yesterday my husband and i had sex. when he went to the bathroom to urinate blood came out. then a big blood clot came out while he was still urinating. only a little at a time (urine) was coming out like he was having difficulties or maybe a slight pain.should i be worried about catching a "STD" or what? when i went online they mostly talked about prostate?????tell me something i'm losing my mind trying to figure this out. thanx

i had an identical experience as the husband in the last posting. after i had sex i went to the restroom to urinate and blood came out fallowed by a blood clot. there was some discomfort and difficulty getting urine to flow. is this a serious problem? why did it happen? what can i do to treat it? thanks.

right....this problem started for me when i was about 16....and i have had episodes that have lasted as little as a week to about a month....rarely happens during sex and so mostly occurs when i'm loving myself haha...i have been for scrotal ultrasounds and had my kidneys checked and my prostate over the years...all tests are normal and my doc suggests it is something called hematospermia. this can be anything from a weak blood vessel to infrequent inflamation of the urethra....best to have all the tests done just for peace of mind...i wont lie i have spent many moments worrying about this and to be honest when you concentrate hard on something like this and worry about it, you can make any little ache and twinge mean cancer.....i have read up on hematospermia and it is basically a gray area....too hard to go in and have a look at and it's pretty self limiting so always heals of it's own accord...none of the tests i have had hurt so get to the doc and rule out the bad news...peace mate and may your willy still perform well even if it's only 80% of the time haha

Agreed... I have had this problem off and on for about 5 years. Very first time I read it can happen due to an infection, got checked, no infection. Second time was two years later and it was off and on for a month. Went to urologist, got a cat scan for kidneys, they didnt see anything. Ive also had a blood test (TSA I think theyre called). All clear.

What bugs me is the pure infrequency of it. It comes out of nowhere. Im trying to keep track of when it happens so maybe I can associate it with something. I dont drink enough water, I know that. I think it is a weak blood vessel combined with lack of hydration and antioxidants.

I have also had the same problem off and on for several years. When it happened for the first time I was having rough sex so I figured I must have popped a blood vessel and I didn't worry to much about it. The second time it happened I urinated blood after sex along with several small blood clots. To be honest after I seen the blood clots i felt like passing out. I was freaked! So I go to a urologist some two months later......and he suggest x-rays and a cystoscopy. The x-rays were fine and the cystoscopy was painless. The docter mentioned that I had inflammation of my prostate due to an infection called prostatitis. I was prescribed an antibiotic called doxycycline and was told that the symptom will go away but might come back since it is difficult to treat the prostate. He also mentioned that if I wanted to get rid of the sympton for good then I would have to take this medication that shrinks my prostate for the rest of my life...

So the symptom came back around again recently and this time the blood clot that came out was the size of a leach. And this time it seemed like a clot was in the way of my urine. Thankfully it only happens once after sex and not every time I urinate. I wont be having sex until after I visit my urologist...I might need another round of antibiotics....

I have been experiencing this problem off and on for several years. Antibiotics seemed to help at first, but I was finally referred to a cancer center for testing...nothing showed up. Last week, after a round of moderately rough sex, the problem reared its ugly head again....this time so severe was the clotting I ended up in the hospital to be catheterized because I COULDN'T urinate at all. The ER physician suggested I get a referral from my urologist to make a trip to Mayo Clinic. That sems extreme. Is anyone having any luck with alternate treatments? ?

