Just curious...it is possible to train for a 10k and marathon at the same time and peak optimally for both of them or does one have to sacrifice one event for the other since the training methods differ somewhat for each distance?

I'm asking this because I'm nearing the end of my current race season and I'm not planning on doing any major races after early August till next year. I am considering a marathon for next spring (my 2nd one) but at the same time I feel that I still want to bring down the current 10k PR some more.

Both endeavors will be challenging...If I am to do the marathon, it will be to hit or break 2:50. The 10k, partly depending on how I'll do on my goal race in 2 weeks (goal's to break 37), about 35 mins.

There's also the issue of time availability...I'll be back in school this September and it will be now very important for me to get good grades (as this will determine my saleability for entry into grad school next year).

These are just some of my rough ideas for next year...I haven't given any considerable thought into planning the details out yet...

No. The volume of marathon training will help your 10k time. But, since you are looking at pretty fast times, you will need more specificity.

I agree with Bob. You can PR at both distances. But you can't peak for both. So.......yes, you can get you 2:50 and your 35........but it probably means that you are capable of 2:45 OR 34:00.

that said.....I'd shoot for both of those goals if I were you......and lowering times for both. At some point of your life, and I wouldn't until I plateaued or you determine you are more competitive in one....you will pick one our the other. You are still improving at both distances, so this keep on keepin on.

i agree with Sue and Bob to a point, i definitely think that you'd have a difficult time peaking for say 26.2 and 5 k at the same time....but 10K training actually fits in pretty well with marathon training...if you are putting in miles, and doing a good amount of longish runs at marathon pace or better...and doing some LT work in the 5-8 mile range all of which fits in well with pfitzinger mode of marathon training...I think you'd be very, very close to optimization of both...like sue says you might be off a little from your true capability if you had more specific training, but i'd like to see you try!
---
megawill