Hi, I'm a 31 years old male and suffer from frequent urination. I always had somewhat of a 'weak bladder'. Now, I feel a need to go to the bathroom too often, if I get upeset I feel urgent need to pie. Can anxiety cause frequent urination?

Hi, I had problems with urinary function in stress situations. Still as a boy I used to pie when I felt fear or insecurity, if somebody was shouting at me or beating me. My urinary system is susceptible to infections and I have prostate enlargement too. If I get a urinary inflammation it’s always painful to pie and frequent urination becomes an extreme bother. You should take into account also metabolic diseases like diabetes or thyroid disease, what you can check by a blood test. There are many OTC preparations for treatment of urinary infections like cranberry and bearberry. Pumpkin seed extract, zinc supplements and Saw Palmeto are beneficial in treating of enlarged prostate.

I am a girl and I have a similar issue, when I went to high school on campus, and had to do presentations or a scene in drama, or go talk to someone I really liked...I had to run to the restroom to urinate right before or right after...Horses do the same thing, when they're scared/nervous/spooky, they drop a load of c**p, literally...it's a way of 'lightening the load' in case they have to make a quick escape...I bet with humans it is a similar thing...they lighten the load by urinating instead of shi!!ing....

I've been going through this. I'd always suffered from panic attacks (and i now find them fairly easy to deal with), but any situation in which I feel trapped (the city bus, a long car drive, sitting in a class I don't enjoy) it would be the epitome of aweful. I HAD to get out of their, which would bring on a panic attack. I'd urinate sometime 20-30 times a day.

As much as try to stay positive, it has destroyed me as a person. My friendships have disintegrated, I dropped out of college, I lost my apartment, I essentially lost my job, and I've done nothing but wait for the medication to take effect at my parents house - even then it has been a hellish roller coaster of constant (as in 8 hours straight) panic attacks, desperately needing to urinate.

The medication I am on now has helped ALOT, but it makes me feel like my IQ has gone down from 141 to 80, and impaired my memory.

sorry for my negativity XD

Sounds like what I've went through last year about the same time. I lost my Apt in Nov 2008 and had to move to Chicago Area to be with family so I wouldn't be homeless. Now, I'm still suffering from panic attacks and anxiety and haven't been treated like I should have been.

I lost my car also before moving out of my apt. My urination frequency comes from my bladder disorder called Interstitial cystitis I.C. for short. You should look into it. Perhaps, you might have symptoms of IC. I already urinate often but when I'm having a panic attack/higher anxiety I tend to start urinating much more. It sucks. I hate panic attacks!

Please stay positive and focused! Peace be to you. I wish everyone well. Please reply if you want me to continue to communicate.

Thanks.

sure can. i suffer from anxiety and when i get more nervous than usual the first thing to go is me to the bathroom! ive taken plenty of pregnancy tests thinking it was that, but nope. please get checked out. my anxiety meds changed me conmpletely. i hope you get the same help.

holly cow man... i thought i was alone! i have been getting worse and worse as the past 5 years have been creeping by. at first it started out by me not being able to go places that were too far without having to stop for a potty break, but more recently i have had to tell my work that i flat out can't take customers home cause i have panic attacks. i notice that if i'm by myself in my truck it will get worse if i'm stopped in traffic or boxed in at a light, if i'm with someone else i don't know it's a constant panic attack. i knew it sounded weird but when i had a panic attack in a vehicle it made me feel like i was about to pee my pants. if i knew i had to go somewhere as a passenger or take someone somewhere i would break out in a cold sweat, and start to do the pee-pee dance. this is getting the best of me and i honestly don't know how much more i can take. i would love some sort of feed back if anyone has it. thank you. :$

I also thought that I was alone in this... i rather i didnt know what the problem was.. ive been to urologist, taken overactive bladder medicine.. that didnt help taken urgency bladder medicine that didnt help so i realized that it was only happening when i was uncomfortable.. in a car, in class, on an airplane when it takes off and you cant leave your seat. anything that restrains me.. i recently decided to take a semester off from school because this is unbearable. I couldnt sit through a class without feeling a constant urge to go. and i noticed my hands shaking. I have always been mellow, and very chilled out so i just dont understand how i can be anxious when i dont even have a reason to be. im relieved to know that i am not alone.
I've always been against medication but at this point i will do whatever it takes.

Please tell me some one has a solution to this problem... i have the same problem. i started getting anxiety, and along with anxiety i get this urge to urinate. this happens during exams, when stuck in a car in traffic, basically when i know if i need to go to the bathroom i cant.

if u have any kind a solution to this email me at
thank u in advance

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Hi, I have the same problem. I can hold it in, but I feel the urge is constantly there. Also, I have Insomnia from Anxiety and I also have to go to the bathroom multiple times at night so I don't get good night's rest. It's driving me crazy too, but I am trying to stay positive and get anxiety under control and getting on with my life. I also am taking more of a zen approach. If I have to wear incontinence pad, i'll wear it. so what if it's embarrassing if it will give me a piece of mind. I can't go crazy thinking i'm about to wet myself.

I would be very interested to hear if someone has a proven solution to this problem. I've been suffering with the same thing for the last 15 years or so, and just the same as the posters above my condition gets notably worse when i feel restrained/claustrophobic or when there is a sense of heightened anxiety.

Last night i was at a speed-dating type event, and had to 'go' 6 times in the space of 90 minutes.

