Hey, This is embarrassing but I have developed an unpleasant smell and the only reason I can think of could be because of Mirinia IUD. I had it placed 7 months ago. The problem has been going on for two month so far. Anyone else experianced this with the IUD.

You could have bacterial vaginosis, which happens to all women at least once.. Our vaginas are sensitive, and sex, scented soaps, and the fact that the vagina is loaded with natural bacteria, places you at risk for BV.

You should see your doc =)

I too have the mirena I.U.D and have only had it for 3 weeks, my doctor said this is normal, and infact she had it too... hers got so bad that after 4 months she had it taken out. I was told that it takes about 6 months for your body to adjust to the device and the hormones, and the smell is simply your bodies chemistry adjusting to it- IF YOU DON'T HAVE INFECTION SYMPTOMS such as- itching burning thick discolored discharge (which I don't- it's just so embarrassing that I'm pushing my husband as far away from me as possible) She said I can douche but after about a week it most likely will come back- and it washes away "natural" bacteria needed "in there". She also suggested using a feminine spray or feminine powder to keep moisture from building up around "the area" this way you can differentiate a "problem smell" with normal daily activity and smells.

Yes, it just occured to me, too, after 2.5 years of having this plastic, hormonal IUD, that it's what it causing the smell. Last time I was checked I didnt have any infection at all. It's only the smell. I never had this issue before the IUD. I took the advice of the nurse practioner and quit using body wash--Ivory soap down there only. I don't wear thong underwear as much, but it doesn't matter--I still have the smell. I think I'm going to remove the IUD. I'm not active right now, but how could I be smelling this way? I can't believe doctors don't realize this...

Me too!! I have had the IUD for 6 months now and I was told that i might notice signs of an infection due to the fact that my body is trying to fight off the object. DOUCHING is very bad for you, don't do it unless told to by a doctor. I now notice a fishy rotten smelling odor coming from there plus thick white discharge which i believe is BV because i have had it before. I take good care of my body but for some reason I have been more prone to infections since the IUD. I have already had 2 YI in the six months and if the doc tells me i have BV that's something else to add to it. I love the mirena it works great, i just can't live with the smell.

It is so bad that I dont even want to go to work becasue I think that people notice. I have tried everything and cant even bring to take myself to the Dr. I clean myself 6 times a day and it never gets better. I have had Mirena now for about 7 months and it has gotten really bad just over the last couple months. Its not fishy either its a rotten smell. i wont even let my husband get near me in te bedroom anymore. I love my Mirena but I cant take this anymore. Do I have it taken out? What other options are there. It just so easy! I hate the pill. I have had two kids on the pill! Options please!

Hello ladies,
I'm glad I visited this page, because I've been having the same symptoms. Mine doesn't smell that bad, but it's a "funny/foul odor" with like an "ammonia base" when it happens. No burning, itching, etc. and it's not daily, but at least a few times during the month. It will be 6 months next week that I've had the IUD. I also have noticed sporadic cramping, which made me even more nervous. I never really had cramps, but I've read that you can have some with the IUD. I had a PAP 5mths before I got it, then they checked me again I suppose to be safe. I was active with my partner (once) before I got it, I think about 2mths before. However, I've been concerned that it may be an STD (because of the smell) that I just never got checked back out after the insertion of the IUD. Haven't been active since... (personal choice)....
The discharge color goes from light tan to dark tan...
I really need to know!

I'm glad I found this forum. I have been getting worried about the smell that I have noticed the past couple of months. I had the IUD put in a year ago, but have just developed the smell over the last 3 months. I had NEVER had any type of vaginal infection; however within the last year I have had one yeast infection and two cases of Bacterial infections. (BV). Does the IUD make you more prone to infections, or is it just me? Some days it is nearly nonexistent, other days I feel as though it is so strong that I worry people standing next to me can smell. I LOVE the convenience of an IUD! Have not had my period the entire year.. but the smell is so irritating. It has got to the point of setting up an appt of removal.. I have NEVER douched.. should I try it? Does it help?

I have the Copper IUD and I have the same ammonia smell. It only occurs every once in a while, but I never had it before I got the IUD.

Try the Copper IUD. There are no hormones involved. I've had it for 2 years now and had no problems. I have recently noticed an odor, but I don't believe it to be from the IUD. I am in the process of figuring it out. Another thing I have come across to try is herbal remedies. The information and reviews I have read on FEMANOL have been great. I orderd my bottle and am anxiously awaiting it. I am a nursing student and the information I have learned regaurding antibiotics leads me to try other options before I run to get them. Even my doctor recomends trying herbal remedies before antibiotics. I feel for every woman dealing with this. It's so unfair, isn't it?

Dear All,
I have the copper IUD.
While it is not a pleasant experience for us all, I am glad to hear I am not alone and can now confirm that what is causing the smell is the IUD. I never have this smell before. I had mine put in four months ago. The first 3 months I bled. Sometimes it was so heavy I was very concerened but as the doc and the leaflet had explained it, I accepted it was just normal because my body was adjusting to having the foreign object. The bleeding had stop almost four weeks ago, but there's still a slight yellowy/browny liquid. It smells like rusty metal/copper. Sometimes it is so bad, I am worried my work colleauge would smell it. It puts me off from having sex with my partner too. I am seriously considering of getting it removed, but I will wait another month. Thanks for all your feedback....

i've had the copper iud for a year now. i've had constant bv pretty much since day one. my discharge is so thick and the smell can get so bad that i kept thinking i had an std, i was in the doctor every month for the first 6 that i had it. :$ i've taken so many medications, monistat, metroconizole (sp?), candida pils... everything to no avil. i am so ready to take this thing out but i don't want to be on the pill as i am bad about taking it everyday.

so much for trying to be hormone free.

Hey ladies, have you ever tried the new applicator? You can get it to tame the foul odors which come from the iud, your bacteria and hormones. Its created by the same people who make Replens in the feminine area of most stores. You can get it like at wal-mart (cheapest!), walgreens or cvs, etc...1 box comes with 4 applicators that you use whenever you begin to smell. I was prone to getting BVs because i am very sensitive and i absolutely hated taking the Flagyl the doctors would prescribe. The thought alone would make me gag because its sooooo gross and chalky. But when i realized that semen has a PH of 7 and our vagina a PH 4, it all made sense! So applicator is created to balance your PH back to normal, its stays in for 3 days and safe before/after sex and for long term use. It is available in stores everywhere and I think you should try it to see if it helps with your odor. If this doesnt work, then you definitely should have the obgyn run some tests on the discharge to see what it is. Good Luck!

I have the same issue. I notice a foul/fishy smell, usually the week after my period. I have had the IUD for a year and am only recently putting the IUD and smell connection together. I am always self conscious of it. I am also considering taking the IUD out. Other than this issue though I really have liked the IUD.

Thank God I found this website because I was about to go home and give my husband holy hell. I got mirena about two months ago and just last week started noticing a smell. The only time in my life that I ever had an odor like this one was when I was with my very first boyfriend and I contracted an STD (which is how I found out he was cheating on me, the bastard).