On about my 25th day without a cigarette, I developed a lump in my throat making it a little difficult to swallow. Naturally, I assumed the worst - cancer. However, upon discussing this with a friend, she told me that her husband and father both had the same thing happen to them when they quit smoking. I have found some information about the cilia (little hairs that line the lungs) starting to sweep out dirt again, thus causing problems. I have already been treated for an ear infection since I quit smoking - the 1st one I've ever had in my life. Someone needs to wriite more information on this. We "quitters" need to know just what we're up against here. HELP!

Dottie
:'(

I have had two canker sores on my tounge and one on the roof of my mouth in the far back and now I have a canker sore that has gone from a small white circle (like the usually look) to something covering the back right side of my throat and it hurts so bad! I am glad you posted this since I have quit smoking for 3 weeks today and was worried it might be cancer too! I guess the body is definately going through some tough changes but I can deal! I'm strong! ;-)

I have what looks like a severe case of strep throat. I quit smoking 5 days ago. I couldn't swallow for 2 days. Now I can swallow but the back of my throat is scary looking. I hope that this is just my body getting rid of the toxins and maybe cilia doing it's job on cleaning my lungs out.

I agree that there should be something for us quitters, I never realized that all these things would occur.

Oh well...I will never smoke again!!!

I agree there should be more information about the immune deficiency problems of quitting smoking. I have been trying to quit off and on for the last year, but each time I quit I get sick. My throat swells up, my salivary glands are over active, and I have trouble swallowing. I have noticed every time I start up again the symptoms go away. It is good to know others are having the same problems I am.

Yes i have quit now for a month and i still have what feels like a sore throat. I have no lumps or anything, but heavy thick mucous and throat discomfort are still here after a month. How long will this go on??

I have also developed grave healthproblems after quitting smoking. I have developed intolerance for ink (so goodbye reading) and exhaustfumes. Medication for asthma (Seretide) helps me not to suffocate but I develop symptoms of intoxication anyway.

Doctors always assume it is a psychic thing, but I would be really surprised as I quit seven months ago; am really happy to be a non-smoker. I also feel great benefits for my heart and have made huge advances in training, and I am not at all stressed. I am not planning to resume smoking, but am currently looking for protection masks to be able to go to polluted highways and cities.

I suppose the lungs are springcleaning and refuse anything remotely irritating now, but as Dottie said, it would be nice if we were prepared for all the problems that can occur if you quit smoking and if the medical profession would not adhere to the axiom that quitting smoking is all good and cannot have unpleasant sideeffects. :-S

i quit smoking 5 days ago, and now I'm having problems swallowing even my own spit, the inflammation in my throat is that bad, and the fact that my salivary glands are overactive is not helping in the least bit.

I have just quit yesterday and I feel like I have strep throught. This is awful.

yeah i guit two weeks ago and about a few days ago i developed this lump in my thraot. i heard supplementing with vitamin c is very important.
lots of it, healthy eating and mild exercise. im sure it will go away.

I quit almost two months ago and ever sense I quit my asthma has been totally out of control (I go through one inhaler a week) and no medication seems to work and god the cough is insane... I told my doctor I just quit but he is not making any connection but has no idea what is going on. He sticks to the old adage that quitting is great and has only good side effects, no bad. I wish I knew when I would start to feel better because I can’t take much more of this :-(

I am having the same problems. Quit smoking 6 months ago after 30 years. Would like to know how long this goes on for. Throat was insane for about 2 months . Lungs still feel tight but are improving.

I'm glad I found this website. I am now on my 22nd day after quitting smoking, and feel like there is a lump in my throat. Upto this point, I had a great amount of drainage coming down my throat so that led to it being sore. However, now I also have the feeling like there is a lump. It doesn't feel like swollen glands and I don't know how to describe it.

It's been hell so far. I hope it gets better from now on....

I quit smoking a little over a month ago, and I feel great about it! I had bad side effects though the first three weeks including nasty mood swings. My throat also clogged up was sore and I've been getting ulcers on my tonsils. The good thing is I can already feel my breathing getting a bit easier. You know what, regardless of all the struggles...it is so worth it in the end. Just for the fact of being healthy again.

I stopped smoking Sept. 5th, 2006. I have always bragged about never being sick. Since I quit smoking I have had several colds and this is not normal for me. I have also had a problem clearing my throat, especially at night. I also seem to have aches and pains I never had before. I have talked with several reformed smokers and they have experienced similar problems. Please share any information regarding related health issues after a person stops smoking.

I have read all of the entries here and sympathise with everyone. I quit smoking six weeks ago and have had a couple of throat/chest conditions in that time. I know a little about health and I know that this is a natural process. What's gone in must come out. And so yes, as said the body is trying to clean itself and we will go through a period of finding things more difficult but it is very good work we're doing here for ourselves, so don't give up! All kinds of upper respiratory complaints are common after giving up so don't feel too bad about it, just try to go through this period as best you can. Eat well, plenty of raw veg and fruit and water and do some excercise. And get some GRAPEFRUIT SEED EXTRACT (Citricidal) and gargle with that (diluted) to kill strep throat and any bacterial infection, it is even very good with sinusitus (you have to put your head back, squirt it up your nostrils! and then throw your head forward till it's upside down and leave it there for a minute or two, several times a day for a few days!). Good luck everyone. We will come through this, to a stronger us :-)