Hi everyone. I'm a teenager and, recently, I have acquired red, blotchy, flaky skin on my chin area. Also, I have flaky skin right next to my nose. I was using Aveeno to reduce the redness and clean the areas up, but this only worked for a little while and the redness/flakiness came back quickly. Along with this, it was itchy and would burn occasionally. I have stopped using the Aveeno and applied hydrocortisone 1% cream to the areas and it has seemed to help a bit, as the burning and itchiness have stopped. But, the redness still remains. Has anyone had any similar experiences and know what it might be?

I have struggled with this same condition for about 4-6 months now. I have tried many things. The 1% hydrocortisone cream helps with the burning and itching but it still remains red, just to a lesser degree. I have somewhat sensitive skin but nothing outrageous. This is the first time I have had one exclusive red rash/patch on my face. The rash is between my bottom lip and chin.

I am 27 and just suffered through an 6 month oral thrush problem that took several treatments to clear up. I had a full bloodwork and cell check labs which came out normal. (oral thrush started about the same time as the rash appeared so I thought they might be linked) The oral thrush has cleared up but the rash remains.

If anyone has any insight I would love to hear it.

Sounds like seborrheic dermatitis. If it is, there is no know cause or cure. It's aggravated by cold weather. Treat with nizoral once or twice daily, hydro cortisone before bed. Symptoms should taper off. Then nizoral 2-3 times a week to keep it at bay. If symptoms move into hairline, switch shampoos to the selinium head & shoulders shampoo in the dark blue bottle. I have this condition myself. It's caused by a build-up of a particular form of yeast on the skin. The strategy is keep the yeast build-up at bay, and you control the symptoms. No one knows how to curb the body's production of this yeast.
Nizoral is available at your grocery store, as is hydro cortisone cream, and the head and shoulders shampoo.

seems to me that you may have Perioral Dermatitis. I have had it for years and it comes and goes. It burns when I put certain types of lotion on. My friend has it as well and she got a cream from her doctor. I am going to try and get that cream as well even though they say it is hard to cure. Look the term up Perioral Dermatitis...

By the description of your symptoms you sound like you may have acne rosacea. It is a chronic skin condition that is treated by applying Metro cream (metronidazole cream) once a day. It is a prescription cream. The condition is often misdiagnosed. Symptoms very from person to person. Your symptoms are almost verbatim of the condition. Here is a link to a website, you can decide for yourself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosacea

I went to the dermatologist just yesterday about this very thing. He prescribed Tetracycline 500 mg. daily and told me to buy 1% Hydrocortisone cream and mix 50/50 with 5% Benzoyl Peroxide and apply to affected area twice a day.

He told me to hold off on the Tetracycline for a couple of weeks as he thinks just the mixture will do the trick. I hope it works.

Hey, it sounds like I'm experiencing the same thing. Between my mouth and my chin, it started as a small red spot that started developing a scab after 1-3 days and I was stupid and pulled the scab off. Over the last week no more scabs have formed but my skin is a medium shade of red and what started off 1/2 the size of a penny is slowly spreading over the front of my chin / under my lip. The original spot is dry, but not flaky...the new spots flake a little bit, at least at first. Dumb question, but had you done anything sexual recently before this happened? I ask because i performed oral sex on a girl 2-4 days (?) before it started. Dumb, but maybe you did something similar..just looking for answers, thanks.

Use Sudacrem, It Makes it look flakier For about 1 day but then It all just disappears. I have had this for a long time but never bothered going to the doctors My dad told me to try it and it worked :-D So glad it has gone :-D

I have this skin condition. It was mild but pesky (recurrent outbreaks) until I started using Nizoral shampoo as a facewash. I have not had an outbreak in six months. It is functionally cured. If I stop using the shampoo, I am certain it will return, but this basically eradicates the problem. I don't even use a lot of it (just a dap the size of a coin each wash).

