For whatever reason, I used to always try and run routes that were loops. Just had to encircle some acreage. Try to not cover the same ground twice. But lately, I notice I'm turning into and out n' back guy. Working on the negative split. Seeing everything twice over, but from different angles.
What's your pref?

I prefer the loop. do run some out and backs, but mostly a looper.

Loops for me! My 8.3 mile run is the only out and back I have.

Out n back guy. All my weekday runs are out and backs. But rare is the day I can run a neagtive split. Sadly, the downhill that kicks off the morning becomes the uphill that thwarts my best efforts.

My weekend long runs are loops. Never have liked running the loop very much.

A little of each. My standard loop at home is a lollypop. 2 miles out, 3 mile loop and then the same 2 miles back home.

--O

Oooo, the lollypop ...the best of both worlds.. mmm. :o

I'm actually quite loopie, however most of my runs are out and back.

mainly loops, but to mix it up gotta through in a few out and back days, out and backs are fun to time each way to see if you kicked it home!!

I have at least 20 loops around the house mapped out.

I have so many big/main streets I could easily make 20 more in no time.

On vacation though, it is always out and back, as to not get lost.

I find loops mentally easier to run than out and backs although I still do some of the latter. Ill probably have to do an out and back one on my long run this Saturday...

Loops, lollipops, really don't like O&B's.

Loops are good for longer runs so that in the event of sudden injury, you are never too far from your car or home. I jacked up my Achilles 7 miles away from my out and back starting point and had to limp all the way back. Loops are now my friend.

Also, loops are good for nature breaks. Let's say you drank chocolate milk and ate a cheese omelet before your run. On a loop, you at least have a shot at making it home. Out and back doesn't give you that kind of flexibility.

Plus, most races are loops. Not all, but most.

Finally, loops are good in the winter in the event of a sudden winter storm (maybe the surprise blizzards are only a CO thing) or for when you find out you didn't put on enough layers. One bout of weinersicle in the winter is enough to make the bravest of men consider moving to the loop format.

Howevah, I do run some Out and Backs and I'm all over that negative split thing, too. But I'm mostly a loop kind of guy.

PSA - don't forget to alternate directions of your loops as to not put too much stress on one side of your body. I learned this the hard way, too.

mostly out and back because I'm not that creative but one of my main out and backs involves a loop, so....?

That must be some house! 8O

Almost all of my routes are out and backs, although if I am running through the UNF campus then there are loops inside of the out and back if that makes any sense.