I am at a loss, scared and depressed .... I was recently diagnosed with candida glabrata after a round of antibotics for a sinus infection ( too strong of dose in my opinon) I had the same thing happen 10 years ago after Cipro you would think I would have learned..  But anyway here I am again.  I started with burning in my mouth and have geographic tongue just like before, then went to gyno because I had very little discharge and burning (normal symptoms for glabrata) I was so upset when culture came back 3+ candida glabrata.  I immediatley stopped eating all sugars, gluten, yeasts and started probotics and drinking keifer.... To back up a little,  I was prescribed Ketoconozole for 10 days orally because diflucan doesnt touch glabrata. Then I did two internal treatments of butonconozle 2% cream.  I still felt like I wasnt normal so I called the Gyno again to see if she will reculture and she said to try 14 days of boric acid 600 mg each night...so I did 7 nights,  then had to stop due to irritation I felt was happening. I didnt feel the burn until today, 4 days off boric, and my Gyno will not reculture for 3 weeks..I guess to give it a chance to grow back enough to see it..I dont know??...so I am using Crisco to help soothe the area and trying to remain calm.  I am thinking of trying coconut oil around the are too (which I cook with anyway for antifungal purposes) I am reading and reading so much on glabrata and researching about diets and alkaline/acid bodies...I am driving myself nuts honestly...in 3 weeks I have lost 18 pounds....I would really like to connect with some people that understand me and we can give support.. I feel so frustrated and alone, 3 Drs just look at me like I am crazy and prescribe Diflucan...and research shows glabrata is resisitant to this drug...the one thing they did call me in to be compounded that will kill glabrata at 99% rate was going to cost $3000.00 !! yes $3000.00...Last night after reading many other sites I started applying coconut oil and it seems to help the burn..I am going to a specialist next Tuesday so I am trying not to use any antifugals so he can get a clean look and possibly a new culture.....any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

Jacqles

I was also diagnosed yesterday and given the boric acid capsules to use 14 days.  Am praying it will work for me.  I inserted it at bedtime and woke up in the middle of the night to feel it bubbling in my vagina.  A strange sensation.  I have been o  antibiotics for the past ten months.  The vaginal burning was horrific - I told the doctor it felt like my vaginNAND vulva would self combust.

I am sorry you too are going through this, the boric acid I think works, I could only do 7 days because at day 7 I felt like it was giving me a chemical burn and I have had one before, it just adds to the issues. So my Dr said stop at 7 and see what happens. I have been off all antifungal/boric acid meds since the18th of July and I don't burn all the time but occasionally feel it, so I go to a specialist on Tuesday and I am going to ask him to re culture to see if it is still showing glabrata. I have learned from this and can tell you that to help with burning applying coconut oil to the outside or CRISCO shortening is wonderful and soothing. Its sounds weird but a gyno told me about this the last time I had this happen. Crisco will also help protect your outer skin from the chemical's in the meds. Try taking a white vinegar sitz bath, it will balance your ph, about 2 cups in a full bath or 1 cup in a about 5 inches...I do this regularly....I am making progress with the mouth burning and vaginal burning, I just don't know if its gone (thinking not) I have reframed from all sexual activity with my husband, I need to heal and that will cause the skin to be more susceptible to infections...going through this 2x in one life time is too much...I have spent hours and hours doing my own research and with many diet changes and taking a more holistic approach it is manageable now. Glabrata is nasty and resistant to many antifungals....I had three Dr's not even know that or they are not familiar with Glabrata! that's why I am going to the Universities top specialist on womens health and infections...I wish you a fast recovery and hope we can be a support to each other...are you taking proboiticis? that is a key factor to recovery...a very strong one, I also drink Kefir daily....good luck, and I hope to hear how you are doing..we can beat this!!!.

Hi Jacqles,

I sent the below response on another post

"Hi Jacqles, I'm so sorry to hear this, think I have similar thing, had a normal bout of thrush, treated with oral pill and it went away for 5 days before returning, used pessary, soothed for a few days then got my period which seems to calm it down, worse again after! 7 weeks later and I swing between soreness, itching, burning etc (generally v little discharge) An online ob gyn said these one off treatments of oral pills can wipe out the excess Candida albicans but then they quickly get replaced by glabrata and this is happening more and more often almost like antibiotics. As its been going on I've not eaten, lost weight with anxiety as I see its hard to treat. According to this online ob gyn (google dr Owen glabrata) you can treat by alternating diflucan every other day for 2 weeks then 1 a week for 4-6 months combined with rephresh gel and a probiotic has been proven to eliminate. I'm not sure yet what I have but he thought glabrata though after a while he more or less told me to F off after I asked endless questions but like you I am anxious, lonely and scared, I'm scared its worse news and is vulvadonyia (god pls no) anyway I am thinking its glabrata and I'm sending my best to you cos I know you must feel desolate. I am meant to see a gyn in 12 days but I hate this, want to try boric acid bit hard to come by in UK. Don't get too down, if you want to email me we can swap emails, totally need someone too"

