People, I hope that you can help me deal with this one. My really good friend Emma - she is like my sister, is really depressed. She lost her job, she doesn't have a boyfriend for a couple of years now and she told me that she thinks that there is nothing good in her life. I hate to see her suffer, and I can see that she is depressed. And I am scared and I don't know what to do, how to help her. Can you tell me? How to help when friend (which is like a family member) is depressed? Tnx a lot. 

Sometimes it is hard to know what to say when speaking to a close one about depression. You might fear that if you bring up your worries he or she will get angry, feel insulted, or ignore your concerns. You may be unsure what questions to ask or how to be supportive.

Just remember that being a compassionate listener is much more important than giving advice. You don’t have to try to “fix” the person; you just have to be a good listener. Often, the simple act of talking to someone face to face can be an enormous help to someone suffering from depression. Encourage the depressed person to talk about her feelings, and be willing to listen without judgment.

Nina gave you the best advice there is when it comes to trying to help to someone suffering from depression. They just need someone who is going to actually listen to them. I don't think that they want advice on how to overcome their condition, they probably already heard that a hundred times, they just want someone who is going to sit by their side, who is going to listen to them and who is going to try and understand them. Try to see things from her perspective and you might get a glance at how she feels and what she thinks about things.

She is your really good friend, so you need to try and help her. Don't think about doing anything wrong, just go for it. You probably know each other for so long so you probably won't make any mistakes, you know her well enough.Take the advice of the people who wrote above me, focus on listening and not on talking, let her open her soul to you. Don't give too many advices, she already heard those, just pay attention to what she is saying, I'm guessing that nobody really ever listened to her and tried to see how she actually feels.

one of the best things to do is to listen. Just sit down and start a conversation, let them talk as much or as little as they like but remember that you are to just listen. Alot of the time a depressed person when expressing their feelings want someone to listen rather than offer solutions.

because depression tends to make people withdraw from others its easier to gain their trust and confidence by not offering solutions straight away. Then after a few talks you can help them devise a strategy to solve whatever problem they might have.

it is not your job to fix their depression as only they can do that. But with your help and understanding you can guide them and comfort them.

if it gets to the point where it is causing them to hurt themselves you need to se a psychiatrist.

You literally copied this word for word off another site. Don't plagiarise. You basically took all credit from the author of helpguide.

If I put myself in the skin of a depressed person, I probably wouldn't want you to talk to me if you are going to make me feel even worse. That might be why people suffering from depression distance themselves from other people, probably because they know that they won't understand, or even try to understand.

If you do what others told you and you just listen to the person speaking, then you couldn't possibly make a mistake, right? However, you need to pay close attention to what this person is saying because you will have to be the one speaking eventually.

It's actually really easy to mess this one up, Guest. Depressed people want you to actually listen to them, but they are as well actually listening to you while you are talking and they are paying attention to every single word that you are saying. So if you are going to talk to a depressed person, you need to actually think about what you are going to say, everything has to have a meaning, otherwise you are just going to make things even worse. But yes, you need to focus on listening rather than on talking, they will appreciate it more as well.

Good day everyone.

It is very hard to give some advice like this one because I do know and I have been in the exactly same situation. I was depressed and my family and friends didn't know how to help me. In one moment I wanted to be alone and next moment I wanted somebody to be around me. So, that is very hard to tell. My advice is that you should never leave depressed person alone and you should never argue with depressed person, you can only make it worse. So try to understand this person. It is important! 

it is very hard to tell what to do because every person has different behavior during depression. So, if I tell you - be with that person, I might make a mistake. If I tell you - go away when this person is depressed, I can also make a mistake. The most important thing is - do not do anything, but ANYTHING that can make this person angry or sad. They can do some bad things when in this condition. This person can do something bad and you need to be aware of this all the time.

Hi.

There are so many things that you can do to make depressed person feel better. You can try to ask him or her a lot of questions about depression - for example, when this started to happen, does this person has some suicidal thoughts or something like that.

Also, you should educate yourself about depression and what depression actually is. 

Try to talk about stress with this person because that is the best way to understand how he or she feel.s

Also,one very good thing is to remind that person all the time that he or she is not alone and that he or she needs to have good will to get out of this depression. 

My mom is depressed since my dad left us. When he went, my brother also abandoned us so two of us are alone now. And because of this whole situation my mom is depressed all the time. It is very important to give her hope or to pass some hope to depressed person daily. That was the only thing that helped my mom. And than she was telling me what is bothering her, so that is the next step - you need to listen to depressed person all the time because they will understand that they are not alone. I read somewhere that the most power is when you listen to someone. And I completely agree to this one.