I have been having problems with chronic appendicitis and reappearing abdominal pain in the lower right quadrant. They never decided to take my appendix out and now they found an appendicolith they haven’t seen before. I was wondering if this appendicolith was a cause of all my troubles and reoccurring appendicitis and if you could tell me more about it. Thank you

Hi! I am a medical student and I have two gastrointestinal professors at the University. More than often they disagree about the same subject, so it is very hard to get the whole picture. Appendicoliths are calcified deposit within the appendix. It is said that it is common and that it may cause acute appendicitis which needs to be removed and therefore couldn’t be a cause of prolonged abdominal pain. Sometimes, they are just left in there if not causing nay trouble. Another opinion says that appendicoliths can be present in chronic appendicitis and not be the cause of it just an indicator. In adults, chronic appendicitis is common and it is said that it could be causing prolonged abdominal pain in the right lower abdomen.

I am not a doctor...but I speak from bitter experience...ask your doctor to do a tumour marker test to rule out an adenocarsinoma.