I still don't know if it is glabrata but this online ob gyn thought it was likely, google just answers dr Owen glabrata for some info, I'm not sure of he's spot on or not and he did get weary of me when I really needed the help but his theory might be worth trying. I too have been mentioning this to drs and they look at me blankly, no idea what glabrata is! So I could be barking up wrong tree but I have read a fair bit on this theory that you wipe albicans with one oral pill and if you're unlucky glabrata fills in the now empty gap and becomes tough to remove. I have first gyn appointment in 12 days when i think ill have to request a specific culture for glabrata as previous yeast tests have been negative because no-one knows about it here in UK) but that seems so far away I just want to start treating now. My mum says I should wait (I'm 30 but listen to my mum) but I'm fed up and so depressed and anxious it could be worse.

I don't have a burning mouth, just a burning, itchy vagina, some days are ok but I would say 1/10 means the best day, I managed to have sex once (so depressing how that has become almost impossible) up to 6/10 for a sore day. Did boric acid help you in the end? I want to try it but not easily available in UK, just came back from USA where much easier to get, wasted opportunity. Anyway I'm pretty broken and trying to keep my chin up, pls any info you have I'd appreciate. Is this $3000 compound foolproof.

I am sorry you are going through this, yes the boric acid did help and I have been too two different specialist and have been free of yeast since, 30 day fungal cultures are clear and the burning has stopped.  I am still not back to normal because it will take a while for the skin to heal.  The infectious disease/gyn specialist treats the skin as well as the infection, broken sore skin will attrack more infection. Try to get boric acid 600 mg capules for 7-14 nights, you will have a clear watery discharge but they don't hurt.  or if you cant get those, Gynozole 1 (butconozole 2%) works too.  clotrimazole is another good one the specialist recommended. take diflucan every day for 14 days 100 mg and use the cream. let the area heal, I still havent had sex ...married 25 years so not really a big deal ;) haha..also use crisco shortening (white solid) as a soothing protectant and if you are having sex this is a great protections against abrasions..coconut oil is also great and has antifungal properties....I also pour vinegar in my bath a few times a week to keep my ph right....I have been through this twice now, you will get better...I still have sore days that I think its back but it seems to stop...and my dr said my skin is finally looking healthy again....after the yeast is gone, he treats with compounded hydrocortozone or you can even use a hemorroid suppository...ONLY have yeast is gone for sure or it will make it worse....I am still struggling with health probably anxiety too, lost 26 pounds and going though tons of testing but all is normal so far....I am a worrier and read the internet untili I am scared to death but try what I did and lt me know...feel free too email me :)

In vitro studies reveal that the MICs of all available azoles for C. glabrata are higher than that for most C. albicans isolates (96). The increase in MICs varies, however, with the specific azole. Butoconazole shows excellent in vitro activity, as do miconazole and clotrimazole. Terconazole, itraconazole, and ketoconazole show moderate activity. Fluconazole shows relatively poor in vitro activity, and, not infrequently, there is frank resistance. Published studies, of which there are few, reveal that in spite of in vitro activity, azole therapy does not predictably eradicate C. glabrata in vivo (125, 151). If an attempt is to be made to treat C. glabrata with either oral or topical azole therapy, fluconazole should not be the drug of choice, and all the other azoles agents should not be prescribed as short course regimens, i.e., single-dose or 1- to 3-day regimens. Accordingly, in a previously untreated patient, it is not unreasonable to use nonfluconazole azoles for 7 to 14 days.Sobel et al. recently reported on the successful use of boric acid vaginal capsules in the treatment of C. glabrata vaginitis in women who had failed several courses of azole therapy (151). Boric acid, 600 mg in gelatin capsules, was administered intravaginally once a day for 14 days. In uncontrolled studies, the success rate measured by mycological eradication of the organism approximated 70%. Approximately 30% of the patients remained culture positive, and many of these returned within a short period with recurrence of vulvovaginal symptoms. These patients were then retreated with boric acid and given a maintenance regimen of boric acid prescribed several times a week for an additional period. However, the safety of the latter regimen is unknown, and, given the potential systemic toxicity of boric acid, it should not be undertaken lightly. As an alternative to boric acid maintenance therapy, nystatin vaginal suppositories (100,000 U daily) can be used as a maintenance regimen following the initial clinical and mycological successful therapy with boric acid. For patients who fail to respond to boric acid or for whom the boric acid or nystatin maintenance therapy becomes ineffective, topical flucytosine prescribed once a day for 14 days is generally recommended. A maintenance regimen with flucytosine is not available because of local toxicity, expense, and the potential for development of resistance. Most patients who receive flucytosine do extremely well, since C. glabrata is highly sensitive to this drug. For patients who fail to respond to both boric acid and flucytosine regimens, combination regimens including a topical antifungal such as boric acid, flucytosine, and nystatin can be coadministered with oral itraconazole. Although the value of oral itraconazole as definitive therapy is largely unknown, itraconazole demonstrates considerable in vitro activity (96). Based on disk agar diffusion susceptibility testing, terconazole has been considered to be highly active against C. glabrata; however, clinical experience with terconazole does not indicate any advantage over any of the other topical agents (151).

