Hello! My best friend’s child was diagnosed with appendicitis and had to be operated right away after suffering from fever, diarrhea, and vomiting. Luckily, my friend took the child to a doctor and didn’t try to treat it herself. Then I caught myself thinking and I realized I had no idea what an appenics is actually. What kind of function does it have in the body? Is there anybody who could tell be about it? Thank you

The name is appendix and it is a small organ that is attached to the large intestine. It is situated in the lower right side of the abdomen. It has no function in the body but makes trouble. Appendix forms a cul-de-sac that usually opens into the large intestine. If that opening gets blocked, the appendix may swell and can easily get infected by bacteria. If not spotted in time and removed, appendix can burst and the bacteria and infection can spread throughout the abdomen. Now, that can cause real trouble.