Last week I felt some pain in my stomach so I went to my doctor. He examined me with ultrasound and during that examination I felt severe pain. He told me that I have appendicitis. Can I get more information about this condition?

Appendicitis is a potentially dangerous condition and it occurs in both sexes. All ages are affected, but it usually occurs in the persons between the ages of 10 and 30 years and is more common in males. Appendicitis is an inflammation of the appendix. The appendix is a small, narrow, tubular appendage in the lower-right section of the abdominal cavity and it is usually 6 to 12 cm long and about 9 mm in diameter. No useful function of the appendix is known so far and the location of the appendix is not uniform. The appendix is easily infected because of its fullness of virulent organisms, inadequate blood supply and poor drainage. The wall of the appendix contains much lymphoid tissue which appears to be a factor in the localization of infection. There are two clinical types of appendicitis, catarrhal and obstructive. The most common symptom of appendicitis is usually central abdominal pain. It is often accompanied by anorexia, nausea and vomiting. The pain is sudden, intermittent and gradually progressing. It has a dull aching character. This pain is due to distention of the appendix and after several hours the abdominal pain becomes maximal and shifts to the right lower quadrant of the abdomen. If you are wondering about something that has to do with your condition, the best thing is to consult your doctor.