oh my, so many of us all have exactly the same problem! i have been breaking out in the sorest pimples all over my face. i havent had a pimple since i was 16. had a marina put in a year ago and the last 4-5 months iv been battling with acne. i have spent $1000's on skin care to no avail. i thought it must have been the marina but i couldnt find any confirmed info. so thank you ladies... im having it removed asap. hope everyone has done or is doing the same. good luck.

Its so amazing that this is happening to so many of you. I have had my Mirena for 8 Months. I'm in my early 20s and am basically going through menepause. I have Hot flashes, Mood Swings, Sweating, No Sex Drive, I'm Emotional, I have gained 30 lbs. I have been breaking out like crazy on my face around my temples on my Scalp, chest and upper back. I have gone to 3 different doctors to try to figure out what this "Rash" is. The most recent Dr thinks it is caused by a Sweating blockage. Its very painful and Itchy. I feel every bump that forms. Not to mention how embarassed i feel. I dont even want to wear low clothes or anything that shows my skin. I've never broken out before. It's Nice not to have periods anymore but for what cost? Mirena Was so painful to put in. The worst pain that I have ever felt. I kept telling myself you went through so much you have to make it worth it. but after reading that so many people have these symptoms I'm ready to say No thank you. I'm done.

I had mirena inserted five months ago and literally the moment I walked out of the doctors office, I began to have pain in my left leg. I have never really had acne but I am staring to notice problem areas but, the thing that is driving me crazy is all the sweating and the cravings ( which means weight gain). I have been in the gym every other day and i am still gaining. I have not eaten anything bad, and i can not take it. I am considering getting it taken out, because I am not myself. The only plus is no periods.... Then again I still become a monster for about a week..... HELP ME!!! 8-|

I am so glad I saw this I thought it was just me! I had mirena for a year after my first child and had it taken out to have my 2nd child I just had it put back in about 2 weeks ago and my skin is breaking out horribly and I sweat so much now it's ridiculous. I even sweat while I am in the shower that's how bad it is. I never had these problems my first go round with Mirena and I am really hoping they go away it's the easiest/best option or a contraceptive for me:/

Thank you for the posts.  I too was thinking that I am losing it.  I have had the Mirena since Dec so thankfully not that long but I have had issues all along.  I gained like 10 pounds and can't lose them either.  I have very bad PMS symptoms that I never experienced, mood swings, water retention, acne and bad cramps.  The acne has increased from some to lots more all over my back and now they are like reddish bumps that are more painful.  I totally hear all the ladies here!  I have maybe 3-5 days/month that I don't have something like discharge, spotting, etc. and am not a happy camper.  My removal appointment is for the end of the month and I can't wait!

I am so glad I foiund this forum!! I had mirena placed in february and within 2 weeks I broke out with acne on my face, scalp, chest, and back. I had HORRIBLE acne is high school in which I took Accutane for 2 rounds to clear it up. Prior to having the mirena placed my skin was flawless as it has been since completing Accutane. Now I have blackheads all over my face, neck, chest and back that you can feel when you touch my skin and I develop white heads almost every morning. All my doctors have said the progesterone released from the Mirena is so low it shouldn't cause any problems but I am with all of you, since I had this sucker placed I'm miserable! It's summer and I don't want to cover up my neck, chest, and back with heavy clothing. Ugh! I'm going to see my doctor next week and schedule to have this thing removed! Thank you to all of you for making me realize I'm not so nuts!! Good luck to all of you!

OMG!!!! I am definately gald I found this website! I am more than convinced that all my problems are the result of the Mirena. I've had the Mirena for about 2 years now and I am experiencing the worst problems. The acne is by far the worst acne I have ever had in my life. I've always had nice skin with an occasional mild breakout but nothing to this sort. I am also experiencing major weight gain and migranes, which sucks! I am definately getting this removed within the next month as my skin and weight are getting pretty embarrasing for someone whom has never had severe acne or been a heavy person. I would no longer recommend this birth control to anyone.

OMG i know it may sound a bit redundant at this point but seriously im so glad i found this! i have been searching for some sort of answers for over a year. I had my mirena put in 2 yrs ago after the birth of my 3rd child. i had some minor acne while pregnant but never as bad. i get it everywhere now, on my face, back, shoulders, neck, arms just everywhere. and i get the heat flashes so bad i literally havent been able to sleep in my bed in almost 6 months( i live in a townhome, bedroom is upstairs so it is slightly warmer than the rest of the house) i sleep with two fans pointed directly at me. and have had mood swings so badly i almost lost my husband earlier this year. I was beginning to think i was losing my mind or something. I will DEFINITELY be setting an appointment to have the IUD removed RIGHT AWAY!!!! Thank you all so much for your words of knowledge and support and just being willing to say something!!!

Thank everyone for these posts!  Everyone I know who has the mirena, loves it.  I also loved it, at first!  I've had it for about 1.5 years and it was all good the first 5 months, no heavy period and no cramping, YES!  Then the acne started and pretty much hasn't stopped.  I've had some minor acne on and off since teenager years, I'm 34, but never to the point of going to the dermatologist.  I'm now taking antibiotics and trying my third cream.  I'm no longer getting the cyst acne but am still getting new acne everyday.  I'm done.  I'll take the cramps and heavy bleeding, I'm tired of looking like a peperoni pizza!  I just pray that it's the mirena!  I want clear skin!

