I'm a 39, I have an IUD that I have had for almost 10 years. When the IUD was inserted (at my 6 wk appt after having my youngest son who will be 10 in Aug), I was told that the IUD would be good for 7 years. I have gone to the doctor to have it checked (the last time being approx 1 year ago) and was told that it was still intact and that removal was unnecessary.

As of late, I have been bleeding during sex. The blood is very dark, much darker than normal brown period spotting and it smells horrible. The bleeding is only during sex, initially I wasn't concerned as it was just prior to my period but it has happened everytime I have had sex (same partner) since then.

I went to the doctor thinking this may be related to having the IUD for so long, but I was bleeding too much at the time for the doctor to make a determination. I have an appointment coming up, but I can't sleep thinking about this. I haven't had sex in the past week, as of today I am having a discharge that is clear/yellowish (similar to urine) and smells the same as the blood. I am not experiencing any pain that I find unusual. I have always experienced some pain periodically since the insertion of the IUD.

I believe the smell is rancid blood based on the following,

one of my ex's had 6 teeth pulled at one time, the dentist did not stitch up any of the holes and blood would pool up in them and start to smell really bad, to the point you could smell it the moment you walked in the house. The clear discharge and the brown spotting during sex both smell the same as that did.

I'm worried about this being cancer or a tumor or something of that nature. While looking on the internet I found something that said that women should never douche unless medically prescribed. That's new to me, I've never heard that before and had always been taught that regular douching was part of good feminine hygiene. Can my issue be an infection caused by douching? Is it more likely to be an STD? Could this be related to the IUD?

I am a 20 yr old female. I started my period when i was 16. I have never in my life had a 1 or 2 week period. Every since i started i had month long periods. After going through that for about three months I was put on birth control, but I still kept bleeding for a month. Shortly after I was put on the depo shot until recently I stopped taking it. The whole time i have been on my period I have always had the brown blood which my doctor says in normal just like she says my period is normal. SHes crazy. I am now going to seek another proffessional opioion because it is affectig me emotional and socially. I have heavy cramping with clotting that sends pain through my body. My blood use to just flow. Now i have to use the bathroom and then it clots up and comes out its a horrible feeling. i have never been pregnant and each time i went to the doctor it was negetive i will be going to the doctor this week.

Brown discharge after period is a normal thing. But, yes. I agree with that one. You need to ask for a professional opinion. Sometimes, brown discharge is nothing to be worried about. But it can also tell you that your body is going through some unknown issue. I had this problem and since I am a big hypochondriac, I went to see my doctor immediately. We did some tests and after three days ago he told me that pelvic inflammatory disease, which is a disease of reproductive organs. It also started with brown discharge, but it continues with pain and very uncomfortable pain during intercourse. 

Your situation sounds very wrong to me. I am at the other end of the age spectrum, where periods have been very heavy, and learned that I was drastically short of the hormone progesterone, which caused fibroids that caused bleeding. Too much blood loss then made lots of my hair fall out! It turns out that bleeding this much I was losing magnesium, iron, and other minerals, so the body started dumping hair in order to keep vital organs going. BUT I am now taking a prescribed skin cream of progesterone from day 10 to 26 of my cycle. This has shortened my bleeding to normal. I am also taking Ferrofood (a food version of iron supplements) and magnesium every day. What a difference! Right away my hair stopped falling out and now it's growing back. You need to see a naturopathic nurse practitioner, someone who will listen to you who actually understands this stuff. I recommend www.standardprocess.com which sells the supplements I take. Very important to read this book: What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause: Balance Your Hormones and Your Life from Thirty to Fifty by John R. Lee, M.D., Jesse Hanley and Virginia Hopkins. You may be much younger than that, but this book explains everything about women's hormones so that you can give your health professionals informed information when they're treating you. Read this book right away: don't be scared off by the title. It's saved my health, my hair, and my sanity. You might just need a little information to get yourself back together. Be sure to get tested for iron deficiency, because a shortage of that will make you bleed even more.

wow. im having the exacct same problem as you except i have a sharp pain in my left ovary and the discharge was like on my cycle, i have never had the brown weird blood and its (like you) a foul smell. i have sharp pains durring sex and the discharge has been going on for over a week. ive never had this before and i too have a IDU. only put in about 1 or 2 years ago but still. what did the doctor say? where as im having sharp pains in only one of my ovarys (approx where it is) when sex cancer is in my immediate family so you could reply or email me what he said it would be more than greatly appreciated

thanks

my name is cazandra and im 18 years old.
I had my first period when i was 13 years old.
my period was normal all the time.
now, i have my period for 20 days but its really light and sometimes it stops. but theres a lot of discharge and it looks pink and it got a real bad smell. i feel horrible cause im so clean, i take good care of my self. and yes sometimes i douche too much. is that the reason why it got like this? and whenever i have sex it hurts when he goes all the way inside me.

I feel for you. I am 42 and I have been spotting for over 3 years about 7 days before my 2 day period. I too have an odor. The doctor has not been able to figure it out. I was on the pill prior to the spotting. I feel like being on the pill for many years changed my cycle greatly. Not sure if my age is a factor. The smell bothers me. My immediate family has smelled it. I am very selfconscience about it. There is an odor only during the spotting and not the rest of the month. It makes no sence to me. I just asked to go back on the pill because I am so tired of this problem. Started it 2 weeks ago, had a long crampy period and now I am spotting and smelling again.