I am 37, no children yet but due to MDS, my dr have prescribed Thalidomide and my gynae suggested I use the Mirena IUD and so i did back in Aug 2009. By mid 2010 i completely stop bleeding but the sad part is since then I have gained nearly 22lbs. I am more emotional and becoming very lazy. Is it because of Mirena or its just me ? Hope to get feedback from those who has MDS and using Mirena now to share their experiences and maybe suggest what to do as I plan to remove the IUD but I dont know if I should try other types of Birth control method too. ?

Hi! I have never used Mirean IUD, but you can read about different experiences here https://www.steadyhealth.com/Mirena_IUD_Side_Effects_t133005.html I hope this helps.

I am 46 and recently diagnosed with MDS. I am doing well. After 3 blood transfusions my hemoglobin is finally holding. My long and frequent periods with heavy clots brought the MDS to my attention. My gyno gave me options to prevent blood loss. Option 1: Heavier dose of Provera (I take 1 per day now and it gives me night sweats)...I took 2 back when I was really sick and the sweating was 3 times worse. Option 2: Mirena IUD. Option 3: Ablation. I have read that ablation is 80% effective and my gyno said no Mirena after ablasion. My fear is a hysterectomy would be next if ablation wasn't successful. Figured the Mirena IUD was a good start. Along with the obvious complaints I read something about Mirena causing autoimmune disorders...besides the MDS I also have a couple of autoimmune disorders related to skin and nail problems. I have no plans of having more children. I know your post was over a year ago, but would like to know how you are doing with the device as well as the MDS.
Warm Regards,
Shannon