My doctor told me that the surgery can be done while awake or unconscious, and after having it done while awake, I recommend having it done the other way for a child. It was uncomfortable and, despite not being terribly painful, you can feel and hear everything that it happening. It may be a bit much for the child to deal with while awake. You should talk to your doctor about any concerns you have, as they'll be able to help you more.

Hi Kenner

I haven't done my chalazion operation yet but I know it is very easy. There will be no scar because the operation will be done from inside the eyelid. It will be done using local anesthesia. If you felt there is another one growing there, just use warm compress on it when it is small. Then it will disappear. Don't bother and trust your doctor.

Should you have any other question, I will be glad to reply you. I will have it removed the day after tomorrow.

Tagi,

kenner wrote:

Is there anyone who had a chalazion removed? I am wondering if anyone who has had a chalazion removed has eyelid returned to normal or do you have scar tissue left? I ask is because had one, and had it removed a while back. Now my eyelid is not completely flat the way it used to be and I have another bump, and my doctor says it’s like a papillome or a skin tag inside my eyelid and it should eventually go away, but it freaks me out.

My 6 year old son is going to have 2 removed from his lower eye lid in 5 weeks time.
Now I have the date for him, Im getting really worried now, of what he will have to
go through.

He will be put to sleep, but that is all I know at the moment.

Does anyone know if he will have to stay in hospital over night, will he have stitches,
does the eye get really swollen after???

Any help/advice would be great.
Thanks

I will also be getting surgery to remove the chalazion in my left eye. I was told that I will be put to sleep, the procedure takes about 45 minutes, the cut will be done from inside the eyelid so there will be no scar. It will be an outpatient process and I can go home as soon as I wake up. Recovery time will be about 4-5 days but bruising may last as long as 2 weeks.

Good luck to your son.

YES!! I get all of this!! But does it HURT!! I ma so SCARED

Look here's the deal.
I looked on this website prior to my chalazion surgery and got all nervous...
It's not worth it trust me.
Everyone has a different experience depending on the severity of the problem, the doctor they see, etc.
My surgery went fabulously. It was quick, painless, and when I tool the bandage off 4 hours later my eye looked almost completely normal...maybe just a little puffy (but that's to be expected). Today it looks like it did before the chalazion.
So I just wanted to share this in case anybody else reads these things and gets a little scared.
Don't worry too much. Have it dealt with my your eye doctor. They know what they're doing more than any website does.
Cheers and not to worry. Take it as it comes.

My chalazion appeared in June and I had surgery to remove it in August. It's now November and there's still a red bump. I am frustrated!

I do use Symalasian stye eye drops, which helps the redness. Those drops also helped another one in my other eye, which started to form and got all puffy every morning. Eventually, that one went away and didn't leave a chalazion.

The bump that I've had since June has good days and bad days. Some days it's bigger, usually after I've gotten lazy and not done the hot compresses. Every night I try to microwave a washcloth and then put the steaming hot thing on my eye.

I've also bought potatoes, and microwaved them and then gone to sleep with my face propped up against a wet washcloth wrapped around the potato. The potato holds the heat better.

Other than that, I don't know what to do. I don't want the surgery again because it hurt me at the time, and then I had to wear an eye patch. Plus I'm in a new job so I don't want to take the time off work.

Most upsetting is that my chalazion eyelid is droopier than the other one now. It's hurt my self esteem quite a bit. I try to mitigate it, though, by using an eyelash curler and putting mascara on the tips of my eyelashes, so they sort of disguise the red bump. That, with the Similasan (which you can buy at Target or the pharmacy over the counter) really help.

Hope that helps.

hello, i am a 16 year old girl and ive had my chalazion for about 3 months. i first went to an ophthalmologist and she said it would "drain on its own with a hot compress, some tobradex drops, and a prescription she gave me. 3 weeks later and nothing she prescribed me left, it was still there and bigger. So i went to an eye surgeon and he said it WAS NOT going away and that i needed surgery.

i was terribly nervous. he put numbing drop in my eye, stung a little but did not hurt in the least, then he put topical antiseptic on my eyelid. when he put the needle in the corner of my eye i didn't even know he stuck me until he said something! no pain at all. but when he did put the novacane in my eyelid i could feel it and it tingled and stung a bit. on a pain scale of 1-10.. 1.3(: the procedure was quick and instant.. the only thing i could feel were the tools inside of my lid which made me pass out :-( but i do have a history of fainting easily.. and it didnt help i watched a million videos on other people getting the disgusting surgery done. lol so NO PAIN! do not be nervous.. it is so not all the hype you think it as. i still have a little bump and my eyelid is a bit tender.. but all in all minimal bruising and no pain :-) WOOH! BUT.. a word of advice. do not waist your time with eye drops or meds if you have had it for longer than 3 months.. also after the surgery still apply compresses to reduce swelling :-) just fyi? <3 :-D