I am 27 and first had this problem about 2 years ago and has happened about four times in that duration. The first time it happened i was freaked out and went to the hospital with my partner, i had a kidney scan and a few other tests that i cannot remember the names of, but all returned clear and i was advised that i may have been passing a kidney stone and that the problem would resolve it self. After having a night of passionate love i felt a pain in the region of my prostate gland, i have worked out that this happens before blood appears. I am guessing this is because i have burst blood vessel or something has ruptured. I woke up this morning and could not urinate, only a few little blood clots with diluted blood came out. I was busting to pee, but none would come out. About 15 minutes later i jumped into the shower, hoping that the warm water would help, within a minute or two, i started urinating a thick stream of dark blood and then came three clots of congealed blood that were about the size and shape of a leech (well described by guest408). It seems as though the clots were blocking the urine, after the clots came out the stream turned from blood to urine. I haven't needed to go to urinate since, but i am curious to see if any more blood will come out. I am not a doctor, but i think after a blood vessel has burst, it becomes weakened and prone to bursting again. Not that you can be certain without all the proper testing, and everybody's situation is different but it is good to read that other people who have had or are having this problem all report that there is no major underlying issue.

I am only 19 and i just started having this problem it dose help alot though knowing that i am "normal" i guess that would be a bad way to catogorize it but i guess it is re assuring knowing that i am not the only one with this problem and that i am not going to die from it in a year. I have been to the doctors several times and they still cannot tell me anything as to what is going on they even had me go as far as to keep a pee cup in my bathroom for when it happend again and i can pretty much manipulate it now rough sex = bloody pee so i try to stay away from sex in general but the clots sometimes are so large i find myself sitting on the toilet crying just trying to pee I have no insurance so the test for this type of thing can be pretty pricey if anyone gets any other information about this i would gratly apreciate if u could post it here it helps alot.

Hi all
I suffer with the same issue, for me it happened about 6 years ago after a bout of heavy fun in a car. Back then each time i had sex it got less and less and took a few months to go away. Recently it has done it again and now doesnt seem to be getting better the clots are fairly big also. I went to the clinic and got tested for all the sexually transmitted infections but they were negative and the doctor has suggested a camera be sent up my penis to see where the weakness is she also said they could then quarterise it once it was found.
Just waiting for the appointment to come through.

ill let you know how it goes.

Hi there, when is your appointment with the specialist? I'm really curious to hear how it turns out. Keep us posted on it okay? I'd like to learn from it.

At first I thought I was passing a kidney stone. And after passing a lot of blood and huge leech like blood clots for two days, I felt better. The blood was bright red in color and always came out at the very begining of the urine stream (this almost suggests the problem is in urethra). Still I went to see a urologist, after a cat scan Dr. said there is no stone and your kidneys and bladder look good. I was happy. I thought the episode is over. It came back after a week (no sex involved). I went to the doctor again, this time I was prescribed with antibiotic (cipro) for 15 days, to treat any urinary tract infection. After that a cystoscope is scheduled. For last 3 days, every morning there is a little blood and a blood clot when I pee. The rest of the day I am fine. It could be benign bladder tumor, just waiting for the cystoscope.

Now, this same episode happened to me in 2005, the doctors said I was passing a kidney stone. But this time I am going to the end of it and figure it out for once and all, what the hell is wrong. Physically it is not as bad, it is the mental part of it.

I am 33 years old male, a scientist by profession at M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX. Been a smoker for 14 years. Smoking increases bladder cancer chances two to three times. Other than that, I live a healthy lifestyle. I do not have any family history of bladder cancer.

Well, that is it for now, I will let you know after the cystoscope.

I have also been having the same/similar problem as mentioned by many others. Dec of 08 i went to the bathroom and there was blood present in the urine as well as a couple small "clots". went to dr, everything checked out fine, and I was sent home. fast forward to sept of 2009. blood in urine, go to urologist and the test comes back no blood and everything was fine. about 2 weeks after that appt it happened again. i went to the bathroom 3 times and there was blood in my urine as well as small blood clot/tissue/skin looking pieces that came out as well. went to urgent care, did urine test, showed small amount of blood but everything else checked out fine. 2 weeks go by, everything is fine and then starting today 10-27-09 for the last 15 hours, everytime i urinate there is some blood and anywhere from 1-4 blood clot/tissue/skin looking pieces that come out as well. some pieces are decent size others are very small. seems to be when i start urinating that the pieces come out as opposed to mid way or at the end. sometimes the blood in the urine is darker red in color sometimes its lighter/brighter. I have been watching what it is im doing or have done during the day when it starts. I admit, i pleasure myself often and frequently. some days many many times....and i have noticed that is starts not long after doing that. is there a connection? weak blood vessel(s) or bursting blood vessels? maybe this time is alittle more severe or because i do it so often and so much its taking a toll now? it doesnt happen after sex, seems to be only when i masterbate. anyone else have it similar? i do have another dr apt in less then a week to get it checked out again and see if anything is going on....thanks!

