I have son that is 13 years old. Few days ago I have noticed a little bump on side of his neck. I have never seen that before so I am confused. I guess he is too young to have some serious problem, so I wonder what that bump could be. Should I take him to the doctor or wait to see if that will disappear with time?

Any bump that is found on the neck, like a lump or swelling is called neck lump. There are many causes that can provoke existing of that bump. The most common seen bumps on neck are enlarged lymph nodes. They could be caused by bacterial or viral infections. Then different types of malignancy is also sometimes reason for occur of neck bumps, together with some rare causes. Submandibular salivary glands may result from infection or malignancy and became enlarged. Muscles of the neck, the most common in the front of the neck and involving the sternocleidomastoid muscle, also could be with bumps. That is result of the injury or torticollis. Cysts and sebaceous cysts are reason for some bumps in the skin or just below the skin of neck. Thyroid gland is next part that can be producer of neck bump. If you have noticed prolonged and abnormal neck swelling or any lump you should visit the doctor.

Yes im going tomorrow