Hi there,
Not only am I new to this forum but also completely new to running for leisure. As many do, I have set myself a new years resolution based on fitness and decided it be in the form of running. Where I live at the moment there is a half marathon in May that I plan on competing in and I set myself the final goal of a full marathon by the years end. My simple question is will I be able to accomplish this? I would be completely motivated to the training schedule that would be required but as I have never ran before I don't know what this is or whether it would be possible. To gauge my level of fitness, last week I did a somewhat hilly run of two miles in 20/25 minutes but struggled near the end, though two days after I tried the same route and gave up after one and a half miles in the same time.

My question then is am I looking at a feasible task and if so could I have a few tips for my goal?

Thanks in advance :D

12 Months is a long time so you should be able to run a marathon. Running a marathon well however takes years of training.

My advice would be to get a suitable training plan from somewhere like runners world and stick to it!

Good luck!

Blog - Asics Kayano 17 Review

That's a reasonable time frame. Don't be afraid to walk some during the half marathon, but 12 months should have you prepared for a full as long as you are consistant in your training.

First of all, well done for setting these fitness goals. I had the same idea for my New Year's resolution and decided to run a half marathon this year (not sure about the full marathon yet!).

A training plan is key. As a newbie I definitely needed direction so browsed the net for some online programs.

I've been training for the Paris Half marathon in April, and so far so good. What has helped me most is the training program I use where there is music mixed with the voice of a coach. It helps me maintain the right running rhythm (so I don't run too fast or too slow), but most of all keeps me from getting bored and keeps me motivated.

It's called Jiwok, check it out, it could be useful! Good luck in the meantime, and happy running :-).