Hi everyone.

I am very interested in a fiber35 diet. I’m even considering trying it.

My eating habits are really bad, I love everything that is over fried, crispy, full of oil. I cannot live without junk food and snacks.

But since I made a problem with my bowels I am aware I must change my habits. That is why I am considering this diet.

The problem is, I am worried that since I don’t eat fiber at all, my bowels will react in a bad way when I suddenly start consuming that much fiber. What do you think? Can this diet have any bad side effects on me?

Hi TinkerBell23

Well since you say you never consume fiber or very rarely, this high fiber diet can be a little too much for you and you organism. You may wanna start slowly. First adjust your bowels by consuming 15 grams of fiber daily and then, after a while, when you get used to it, you can increase the amount of fiber. That way you can reduce the chance of your bowels reacting badly on the changes that you make.

Another thing that you can do is to drink a lot of fluids. Water can help the fiber to move fast through your digestive system so it will lower the possibility of you having stomach cramps because of too much fiber.

Hello TinkerBell23, Aidan1

Aidan you are right. A sudden increase of fiber in a short period of time can cause stomach cramps, intestinal gas, diarrhea and bloating. When this happens, the time is needed for these symptoms to disappear. That is because the natural bacteria in the digestive system need some time to get used to the amount of fiber you are consuming.

Also high fiber diets tend to interfere with the absorption of minerals. So you may lack calcium, magnesium, iron,  and zinc. But this is usually not a big problem for people trying this diet because the food you eat (fiber rich food) is mostly rich in minerals. 

A Sudden increase or intake of any kind does have its side effect. Once the system accepts it then, things will should even it self out.