I have a question about leg speed. I’m wondering whether it’s what determines the general speed or not. I’m trying to improve my speed and I don’t know what to pay special attention to. If leg motion is the critical aspect responsible for the speed, I might try to work on it. But how? Maybe I should exercise workouts and boost my leg muscles.

You may, of course, start with workouts, but I think that leg speed is not that is the most responsible segment for the overall speed. The general body condition and breathing as well as strategy are all factors responsible for the speed and technique quality. You should master the breathing pattern perfectly in order not to feel tired and in order for your lungs to be always with sufficient amount of oxygen. Another thing is how you plan your run, and that is a strategy. You should know when to accelerate your speed and when to slow down. Legs are, naturally, very important and they should be strong so that the body can move smoothly.

For what race distance are you training? 400m, 800m, 1 mile, 5k, 10k??

How long have you been running?

What distances have you been training?

Have you tried any speedwork so far?