I had the Mirena put in 4 years ago.  After a full year of bleeding for 3 weeks out of the month and multiple hormone pills to find the imbalance, I had it removed.  Ever since then I cannot stop breaking out.  I feel like I have a hormonal imbalance and not sure where to go on it.  I have never had to wash my face until I started breaking out when I got it removed.  I dont know where to go now to get this to finally stop but I am done breaking out for this many years!

I am glad i decided to google this. So the good thing is my issues are not as bad as some of you, ladies, are experiencing but... acne is a persistant problem for sure, i have never had pimples that bad, and they dont quite seem to go anywhere. I dont think I have any issues with sweating though maybe I just havent really been paying attention. Sex drive is kind of the same even though right after I out Mirena in I broke up with my bf so nobody to really experience my sex drive with.... ugh i really enjoy my no period AND no babies birth control but i also would really enjopy an adult looking face......ugh

Hi everyone
I have more a for 5 years and I found myself in every comment which was here. The funy things I called company complain about some side affects expecially sweathing they told me nobody report anything like this one is for sure this thing is going OUT on 22 nd this month and I will take anything else than being miserable bloated hungry every 2 hour fatigue and so on. Thank u to all to post all of this u save my 850.00 this is how much is this now and the most importantly I am not sick and ia nothing wrong with me it mirena

I have had my Mirena in for 5 months, i had it put in to stop my extremely heavy periods, not for birth control. For the last 2 months my back has broken out with pimples (i never had many pimples as a teenager) and my sex drive left all together! I like not having a period but do i want to suffer the side effects? I guess i have to make a decision!

Had a Mirena put in about 4 months ago and a week later had a severe reaction to it. At the time didn't think it was caused by the Mirena because I had one put in after the birth of my second child 22 years ago. It never caused any complication and was very happy with it. This time around though it is a completely different story. If hadn't found this discussion I would still be clueless on what was causing my acne. I am 47 and only tend to get the hormonal spot once in awhile. My periods are heavier due to perimenopause and remembered how well the Mirena worked when I was younger at lessening the flow. I'm now stuck between the rock and a hard place here, I don't want to go back to the heavy bleeding but the acne is horrible. I guess the moral of the story here is that there are side effects to the Mirena but not everyone will get them, and maybe the same women as myself, may experience different effects with the same product at different stages of her life. Thanks ladies for posting your stories, it's cleared up the mystery and good luck with getting rid of your acne.

Yes, this is the worst birth control ever!! I am 39, and I have menopause! I always had regular cycles before having this Mirena, I have it for 1.5 years and my cycle totally stopped 6 months ago. The OBYN said it has nothing to do with the device, I don't believe it! I will have it remove in 2 weeks even if my doctor doesn't want, this is my body! I am so sad thinking I have menopause at my age..My mother had menopause at 52! I am on a Vivelle dot patch to regulate the hormones and also my thyroid is very low... All happened suddenly! But 1st was no cycle for 6 months and the doctor said it is normal.... I believe that all what is happening today is caused by Mirena. Have it remove before it is too late!!! I would like to see if I can reverse the menopause? Maybe with acupuncture and herbs.....I am so upsait at Mirena and those doctors!

I had Mirena inserted a year ago.  I had terrible heavy periods before and the doctor suggested the Mirena.  Well this helped reduce the heaviness of my period but I still get a period - every two weeks and it lasts for two weeks.  One bad trade off for another.  And I'm glad I found this post because I couldn't figure out what was going on with my skin.  Breakouts started right after I had Mirena inserted and after lots of expensive OTC acne medications I now have a face full of acne scars.  A new pimple, sometimes cyst like, every day.  It's become a losing battle and I'm very self-conscious of the scarring on the face.  And then there's the sweating.  I couldn't figure this one out.  Extreme and uncontrollable sweating and it comes at the best of times - right when I'm in the middle of facilitating a meeting at work.  I can't say the benefits of Mirena outweigh the negatives.  I want it out - I don't know what the solution for my heavy periods will be - but it's not Mirena.

I also have to make a decision - I love having no periods and no mood swings but now after almost 4 years of this thing I have acne. never had it before, ever and now my face is stressing me out. Do I take it out or live with a pizza face???

Has anyone noticed a strange smell to heir sweat as well as to their discharge? It's been driving me crazy. I've broken out and taken to using Burt's bees 3 times a day and clean and clear when I shower twice a day. Nada. No change. I have horrible night sweat and hot flashes and the only upside is I feel somewhat more energized between naps and in the morning. I like that it does the same thing as depo for me but not quite liking these side effects.

