I am uncertain about this new carb counting and how do you treat a hypo while carb counting?  It is all confusing to me.  It seems that you want to treat a hypo by eating a carb but then won't that put you over your carb count for the day?

Carb counting is not that hard once you learn how to associate carbohydrate grams to carb units.  One carb unit is equal to 15 grams of carbohydrates.   You just need to check your labels for the carb grams and divide by 15 to get the number of carb units it's worth.  You will be getting used to doing this after a while.  You may want to invest in a book that covers foods and their carb content.  If you think you are having hypoglycemia, you will consume an extra carb at that time.  Don't worry about if you are going over your carbs for the day.  You shouldn't be having hypos unless you are on certain diabetic medications or insulin, so you needn't worry about it. 

Your dietician will tell you everything you need to know and give you brochures and other materials to help you out. I was overwhelmed at first and I really was a little taken aback thinking how do I deal with all of this. We had a group of about 5 sessions that detailed the foods, labels and how to read them, everything about hyper and hypoglycemia signs, and we learned each week how to journal so that we knew how to count the carbs and calculate our average blood glucose. It was very helpful because if you got stuck on something, they could help you with it. The nurse and the dietician who ran the class were so nice. I bought a book on all the foods and their carb count so that if I had any question, it would have it. Now I also have an app on my Ipad that I can type in the food, even restaurant food, to get the carb count for it. I recommend buying the book or the app!