Hi - I recently had a bunion surgery consultation and have decided to get the procedure done in 5-6 weeks. The doctor mentioned that he would be using permanent screws. Most people that I know who got the procedure done had removable screws inplanted. Does anyone have any insight about permanent screws? I read online that procedures vary between doctor performing the procedures, but for some reason do not feel 100% confortable about permanent screws. Thanks

I have read a few articles where they say the permanent screw offers better stability, quicker healing and would be good for active people on their feet alot. I had my left foot done July 25th and am very happy with my results. :-D I am healing very well and can almost put my foot flat on the floor with some weight bearing. Some sites I looked at ,and this chat room, mention people wearing shoes in two weeks and/or walking and doing regular activities. I might be able to wear slightly larger shoes but right now I am just happy to limp slightly. My swelling is still there but looks much better then some of the pictures I see on the internet of people who are still swollen weeks after surgery!!!! I would highly recommend it over pins.

I had permanent screws inserted during the course of my bunion surgery (scarf akin procedure). So far this seems to have healed up very well - am on the brink of ditching the crutches after only 3 weeks (although am still limping a bit and need to put my foot up from time to time), and although I am still wearing the special 'shoe' for comfort and protection, I think the swelling has almost reduced sufficiently to get into normal shoes. The pain is nothing like the scaremongers say - and in any case the painkillers you are given do the trick. It is definitely uncomfortable and almost impossible to get around at all for a couple of weeks, so my advice is sit back, put your feet up (right up!) and give it all a chance to settle down. Its early days for me, but with these modern bunion procedures I cant see what all the scaremongering is about. Tips: invest in some laxatives - the painkillers are terrible for causing problems in that area! Also, getting hold of a bath seat makes showering 100 times more painless.

I had a bunion surgery and hammer toe correction 7 weeks ago. I really think I should have had more dialog with the doctor before hand, but since I did not have anything to compare it with, I really didn't know the correct questions to ask. I know now ,recovery time is 6 months., because it is a weight bearing limb. ( I had the bunion removed and three non removable pins and screws inserted.) I had my surgery 7 weeks ago, and my foot still aches and turns red when I stand up. I actually could get around pretty good after the second week because I was fortunate to have a really good pair of wide shoes to wear. I was never able to wear the boot because I am 58 years old and the boot was so heavy, It made my hip hurt. The last thing I need now is hip surgery. I was having problems recently because two of the toes stuck straight out and did not touch the floor, but the doctor explained that the pins were inserted to keep the toes off the floor and out of harms way until they heal, but now it was time to do some self physical therapy and move the toes around and pull those tendons back toward the floor several times a day. Thats pretty painful. So although the pain was almost gone I am now enduring more pain to make it look and feel more normal. If I had it to do over again, I would still do it, but I have to admit I would have taken it much more seriously, and had it done after the holidays instead of before. Remember when they stick those pins in your toes,whether they take them out or not, they still have to break your toes to put the pin through the joint. So take it serious! It is wonderful though to have feet that look normal. Good luck to all.