I can't believe what I'm reading! Here I have been suffering all these years with severe acne in my 30's and all along never made the correlation to the Mirena. I'm so relieved I'm not the only one! I had it inserted in May 2011 and removed yesterday. In that interim, I had terrible persistent cystic acne on my face, chin, back, everywhere. It was embarrassing! I was self- conscious when I went out and when I did I wore so much makeup. I'm so glad I made the decision to have it removed! When I had it inserted I was married and never wanted to have any more children. The process was EXCRUCIATING and TRAUMATIC. I had it for 2 years and while I was glad to not have a period, I still experienced mood swings and spotting the same as I would when it was my time of the month, but I never bled so I never knew when that would be. And the ACNE! Every day I would wake up with new cysts. It would never end. I tried every product on the market and spent thousands of dollars trying to clear up my skin, but nothing ever worked. I decided to get it removed because my bf has had a vasectomy, so there is no need for us to use bc. Also the thought of that thing inside me freaked me out a little. I've started on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo hoping it will clear my acne. But if it doesn't work, I'll just get off it.

Having it removed did not hurt at all! I was so scared thinking it would be painful after what I experienced implanting it. But it was nothing! Felt like a tampon coming out!

Good luck ladies having complications with this awful method. It isn't natural. I definitely advice anyone that has one experiencing the sweating and the acne to have it removed.

Great to read this posts and validate what I thought was going. Horrible, painful acne, excessive sweating, mood swings - it's like I'm 16 all over again. I've spent quite a bit of money on facial products and having facials at my local spa. In addition I have a drawer full of deoderant to help with the excessive sweating. I was a sweater before but not to this degree. Last week I started mentioning to friends I think I'm going through menopause. This string of posts has completely validated my experience. The Mirena must go. Calling tomorrow to make an appointment.

Hi there, I am reading all of these posts, and it is taking me back to last year when I was at my wits end! My skin was so bad.... I didnt want to leave the house. I had the mirena removed and my skin actually got worse for about 3 weeks. A year later, I couldnt be happier, my skin is back to normal (in fact the best it has ever been). Ladies - remove it if it is causing acne! There is a better life waiting for you. I am on Yaz now and have no side effects (apart from nausia if I take it on an empty stomach). Good luck - I know how you are feeling!

Omg ! I thought I had hyperthyroidism because I can have a shower and not long after when I've done nothing I'm smelling like a man that's done a hard day of work ! I've never been a sweater EVER ! Although its just under my arms I can not handle it anymore. I never break out but I have but it's the sweating I can't stand. Another issue is I CONSTANTLY get thrush now I'm so over it getting it out tomorrow and I can not wait :)

I've had the Mirena for 3 years now and loved it except for the acne!! i have never had acne and i have it so bad i would get head aches. like the cystic acne. you have to pop the huge pimples because they feel like they are going to explode if you don't. I have an appointment next week to remove the Mirena.

i saw a dermatologist a few months ago and he asked about my BC and once i said Mirena, he said that is the cause. he gave me an antibotic to take 2 times a day and it worked a little bit where i could notice but i don't want to deal with medicine when i can just remove this beast instead. If you have horrible acne, take it out before you scar your skin for life. I'm petrified of the scars. my face has never been clear enough for me to see the scars. good luck everyone!!

sex drive not there

have you seen a difference?

I found this and had a huge relief I have had mirena for two years and as a teen I would occasionally get bumps due to my periods but after having mirena it has spread! It first began on my forehead then to my cheeks. It has totally ruined my confidence. It truly makes me feel ugly, acne is the worst for women. As far as the sweating its a difference but not like the acne it's time to remove this thing! It brought me nothing but trouble

Wow, reading this post and what you ladies have been through, it is such a blessing and a relief to not be alone!

Prior to Mirena, I was on HBC since I was 16 (to deal with a heavy irregular cycle and-- you guessed it!-- acne). At first it was OTC, then Yaz. I tried the Depo shot for two cycles, and it made me legitimately crazed. So back on the Yaz I went! My doc told me about Mirena. I know I don't want kids for at least five more years, but I am also going to keep having sex, so let's be safe. Also, not getting a period is awesome. All systems were go!

