I have always been a very active person and extremely healthy eater.  I had swam all my life but had to stop before I came to college because my school has no pool.  Realizing this, I have had to cut back on what I eat and how I stay fit.  I work out 5-7 days a week for at least an hour.  I usually spend 30-60 minutes doing vigorous cardio on the elliptical or running outside.  I also do ab sets and leg exercises like squats as well.  For the past month I have been keeping an online food diary logging absolutely everything I eat or do in terms of physical activity. I also have a gluten-sensitivity and have cut that out of my diet completely.  But nothing has happened.  I am 5'4 and 135 lbs.  I have gained 15 lbs since graduation and I have no idea why. I consume around 1500 calories a day and burn around 450-700 depending on what I do for exercise that day.  I am starting to feel disgusting and consider trying other things like more restrictive eating or even taking laxatives.  I am desparate.  I no longer feel confident and can't even go out with my friends anymore because I feel insecure about the way I look.  When I go out in public or walk around campus all I notice is how skinny all the girls are and how they eat so much and it doesn't affect them. I look at other girl's legs and arms and see how small in comparison they are to mine.  I can't make it stop- what can i do?

hello sumit here,

since i know that u feel so bulky and insulted about it,but i had this problem also when i was 18(now 20).my weight was 72,but now it is 58.i'm feeling very much better now .so here is the solution

1.don't eat ur lunch(11:00 breakfast,2:00 pm lunch and dinner).

2.drink grean tea a lot when u feel hungry.

3.and do the exercise like running and crunches better u start gym.

4.and play sports.

that's all i did .i played too much cricket and i reduced my weight around 1 5kg.

so that's all i can answer .

best off luck

The recommendation by skd advising you to skip lunch is terrible and wrong. First of all NEVER skip meals. The minute you do, you force your body to think it's starving and so your metabolism actually SLOWS DOWN to conserve its storage of fuel. This means that you a) burn less fat b) have even more trouble losing weight because your body is trying to save your life and keep you from starving. That kind of solution (drinking green tea when you feel hungry/ skipping your lunch) will see you lose a few pounds for sure, but I guarantee you THE WEIGHT WILL COME BACK. The reason for this is that when you change your diet, the changes in your body are contingent on the fact that you maintain these changes. In other words, YOU HAVE TO EAT THAT WAY FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE if you want to stay thin by those terms. Who the heck wants to feel hungry all day every day 365 days a year? Absolute nonsense.

Also, I really hope that you aren't eating late at night either. Sure fire way to ruin your metabolism. Okay so the things I will say next only matter if you are SERIOUS about finding a long term weight loss solution. If you want a quick fix because you just want to be skinny rather than healthy, this ain't for you. Secondly, please remember that anything you do for your body in terms of getting into shape should be for YOU and not for others, or because you keep comparing yourself to others.

I have a feeling that your exercise routine has something to do with the lack of results, You have to know your body, and without going in depth into things, I will say that everyone's body is different - the way we are shaped often indicates whether we gain weight easily, lose it easily, gain muscle quickly etc. Research the following body types: mesomorph, ectomorph, endomorph. An exercise regimen should be based on this and accurately target the areas you need worked on. Cardio is great, but I've seen girls spend hours on the treadmill or ellipticals and not lose a pound. It all depends on your body and what you do for/ to it.

I can give you two solutions, depending on how you want to go about it and your budget: Look into "The Show It Love Workout" by Kacy Duke. Buy that book and follow it to the letter. You will love it and you'll see your self esteem begin to rise as your body begins to change.

If you can afford a gym membership: Weight training is an excellent way to begin burning fat and see weight loss - if you do it correctly, you will see the pounds begin to melt away and you will look and feel fabulous in the bargain. I say you do interval cardio training for 10 mins (for instance, run at a pretty good pace at an incline that challenges you for 1 minute, then slow down and walk for a minute until 10 mins is up) , then hit the weights and don't be scared of them. I prefer free weights and medicine balls (ps I am a woman so I do know how you feel.), and I do reps with 10 -15lb weights. You can and should begin at a lower level at first (5lbs -10 lbs) and either increase as your strength builds or maintain one that challenges you somewhat, since if you keep increasing the weights you just might get more muscular than you'd like. There are of course, the weight machines at your disposal. I could go on and just draft a workout regimen for you here, but if you don't know how to use the machines or weights at the gym effectively, consider hiring a personal trainer. They'll assess you and your body's needs properly and tell you everything I've said and more, and will teach you how to work out for the rest of your life.  You can do it! Make it happen!

I quickly wanted to add that while my user name is KC, I'm not the author of The Show It Love Workout. I did use that book with amazing results - the personal trainers at my gym ask ME what I do now - and I also passed it on to my sister who also had good results. It's all about being consistent. You don't need to get the book; it's just a cheaper alternative to getting a gym membership. The same consistent attitude applies though.