty, but since ive had - ive not wore any eye makeup- in fact i threw it all away. and i dont feel like going out anywhere or doing anything because its so noticeable and i cant even get dressed up nicely for parties - and i have so many weddings this summer.

arrr im just fed up!!

I myself have a chalazion and my eye doctor said i do not need surgery. It will not affect my vision because it is farther up and does not scratch my eye like most. he gave me a prescription for eye drops that are like a steriod. I do not recall the name but that might help yoiur daughter

I had to remove two in one eye. One in the upper lid and one in the lower lid. Ugh I hate them. The one I top would swell on somedays that I refused to go to school. Anyway, I can't believe your doctors stuck a needle in you! My doctor (thankfully) did it in a no pain way. He gave me some pills to take and he numbed my eye with eye drops. My dad thought I was sleeping when they did surgery, but it was just the pills they gave me so I would be all calm. I remember the convo the doctor had and seeing the pus he took out, but I couldn't react. Anyway it took about 3-5 days I think to recover. It was pretty nasty under the eye patch I'll tell you that much. Now I have another HUGE chalazion in my other eye.... I honestly don't know why only us lucky people get them.