My doc has prescribed me some hydrocortisone cream (1%), which helped LOADS with my hems. I used it for 10 days, although the leaflet that came with it said only to use it for 7 days.

For the last 2 days I've been using a non-hydrocortisone cream which is basically zinc oxide, and it's not providing the same level of relief.

I know there can be issues with using hydrocortisone long-term, but can I continue using it a bit longer do you think? How long can I safely use it for? It is only 1%, but then again using it on swollen veins isn't exactly the same as putting it on your face.

How long have your doctors said you can use hydrocortisone creams for?

ALso - if I stop using it, how long do I need to wait before I can use it again?! A week? More?

Thanks.

I've been using it for years on just about every sore spot I get. I've been using it on my hemmers for a long time, but not every day. I only use it when the soreness becomes unbearable and it hurts really bad when I wipe. It works great. If I put it on at night before bed, the sore spots are usually gone in the morning.

That's not a prescription item where I live so the doc never told me to use it and I never asked him about it. I have my semi annual checkup next week so I'll try to remember to ask him about it. The only advice he gave me about the riods when we/he/I discovered them many years ago was "don't bother wasting your money on Prep H".

Thanks for your reply.

My doc said to put it on twice a day, but he didn't specify how long to use it for. I've been putting it on twice a day & after I've been to the bathroom too. He did give me 2 huge tubes of it - way more than I could use in a week if I tried. Maybe I will try to use it just once a day.

I just today used it again, as I was worried I was going to get another flare up.

I am waiting to be referred to a colorectal surgeon, but there is a 6-8 week waiting list. I'm hoping that he can band them - I want to avoid surgery if at all possible, but also to get the little blighters dealt with before they get any bigger (increasing need for surgery!).

PS I forgot to say: The cream also contains miconazole nitrate 2% - this is an anti-fungal. Not sure why the doc gave me this in the cream as well, as I don't have any sort of fungus infection - I'm pretty sure the good results are due to the hydrocortisone, not this other stuff.

Exactly my question.  Using "Proctozone - HC"  2.5%.  sure helps the pain...but how long should I use it for?  Feel like these roids are never going to quit.  But I've heard that hydrocorisone can THIN THE SKIN of the area you use it on..

Does it make sense to thin the skin of the roid?  Don't think so.  Sounds like a big problem could develop.

Someone tell me it's not true - tell me that I CAN use Proctozone - HC indefinitely.

Nancy

My doc said one week on, one week off for the proctozone hc. 3 times a day