Some things that i have noticed if it helps anyone

Things that make it worse

1. Caffiene
2. Sugar
3. Foods containing citric acid
4. Parsley (as its a natural diuretic)
5. Rapeseed Oil (stay well away from this)
6. Going too long without food (say over about 5 hours)

I have recently found a few things that make it a little better, but say only 30 or 40% and the effects last about half a day or so

1. Semolina
2. Carrots
3. In High anxiety situations, eating some warm food (pretty much anything) also seems to calm it down. no idea why.

I have found that both these contain Selenium which is a trace mineral, which in turn aids the hormonal production in the thyroid gland.
As i say, the effects are not permanent and it only helps for a few hours or so, but does help.

Not sure why it works, but i've been trying many things over the years, and been through the whole national health service system with every invasive test you can think of to no avail. This thing really has had a huge effect on my life.

Anyhow, i've ordered some selenium supplements, and im going to see if that makes it any better. I've also found positive visualisation helps, say if you know you are travelling the next day, you can visualise yourself having a journey without any "pit stops". Sounds a bit 'wierd', but it does help. Doesnt help, or rather HASNT helped me in situations of anxiety unfortunately.

My suspicions are its thyroid related, but i dont fancy going back to my GP anywhere, i've lost my faith in the traditional medical system, so if i could find someone who could help me check my thyroid and treat it, i think that might help.

Look forward to hearing any of your thoughts.

i have the same problem. it's affected my life more than it should. i've had to drop out of college, can't get a job because i'm afraid i'm going to piss myself during the interview, which means no car and as an adult that's just not acceptable.. it's doing my head in and i'm afraid i'm going crazy! i don't have insurance because i don't have a job which means i can't get any medicine. :-(( help meee outt.

I have been going through everything that was posted above for about eight years now and well i have no life anymore because of it.
Does anyone know anything that could help medical problems or medication to take. I really am uncomfortable taking medication but i am desperate please help!

Hi

I just want to share my side of story with you guyes. I suffer from the same thing and always thought i was alone in this as not all anxiety sites name frequent urination as a symptom. My problem started when i was pregnant with my son (now aged 5) and its been struggle since then. Avoiding lot of places where i could get stuck or not be able to go to toilet and most of the time i rather stay at home so i don't have to deal with the fear at all. Well anything out of routine really gets me going. I ve done CBT which helped a bit but in the end have been put on Citalopram which helped. Now i started taking it for a third time as it all got worse lately again.
I just feel really depressed about it as i feel like prisoner of my own body and seems like i'll be stuck on medication for rest of my life. I fear there is no light out of this tunnel :-(

Anyone feeling bit more positive than me?

Hi Everyone,

I have had Generalized Anxiety Disorder since I was very young, which turned into Panic Disorder when I was 16. Throughout my life I have gone through periods with virtually no anxiety symptoms (lasting months to years), periods where I had mild anxiety symptoms all the time (lasting months) and periods of being in a constant panic state (which has happened 3 times in my life for a few months each time).

I find that the urgency for the toilet only occurs in periods of anxiety. In the periods in which I have no anxiety I have no problem with this at all. It also tends to occur specifically AFTER repetitive thoughts that I may get stuck needing to go to the toilet and not be able to (like when stuck in a car). Therefore I have found three solutions to this problem.

1. (and the most effective by far) Is to get out of an anxiety period and into a non-anxiety period. For me this has sometimes been as simple as finishing semester and being on holidays. Getting out and doing things with no stress, commitment or obligations for your time or performance in your life (and being able to leave at any time) is the best way to kick anxiety in the butt. Then when the anxiety is gone you can gradually introduce commitments and obligations in again without overdoing it. Sometimes I have needed medication (Zoloft) to break of out the anxiety/period period, and it worked wonders. I was on it for 4 months, then tapered off it, and stayed anxiety free for 2.5 years after. Other things that really help beat the anxiety response is frequent (and I'm talking every day if possible) yoga, meditation and/or exercise (i.e. walking). Sunshine can also help, as can eating a very healthy diet and avoiding caffeine and alcohol.

2. The other method is to STOP the thought processes when you start worrying that you are going to need to go to the toilet but wont be able to. I definitely find that the first time a thought about this pops into my head, I have no sensation of needing to go to the toilet after it. It is only after continually worrying that it happens. Meditation or putting a favorite CD on or chatting to a friend on the phone may stop these thoughts coming in, and stop the problem. As with anything, if you train yourself to stop the thoughts and the process - it will be hard at first, but eventually it will become second nature.

3. If you just can't get the first or second option to work (or work fast enough) the third option is to make sure you always plan ahead to make sure there will always be a toilet that you can get to, without stress, in no more than a few minutes. This might mean finding possible toilet stops, and parking, along certain routes before you take them. It might mean always going to the toilet straight before you leave to an area with no toilets for a few minutes (i.e. walking somewhere). These things will give you peace of mind that you wont get stuck in a situation where you can't easily find a toilet within a few minutes. It may even for some be worth wearing an incontinence pad just to give you peace of mind. The funny thing is that the peace of mind itself will almost definitely prevent you from needing to go.

With a combination of these things my life has been symptom-free at times, but still manageable (able to hold down relationships and university (I study medicine)) when at it's worst.

Right now I've had a flare up of symptoms and am going to the gym, with the goal of exercising every day and seeing how the symptoms go. If they don't improve enough, I will go on Zoloft again to kick it.