I went on Mirena a year ago on 25 Sept 2013-- I am a single, child free 28 year old, and my ob/gyn had no issues putting it in. I spotted for about a month, and then it was fine.

Wow, Jesus, after Christmas, my mood swings and depression were out of control. I could not control my binge eating, and suddenly I was tired and cranky all the time. Of course, I chalked the 10 lb weight gain up to all of the stress at work.

My father mentions to me that my skin is looking a little rough for the wear after the holidays, and asks if maybe the IUD is exacerbating my hormonal acne and accelerating my weight gain. (He heard it on Dr. Oz, go figure.)

By February 2013, my teenage acne had returned. Yeah, the acne that went away when I was 17-ish came back in a HUGE WAY. Angry, swollen, red cysts deep under my chin, around my jaw, and on my cheekbones. Fresh white heads every morning, and stubborn blackheads. Just crazy, crazy acne! Nothing made it go away-- not ProActiv, not the Origins.... So, I chalked it up to the stress at work, not sleeping well, my poor eating habits, alcohol, ANYTHING except the IUD. I was so embarrassed to go outside because of my skin! One day, a little girl told me that I had so many bug bites, and I burst into tears! My skin had been so beautiful just a summer before, and I was at a loss. I didn't know what to do with this terrible cystic adult acne. It was itchy, I was scratching, it was getting even worse and infected... and now the scarring!

The first derm I went to put me on Aczone and 200 mg Doryx-- my face turned bright red and scaly from the Aczone, and I developed a wicked yeast infection from the antibiotic. (I've never had a yeast infection before and I thought I was on the brink of DEATH.)  Needless to say, the Doryx was yanked and the yeast infection treated with Diflucan, but now I had spotting and breakthrough bleeding with the worst cramps of my life. After my regular yearly gyn exam a couple of weeks later, my ob/gyn sent me to a new dermatologist and swore up and down it probably wasn't the IUD. He also told me the bleeding would stop in a couple of weeks. (For the record, I bled for two months, was fine for a month, and now I am spotting again. So much underwear RUINED.)

The new derm took a more holistic approach to my face-- no more meds, just a new skin regime and tretinoin and Glytone. I went on a 3-week cleanse, drank more water, and lost 15 lbs. My skin saw little to no improvement, so back to my doc I go. Now he put me on minocycline and it's helping with the itchiness and clearing it up, I don't see any real improvement. I can't be on antibiotics forever to treat this cystic acne, and I don't want to use Accutane. I was going back to the derm this week, but thenI discovered this forum, and a few other ones. 

After reading everyone's experiences, solutions, and ideas, I think the best thing for me to do is have the Mirena removed and go back on Yaz-- which works really well for me (three years of success). I think that my adult cystic acne, weight gain, and depression are all related to the Mirena. Why stay on it, for the sake of not getting pregnant, when there are other HBC options out there that will work better for me? I know Mirena is great for many women-- my 30 year old cousin among them-- but it obviously did not agree with my hormonal composition. I know that I never got pregnant on the pill-- 10 years of continuous use-- and I know that I can remember to take a pill everyday, and I always use condoms, so I'm not worried. What I am worried about is my face, and there is no easy fix for my face without getting rid of Mirena!

I talked to my amazing ob/gyn, and the Mirena is coming out next week (he's a busy man). I'm starting my new pack of Yaz next Sunday to get my schedule back to normal. I'm so relieved-- I hope that my skin clears up, I can lose the rest of this weight, and that my mood improves. 

So many women have this problem with Mirena and I wish that doctors were A) more aware of the issues! (ob/gyns and derms); and B) more willing to put the onus on Mirena.

Thanks everyone for sharing their stories!

Haymitch

Thank you all for your posts! I’ve had a sneaking suspicion for some time that the Mirena could have been the culprit of many of the issues I’ve been experiencing over the last couple of years. I started doing some digging and I came across this forum. Just like the many other women here, I’ve had the exact same experiences. 

I too had to get an IUD about 2 years ago because I have a rare condition that can cause blood clots in my shoulder. I was informed that it was safe and side effects are minimal. Boy was I in for a surprise! I haven’t had any children yet so the insertion of the IUD was something else. I’ve never cramped up from my periods though since having the IUD I now get painful craps during the time of the month. Besides that all was well for about the first 6 months and I loved the fact that my periods were getting lighter (though never really completely went  away).

