I'm a 32 year old male. My ex-girlfriend was diagnosed with cervical cancer about 6 months after we broke up. While with her, I've had unprotected sex with her for a few times (mistake number 1). My questions are the following:

1. What are the chances of me being infected during the time I was with my ex, even though it was 6 months after we broke up that she was diagnosed with cervical cancer.

2. If I'm infected, what are the symptoms for males with HPV.

3. If I'm infected, I'm assuming there is a great possibility that I have already infected my wife. What are the chances of her having cervical cancer.

4. How soon will my wife show signs of infection as it has already been almost a year since we've been married.

My wife sometimes bleeds very lightly after or during sex but her doctor said that it is due to the type of birth control that she's using. I'm not sure what it is called but they have inserted something inside her vagina and that makes her bleed sometimes. I haven't had a good night's sleep ever since I found out about my ex and it's starting to hurt my relationship with my wife. I haven't told her yet and I wanted to get more information about this before I tell her how her husband will probably be the cause for her future suffering with this terrible virus.

All input will be appreciated. Thanks.

As far as I know, the strains that cause cancer usually don't have symptoms. There are strains that cause those big ugly warts but the strains that cause cancer only affect the cervix and the inner vaginal walls. The strains that cause malignant changes in the cervix are 16, 18, 31, 39, 45, 51 but you can't tell which strain you have without performing a special test that costs a lot.

You should talk to your wife and tell her to get a pap smear test.

Other strains cause those big ugly looking warts while there are strains that cause no symptoms and go away on their own.

There are no tests for men to detect HPV, so your wife would have to have a pap smear.