I too, have started having this exact problem.

It started a month ago after having sex - I went to urinate and there was pure dark red blood.

Ever since, I've been experimenting. It seems that there is a lot of blood when I have sex, and there are clots and discoloration in the urine when I masturbate. I've also noticed mini clots that follow if I even get an erection. I'm 20.

Hello everybody,
I'm curious to know what the results or doctors said when you guys went to your appointments, because I just happened to experience the same symptoms in the last two days. It happened yesterday and again this early morning when I went to the bathroom and yes after having sex with my gf. No pain no nothing, just urine discoloration and a little blood clot. Didnt happen all day after that, i drank alot of water and went to pee alot during the day, and it was completely clear, all of a suddent this morning happened again, without even having sex...I'm trying to figure out if it is a serious problem to go ER of just set a regular appointment which will take days. Somebody plese HELP!!

Blood Clots after sex

I had green light laser surgery for an enlarge porostate about 6 months ago. A few months after the surgery I started noticing some blood and blood clots after sex. At first I just thought it was the healing process, but about a month ago I had the problem again, and the next morning I was peeing pure bright red blood for several seconds. I freaked out and called the doctor. I was scheduled for a cystocope to look into my bladder two laters as I had bladder cancer twice and this was just regular check up. He said he would take a look then at the prostate. when he did the test he said he couldn't see anything wrong with the prostate or where the blood could be coming out of it. He then scared the hell out of me with ordering test to eliminate the possibility of kindney cancer, or cancer in the kindey tubes. They shot dye up into my kindey tubes, and also did an ultra sound of the kidneys. I can't take dye directly into the blood to get constrate for a cat scan as I also have a kidney problem and they are afraid of shuting down my kidneys so that is why they just did the ultra sound.

The test for kidney cancer came out negative. He said he figures the blood must have come from the prostate, but that there isn't anything he could do about it anyway. To call him if it happens again.

I am afraid to have sex with my wifte these days, but I did two weeks ago, and I had blood again, but not nearly as much. I had sex last night and it hurt at climax, pure pleasure mixed with pure pain, and when I urinated afterwards, blood came out with a large blood clot. Apparently, something is not right in there. I figure that after sex there is bleeding, and then it heals and clots, but perhaps I need to give it more time. However, the last clot was rather large. I was surprised it even came out. I have been reading the post here on this site about this, but no one is saying what their doctors have to say about this conidtion, or what can be done about it. I wonder if I should totally refrain from sex to give this plenty of time to heal. If so, how long? On the other had, I am afraid to wait for fear that the blood clot will harden to the point that it won't come out.

One other thing to point out is that after the green light laser to open up my prostate, I had sex with my wife after only about a week. I know that was a little early. My wife was looking good and I wanted to try out the plumbing. I hope that didn't cause any problem. I told my doctor about it and he said that it shouldn't have caused any problems.

Another thing to point out is that my testicles are always bothering me. They have gotten larger than normal. This had been going on for years. My doctor now tells me this is a minor case of hydrocele, which is fluid rentention in the sack. I guess there is surgery for this too, but he doesn't seem to want to do it as he said there is a long recovery period, and that my case isn't that bad. However, it is driving me crazy. It causes my penis to constantly want to pull back into the testicles so I am constantly uncomfortable. They are about the size of two medium peaches. I don't know if any of this is related or not, but I am thinking about pushing for the surgery to relieve this problem too.

Any sugestions on any of this is much appreciated.

Thanks