I hated using hydrocortisone cream. It gave me steroid rosacea and made my skin burn. I don't feel a thing with the Nizoral. My scalp is clear too.

about a year ago, a little spot in the right corner of my chin (where the crease in skin is between the chin and mouth) occurred, and soon became flaky, so much so that it would flake off within a half day. now the problem spread around the crease of skin between my chin and mouth to the left side. everyday i wake and the skin is very flaky and simply flakes off while the skin remains red and cracked in appearance. it may be nothing, but i stopped washing that area on my face with soap, and it seems to reduce in size and severity. not gone by any means, but less in severity. before i "treat" the skin, it basically looks like little pieces of dry, flaky skin. i consulted a doctor, clinical however, and he game me metronidazole, said to use it for 10 days twice daily, however, it did nothing.

anybody experience this, or know anything about it?

I've been dealing with this issue for several years now.

(I am not a Doctor and I suggest that you seek the advice of your personal physician before you take any action on the things that I
am disusing in this post)
With that said...
I seem to be able to tame it sometimes by the way I eat
and the types of foods that I take in.
With me, it seems to be some sort of over production of oils in that one area.
If you think that it is dry flaky skin and treat it with lotions or the like,
this may make it worse.
Soaps can also make it worse.
I spoke with a dermatologist and asked her if I could control it with my eating habits, she said NO WAY!

That let me know that YES, there is a chance that I can look further
into my food intakes. ha ha!!!

I and my wife are a big eater of pumpkin seeds.
Whenever, I eat a bag of seeds, the symptoms get very bad.

If I lay off of the seeds, it will begin to clear up.
There may be certain oils in the seeds that are aggravating the condition.
I also believe that certain breakfast serials will also cause a flair-up.
It may be the high sugar content or maybe the oils that they are made with.
Try laying off of the peanut butter.
Try experimenting and narrowing things down that you are eating.

I do not suggest that you try eating certain foods just to cause a flair-up,
in order to narrow down the symptoms.
With that said.

Hope this helps.

I have had red flaky skin in my mustache and eyebrows for many years now. Some days if would be so bad I'd call in sick to work.

Today, after I finished shaving I tried some Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol (This brand was Pure Standard Products) It also says "USP - Contains 70% v/v Isopropyl Alcohol"

I poured a little bit on a Q-Tip and rubbed it on my mustache area. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T DIP THE USED Q-TIP BACK IN SO YOU DON'T CONTAMINATE THE ALCOHOL. I just used a fresh Q-Tip each ti,e and made several applications, just holding the Q-Tip over the sink and pouring directly on the Q-Tip.

Within 1-2 hours the redness was almost completely gone. I couldn't believe it because I just tried it on a whim. I'm thinking this is definitely a bacteria fungal and maybe the rubbing alcohol killed it or minimized it. I can still see a tiny bit of red, but I'm going to continue with the rubbing alcohol over the next few days to see if it completely disappears or at least minimizes it to something I can live with comfortably.

I should also add it's important to change your pillow cases and bed sheets EVERY DAY. I know that sounds like a lot of work, but anything that rubs off your face is probably on your pillow. If it is a fungal bacteria, you're just going to re-contaminate yourself.

I PRAY THAT THIS ISOPROPYL RUBBING ALCOHOL IS A LONG TERM FIX FOR THIS FRUSTRATING PROBLEM!

It's been 2 days and the red and flaky skin is gone from my mustache. I can't believe this. Why didn't I find this sooner! I wonder if I should still use it daily or will that just lessen the effect?

It sounds like Perioral Dermatitis. I had it around my mouth. My dermatologist gave me Tetracycline and it went away and never came back. He said Hydrocortizone actually will look like it is working, but makes the condition worse.

I have it too.. i've just been putting whatever lotion i can find on it and when i shower i scrub all the dead skin off.. but it sucks.. after i shave my chin is all dry and red.. and when i finish washing my face the corners of my nose are red and like the next day theres a rough layer of skin over it that is all flakey. its not really noticable but its still annoying. i'm just gonna cut my face off with a switchblade and then like.. put john travoltas face on mine.. and then chase nicolas cage around.