Hi, I had my bunion surgery on 5 March 13 on my right foot. I am recovering very slowly. It has been now 7 weeks I am still struggling to walk normal. Quite painful around the big toe and also my ankle. Saw the x-ray in 6 weeks post operation doctor told me the bone is healing ok but still I have pain and swollen foot not so much in the morning by evening it is quite painful and swollen. Is this normal ?  The doctor has used two pin which will be staying with me forever in the big toe. I love walking and today did 2km came home with tears so much pain. I think I did it wrong by walking 2 hrs!!! :-(

Hi, I am also recovering from bunion surgery - lapidus procedure.  Major surgery for me, I'm also 7 weeks in tomorrow and JUST started to partial weightbear on Monday.

To me it sounds like you are doing too much walking and just expecting to much from it.  Think about it.  Your feet support your total body and you had major surgery on small bones in your feet and had hardware put in them (me too).  Anytime the weather changes I get major pain as the metal constricts and contracts - it is painful.

It is normal to get the swelling in the evening and a 2K walk is far too long at this point in your recovery.  I know from my surgery that it is normal to expect swelling for the next year.

Hope this helps and good luck for healing

Hi Lizardqueen, Thank you for your reply. I guess I did it too much at once yesterday, still suffering today with pain around the big toe and still swollen. My surgery on the foot is Hallux valgus (acquired) which I had to wear orthopaedic shoe for six weeks which actually help me a lot by putting weight only on the heel. Do you have pins / screws insert ? Mine have to stay in forever what about yours ? Do everything slowly and carefully don't rush like I did walking 2km thinking 7 weeks I can do. Its not true. Painful. I am seeing my physio on Monday for toe mobilisation and seeing my surgeon on Tuesday. Hope all goes well. Hope you have a good and well recovery.

Yikes, talking about doing too much and then I go and do the same thing. I was in so much pain yesterday night from the swelling it was absolutely ridiculous. I took 1.5 diluadids that are 4mg and a percocet - I slept and my foot feels better today but when I go to the washroom now and the minute I hang my foot down it feels like the first couple of days after surgery with the swelling and throbbing and turns red. I know I did too much but I am now worried about infection and I don't know how to check if there is one. Even if there is one my surgical doctor isn't around until Monday now and my own family doctor is on holidays until May 8 is my appointment, this sucks, I have no where else to go but to the ER and this is the last place I want to go! Do you have any ideas? Please help!

I am sorry to hear about your pain but don't worry it's normal to have pain and swelling after bunion surgery. I also had a bunion surgery about a year ago. By applying ice pack to the affected area several times a day can relieve pain and swelling but never apply ice directly to the skin, wrap it in a cloth or tea towel first. Also, make sure to wear sensible, comfortable, wide fitting and low-heeled shoes at least for six months because wearing tight, ill-fitting or improper shoes may cause foot discomfort and increase the risk of getting a bunion again in the future I wish you get well soon!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use