I'm having one that's been there for almost 4 years removed tomorow. When it first occured it was massive and it ws diagnosed as a stye; clearly i did warm water compreses and the like and it got a lot smaller, and it's not too noticeable, since my right lower eyelis is really droppy and makes the eyes asymetrical anyway, I'm hopeing this will help balance it out a little bit since the bump has impeded my left eyelid from completely retracting. i recently i've started to get anonyed by it again and decided to finally have it removed.

I'm wondering if it's worse to remove: aka more scarring/swelling, if it has been there longer.

Well, I had mine for 15 months, I decide to get it removed yesterday, it was so scare, but I did it.
Yes the doctor put the clap and all the things that everybody else say, today I see that my eye is swollen and purple, but I believe is because just happend yesterday and hopefuly will get better.
I feel something inside my eye lid, I'm guessing is the scar where the doctor make the hole to draing the chalazion.

If you not a nervous person and not scare to shots, you will be fine, I'm a fraid of all this, so I was shacking all the time, even do Im thinking all the prosess was about 30 minutes.
good luck!
If you have a sty or chalazion appering in your eye, inmidially put warm towels in your eye and donot let it grow, do this as many times you can, to avoid the surgery.

I just wanted to say that I had one removed in october, it is march now, and today i realized you can't see any of the swelling or lump at all. if you shine a very bright light on my eyelid you can sort of see that the veins cluster there but it is NOTHING compared to how it was all last summer or when i had it removed.

i started taking fish oil right after the surgery and did some compresses, and put on the ointment she gave me.

the first week it looked a little WORSE actually, my eye was swollen and black and blue in some places.

to be honest, my doctor was awful, mean, and careless with my eye. she told me that she didn't think i was "emotionally ready" for the "surgery" (in office, local anesthetic to remove something that embarrassed me to no end). then she couldn't get my eye numb and told me that i must be weird because no one needed as many shots as i did. even with a crappy doctor, it did go away eventually.

as much as it hurt (for me!) i would totally recommend people just get it. don't let the doctor tell you to put a compress on it if you have been doing it for weeks and nothing has changed. they just want to charge you for two visits. be forceful, tell them what you have been doing and what you WANT - it GONE! its not a serious surgery at all, its like popping a zit ... inside your eye.

so i just got a chalazion removed one week ago and it really wasnt painfuul. only afterward when the injection wore off did i begin to feel the pain. warm compresses did nothing for me so it is true that surgury is the only option for some people. i still have a bump left too which kinda sucks but from what im reading, im gonna give it another three-four weeks and if it is not gone by then, i will go back to the doctor and have it checked out.

I just had my surgery done 3 days ago. My bump is only slightly smaller but still noticeable. I don't know if it's because I might have needed more anesthesia or if it was a careless doctor but the pain was terrible. I had to have my friend hold my arms down. I cursed through out the entire procedure which lasted about 3 minutes. I felt everything. The clamp was the worse part of it all. You couldn't pay me to go through this again. Do not mean to alarm any one but I would definitely try other measures before resorting to this surgery. I'm more angry at the fact that I was left with the impression that my eye would return to normal immediately but this has not been the case. In fact, i feel I look worse with the bruising produced by the clamp. I'm just hoping that in a few days there will be some sign of improvement and that the extreme pain was worth it. :'(

I just had a chalazion removed today and all of you are saying theres a bumb left from the scar tissue. This really upsets me because i have had styes over and over again and im tired of bumps on my eyes! I just really hopes that I dont have to have bump and maybe have normal eyes, its been a while? Im still confused why i even got a chalazion but my eyses have always been extremley sensitive. I wish you all good luck and truse me the procedure is not that bad.

I've had one for over a year now, it doesnt hurt but doesnt look pleasant. I've been to the doctors many times and been prescribed all sorts but nothing has worked. I really want to go and have the surgery done but my doctor has said to get a metal spoon in boiling water then place it near my eye but not on it. its supposed to make it swell then pop. Been doing this a couple of weeks but it doesnt seem to be working. The doctor has said that the scar is almost as worse as the chalazion but i just want the thing gone!!! Can anyone tell me if the scar is really that bad and whether surgery is the best option??