About 6 months after getting the IUD, my face started breaking out. I’ve never had an issue with acne, not even as a teenager. I may have gotten the odd spot once in a while but never full blown acne. Now I hate to look at my face in the mirror, it’s everywhere, my forehead, jawline, cheeks and chin, my skin went from beautiful to dreadful. Thankfully it’s stayed to my face but I’m now very self-conscious about my appearance. I’ve also started excessively sweating for no reason when I was always very active before and would never sweat. I wake up most mornings and my pj’s are soaked right through. I’ll be in the office and the rest of me could be chilled and I’ll still sweat profusely and primarily under my arms along with my chest and shoulder area.  I’ve always been a thin individual with a high metabolism. It’s never been easy for me to gain weight, and now I can’t keep it off. I’ve tried everything to help myself thinking maybe it’s my diet, fitness levels, the products I’m using etc. I’ve tried Proactive, medicated prescription creams, regular face care products, and most recently all natural products. Nothing works! I’ve changed my diet to mainly organic, no processed foods etc. and nothing helps with the acne or the weight gain.

As for my libido, thankfully my boyfriend has been patient because it’s pretty much nonexistent now. Again this is not at all normal for me. It’s playing a heavy toll on our relationship. I’ve noticed mood swings but just like the other issues I would think the cause was something else like stress. I feel like I’m going insane, I’ve always been a stable healthy individual and now I feel so imbalanced. I’m a 30 year old woman and I just want to feel normal again so I’ve called my doctor and I have an appointment in a few days to discuss having it removed! I’ll keep you posted on the outcome once it’s removed.

I am 25 and have had the Mirena IUD in since 06/2010. I have never had more than a few pimples in my life, never causeing pain or scaring, and never needing make-up. I can count how many times I have worn make-up in my entire life, because I NEVER needed it. That is before I got the Mirena implant. I have purchased and tried everything over the counter, ProActive, Mary Kay acne treatment gel, Avon... you name it I have tried it with no relief. My husband has finally suggested seeing a doctor about the issue since it is changing the way I look at myself. And how everyone sees me. The scares and constant pain are taking their toll.

Today is the first time it hit me to search and see if others have reported this issue. So now that I am convinced this is my problem, has anyone seen relief since getting it removed? Is this something that I will struggle with from here on out because of this? Is there anything we can do?

I have had the Mirena nearly a year now and everyone says I look older now, I had beautiful skin all my life until last December. It is so bad that now my pores are enlarged and I have water retention under the eyes, I really cant wait for two weeks time when I get it taken out.

I wanted to provide an update as I was finally able to get my Mirena IUD taken out today. While in my doctor’s office I had actually picked up a pamphlet on the Mirena IUD and was reading the list of side effects... and guess what. Most of the issues all of us have been having are in fact listed as side effects. Here is the list of side effects they provided word by word:

“The following side effects have been observed in studies of woman taking MIRENA: breast pain, complication associated with the presence of an intrauterine device, pain, painful periods, altered mood, headache, acne, genital discharge, back pain, withdrawal bleeding, ovarian cyst, decreased sex drive, weight increase, heavy menstrual bleeding (menorrhagia), depression, vaginal infection, nervousness, nausea, vaginal hemorrhage, skin disorder. Device breakage has also been reported.”

- Ashley

I'm glad I read this I had my Merena for two years now I always had a little acne here and there but never on my back cheeks and my chin plus scarring I hate when people look in my face gotta wear make up to cover it sometimes it's so embarrassing about to call now and set up a appointment to remove it I didn't want to believe it was the Merena but now I know I guess these no periods was too good to be true lol I guess il be better with no birth control I only had it for the no periods I have a girlfriend anyway I jus hate bleeding so I had it inserted thank u everybody

Thanks for the post I thought it was just me. I never had any with acne ever and to think @ the age of 38yrs its bad so for me. I have lil scar on my face now. Another than the pimples I love this birth control over all. back to the ring

I totally understand! I've had the Mirena for almost 5 years to prevent the heavy bleeding. However, I have sweating & acne issues. I even got Botox under my arms to help with the problem. It wasn't until my Mirena expired that I realized I wasn't sweating so much! Another type of IUD???