I recently just had a bunion removal. My doctor told me I didn't need to take the screws out. Why do some people get them out? I haven't had a problem. Would your foot go off in a metal detector? I'm just wonder if there are any problems with keeping the screws in.

The screws should not go off in a metel detector. It was funny because I asked my doctor the same thing before I had the surgery. He said no because it is made out of titanium and somehow that doesn't go off in the metal detector maybe because it is inserted in your bone. Umms, but some people get their screws taken out because it can become bothersome, feel irritating, otherwise the doc would just leave them in.

I had bunion surgery on my right foot 10 days ago and have 2 screws in my foot. I wasn't told until after my operation, that the 2 screws will need to come out in a year to a year and a half! This will be another surgery with all the pre-surgery tests, bloodwork, etc.! I wish I could just leave mine in there.

I had bunion surgery on both feet paid extra for better smaller screws .The doctor left them in but I had a reaction to the metal ,they were in for 1 1/2 yrs my feet swelled ,pained thought this was normal went back to the doctor I was allergic to the metal I was in adrenal stress .I burned my adrenals out . Had the screws out it took 2 yrs to heal my adrenals. .