I am 14 and quite fat, and I want to lose some weight. That’s why I started weight lifting and walking a lot. My brother says that weight lifting definitely does stunting growth. Also he told me it is not weight training. Now I am afraid because I want to lose weight and not stay short and fat. Is that true that weight lifting stunting growth, if it was, I shall stop.

A lot of what your brother is telling you is really correct. There have been several studies conducted on teen weight lifting. Those studies suggested that certain types of weight lifting may damage the epiphysis, or growth plate, of your bones. There is also evidence that lifting heavy weight could speed up growth plate closure, which would stunt your growth. You should use relatively lightweights and do 2-3 sets with no more than 15 repetitions. You should also try to limit your workouts to 3, half-hour sessions for a week. It is important to learn the basics of weight training from a qualified instructor. Then you might need to get medical clearance from your doctor before you begin. Learning the proper technique will help you avoid future injuries associated with weight training and prevent stunting of growth. Your instructor can also give you the pointers for getting the most out of your workout. Check with your school, many physical education teachers are qualified in this area of weight lifting.