Well I've had the mirena for almost a month . I got it inserted six weeks after I had my second child Now it's like I had breakouts (acne) before , but now when I finally get rid of one ugly sore pimple another forms somewhere else !!!! It's terrielble and embarresing I called to talk to my doc but I didn't get a reply , they don't tell us anything is wrong with this bc because they just want us to get it and move on like we're getting on their f*****g nerves but I will definitely get this remove ASAP I don't sweat just Normal with that but I do have mood swings its may be because it's so early on I will not sit around for five years with this sh*t my appt is thursday and I'll be getting this sh*t removed I guess this is one of my mood swing days cuz its 11am and I'm pissed for no reason ready to break a neck I only get pimples around my mouth and chin and that's way more noticeable than temples or back or chest when you talk people look at your lips and I refuse to feel uncomfortable because I don't want to get pregnant there's is other birth controls we just have to find the one that best suits us cuz this birth control is BS!!!!!!!

When I called my MD today to talk about my bad acne, she said she has never heard of the Mirena IUD being associated with acne. Seems odd to me after reading all of your posts. I don't know what to do! I've never had acne in my whole life, I am 38! I keep getting big pimples and I feel like I am scaring from these pimples. Between the pimples on my face and on my neck, and the constant discharge, I am really unhappy with the Mirena. I was someone who would go without underwear depending of the outfit, well that could never happen now that I have the Mirena. Not sure which was worse-heavy periods that were at least predictable or no period but the unpredictability with the IUD. Gurrrrr

I have had the mirena for about 9 months and about 2 months ago I started to notice my face constantly breaking out. Every morning I have at least 2 new, what I like to call "under pimples", just massive pimples with no head, "cyst like", as someone else mentioned. I had bacne when I was younger but for the past 8 years I have had no pimples on my back, now I have to watch the tops I wear because of the new pimples emerging daily. Also my chest and neck and scalp are breaking out. Its disgusting. I feel so unattractive and that I am scarring my face. I recently visited a dermatologist who said the pattern was hormonal. She prescribed me an antibiotic and EpiDuo, which I just started using yesterday. I am hoping that works becasue I would hate to have the Mirena removed since I have no periods and do not have to worry about getting preganant or taking any birth control. But at this rate, I wont need to worry about getting pregnant because of how ugly this acne is making me!

I have not had a break out in years then within 6 mo of getting the mirena put in I have had awful acne especially on my neck back and chest! Its disgusting!  I thought it was my diet but I changed that drastically and that changed nothing!  I went to my DR and she gave me an antibiotic that did not help! I have also gained weight slowly even though I work out and eat VERY healthy. Also I notice the sweating and discharge smell.  Its really nice to not have a period and not to worry about getting pregnant but early onset menopause is not what I want!  Maybe I should get my tubes tied!

How soon did everyone's symptoms start? I got my Mirena put in a few months ago and I've been an emotional wreck. And though my skin isn't breaking out super-bad, I am getting really painful pimples that I never used to get. And having my "nether-regions" smell off is something that didn't happen before. I might talk with my doctor about getting it taken out before this gets worse... The pill wasn't bad for me, it was just inconvenient. But I'll take inconvenient over being gross....

i've had the mirena for 4.5 yrs and have all the same symptoms as previous posters. Symptoms started about 18 months after i got it inserted, and over the past 3 yrs have slowly but surely gotten worse and worse. horrible acne on face which spread 2 my neck, chest, back, arms. Little white hairs all over face, chest, belly, everywhere. Migraines, hot flashes, mood swings, extreme fatigue, absolute zero sex drive. I feel like im going thru puberty and menopause at the same time and im 26yrs old. I wish i wouldve found this post sooner cuz im afraid my face is gonna be permanently scarred. Listen, all u who are thinking about waiting it out 2 see if the symptoms improve, save yourself years of stress, depression, and embarassment and have it removed before things get worse. I too like alot of these women have been having marriage problems due to my lack of libido and constant mood swings. I never suspected mirena cuz they said there was very little hormones and almost no side effects. I also occasionally get severe sharp cramps that are worse than labor pains. also my periods, while they are very light and only last a few days, are so unpredictable. For the first year i had the mirena, i spotted almost every day the whole year. I loved the fact that i wouldnt have to worry about getting pregnant for 5yrs but its not worth it, im finding something else asap. Im not even waiting the 6 months til its due to be taken out. Sorry for the long post and thanks to all of you for giving me the answer i have been searching for for 3 years! Good luck everyone and please update with any improvements after removal.