My little sister was urgently taken to hospital last night because her appenicx burst. She was operated immediately. Can anybody explain to me how this happened as my mom is too frustrated and I don’t even know if she knows! Could this have been prevented? Thank you in advance for the information!

Apendix is a small, tube-like structure attached to the large intestine. It is located in the lower right portion of the abdomen. It has no function in the body and it’s removal causes no change in digestive function. Appendicitis is an inflammation of an appendix and it relates to blockage of the inside of the appendix. The blockage leads to increased pressure, impaired blood flow, and inflammation. If the blockage is not treated, gangrene and rupture (breaking or tearing) of the appendix can result. Usually, feces blocks the inside of the appendix. Also, bacterial or viral infections in the digestive tract can lead to swelling of lymph nodes, which squeeze the appendix and cause obstruction. There are usually signs that appendicitis has developed like low fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. If it is spotted in time, it can be removed and cause no more trouble. If not spotted in time, it can burst like in your sister’s case and bring health impairment. Anyway, I hope everything works out well for your sister.