This Mirena is the worst!

I was in excrutiating pain when it was inserted, for starters. Then, I had persitent  abdominal pain for almost a month. Even as I sit here and type this my head is banging. I've been going through it daily--with  headaches/migraines...almost to the point of tears. This is just too much. I just read something published by Planned Parenthood as I searched the web for some answers/insight, that if you experience the following to...

"Serious problems usually have warning signs. Report any of these signs to your clinician as soon as possible.

* pain in the abdomen or chest
* severe headaches
* sudden shortness of breath or spitting up blood
* unusual swelling or pain in the leg or arm
* changes in the frequency, severity, or associated symptoms of your headache
* aura — gradual onset, yet short-term visual experience of arching, bright, flashing zig-zag lines
* worsening depression
* yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice)
* a new lump in your breast
* unusual heavy bleeding from your vagina"

I want this thing out. And now the extreme sweating is beginning to set in. I can't do this. I was embarassed in my vanpool from work the other day. I felt so uncomfortable trying to pin my arms to my sides as I hurried off. I'm a grown woman who hasn't experienced anything like that since I was a pre-teen.

And I'm too nervous about my skin now that I see these posts by all of you. I really should have checked the blogs before I had this thing inserted.

May God bless us all to come out of this...

OMG!!! I am in tears. I am 39 years old and had a stroke in June of this year. All of my doctors (OB/GYN, cardiologist, neurologist, family doctor) made me get off the pill because they thought it caused a clot which in turn caused the stroke. My OB/GYN recommended I go on the stupid Mirena and gave me a brochure to read to think about my options. I read the brochure and the Mirena website and found nothing wrong with the device. Plus, the doctor made it sound so good, so a week later I made an appointment to have it done. I have always had great skin, even through my teenage years, but a few days after getting the Mirena device, I noticed my face was extremely shinny, oily and had breakouts. I have spent so much money on products to control the shine but NOTHING has worked, even blotting with rice paper. Did I mention I am a makeup artist and know what works for all skin types, but for some reason no product out there has been able to control the shine on my face. I knew it had something to do with Mirena but I thought it was temporary. I have never had problems with excessive sweating, even when I run marathons (people always commented on how little I sweat during long runs), and all of a sudden I found myself sweating like a pig during my short runs. I am talking about dripping from head to toe. Then, I noticed my entire body was itching for no reason. I have sensitive skin but have not changed soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, so I could not understand the itching. I have been getting awful headaches, mood swings, depression, dizziness, memory loss. The latest symptom, joint soreness and shooting pain on my left leg, from hip to toes. One thing that upsets me the most is that all of my doctors know I suffer from severe depression but it has been under control for 4 years without any change or problems, and with this stupid Mirena I am starting to have problems again.

I am calling the id**t OB/GYN at UCLA who recommended this awful device and have it removed ASAP. I should have known it was too good to be true. I can't sleep knowing I still have this monster inside of me. Looking forward the class action lawsuit.

Update: Had it removed yesterday. The doctor looked at me as if I am crazy for wanting it removed, he was puzzled by the symptoms I am experiencing. He said he has removed only a few but it was because the patients wanted to have a baby. He has never heard of anyone with the symptoms I described. Just glad it is out of me. I have scheduled an appointment for blood tests. Lucky for me, my hormone levels were checked two weeks before I got the Mirena and I will have base levels to compare the new results to see if anything has changed.

Update: I had it removed 3 months ago. Not as easy as going in?! Although I must say the insertion process was pretty painful ;(. Turns out I am small down there and the strings couldn't be grabbed. Long story short and $3K DOLLARS later, I had to have a DNC to get it removed!! Another surprise the doctor doesn't tell you?! This is supposed to be the best thing and so easy- yeah right as we all now know!!
I feel like my body is getting back to normalcy. I still have chest/back acne but it doesn't seem to be getting worse thankfully! I am hoping that my body can reverse all the negative effects. Keeping fingers crossed!
And I second the Class Action Lawsuit talk!!

I've had the Mirena for 4 years now and I havent really had any major problems but the last 2 years my face has been horrible. I have small bumps all over my forehead and checks and spots all over my face. I am very self-concious and feel so ugly! I could never narrow it down to what exactly was causing my acne; however, researching the mirena and looking back at myself I know the mirena has been causing this the whole time. Ive always had beautiful skin and never had problems with acne until the last 4 years. I been back and foward to the dermatologist because nothing seems to work. I also have facial hair underneath my skin and on the side of my chin. This Mirena is horrible! I have an appointment to have it removed next week. Hopefully this will improve my skin and build up my confidence.

i had mirena for 2 months and it did tear me apart i broke out on my back,face ,neck,chest,legs and buttocks. i became depress and took it out and to my surprise i am overcoming this situation! will never advise anyone to use this product!