Thank you so much for replying, I'm so glad for you that you beat this and have gotten yeast free. I'm terrified because believe it or not I kinda hope it is glabrata, once yeast and STIs are ruled out it leaves contact/irritant dermatitis, lichen disease or nerve damage, I certainly don't want the latter two. Researching has probably made me worse too as you find all the terrifying possibilities, at least if its glabrata I might know what I'm fighting and you've done amazingly. My big worry is they tested me for yeast and I hope in UK they just do microscopy type test and look for normal candida, I think I need to push then to culture for glabrata as no-one knows much about it here. Thank you for all this info it's been so useful, I will keep you updated with what's happening and again so glad you beat it well done

Hi Jacqles, pls can I inquire about symptoms? I thought I could describe a typical day or two and see what you thought. The best times are usually just after a shower, being in water like the sea or even a bath (but maybe half an hour after might start to itch or burn again) and the night time when I sleep without pants, when I wake up I usually feel almost normal! Once the white cotton pants go on there is more sense of mild burning. A good day will be one where I'm able to walk around and not be too bothered, either ill have a bout of natural discharge and that soothes, but most days things are on the dry side, I was just interested in your first post you said glabrata often has a burning sensation with little discharge, any discharge I have is usually sticky and white and resides inside, it doesn't really come out and is rarely very wet. The best days are cool ones and ill wear loose clothes and ill be aware of it but won't be so at the mercy of the itch or the burning feeling. The worst days are humid ones when it will itch a lot more and it always got worse in my acting job which involved wearing a lycra catsuit, when it began as a normal thrush bout I treated it and improved but once i put my catsuit back on it came back, I had to do this for 4 weeks until the show ended and swear its the reason it's 'set in', days off it would ease a bit but hot theatres made it unbearable and almost sore! Yes I dress humid days, even hot ones are bearable as long as they're not humid. I've resorted to putting nothing on it, tried aqueous cream, mama nature candida pro skin and after a day or two they start to irritate so given up putting things on. Scared to start treating it in case it's not glabrata but wondered if these symptoms sounded familiar. The only thing is I don't have a burning mouth but I also feel this isn't the worst case. It's not as sore as a typical thrush attack for instance, it's milder but its the near constancy of it that makes me miserable. Thank you for your replies, I can't tell you how miserable I've felt throughout all this and how much your response has cheered me up x

I too have very little natural discharge and the burining comes and comes.  My Mouth burining is from a virus I think I have also because I am still dealing with many heatlh health problems due to the anxiety and stress of glabrata diagnoisis and like you I reasearched and made it much worse, as of today I have lost 30# from Jun 26.  my mouth will flare when I get upset, I really think its Epstien Barr Virus reactivating in my system.  anyway I do believe you have yeast, my dr always cultures me bcause of my past history.  and then she knows how to treat it.  I was scared with the diaganosis and went hard on the meds, butoconozole 2% will help if you can get it in the UK I had never done boric acid before because I was afraid it would burn (it doesnt) but I think it really helped on top of the creams.  We sound simliar in personality, try to get a culture done, if not do all I said to do and keep your self dry, please try the crisco or coconut oil as a soothing non irritant protectant.  I hope you find relief soon, I have cried my share believe me, I want to help anyway I can and give you my steps I followed to recovery...I have my natural moisture back, like I said I still havent irritated the area, the skin needs to heal to avoid further infection.  PLEASE start to treat the yeast, have the Dr read the post I sent last night about the glabrata or search or take in some info on it.  its not a death sentence and uncurable, I too thought I had vulvudyna 10 years ago, it was a long road but by doing all the things I mentioned I got better ...let me know how the visit goes, do not let them just give you Diflucan alone, its resisitant.  Take Care

Honestly this has been so helpful, i will keep you updated as to what happens, I'm going to my GP on Tuesday and will request a culture and also from the gynaecologist who I will meet on Tuesday 10th and hopefully things might get clearer. I agree, we have similar personalities! I do feel for you, it takes over your life, i really feel for you that it affects you in this way, anxiety won't help us heal but there are some true horror stories out there about glabrata. I'm so glad when I see positive stories like yours, I'm hoping because symptoms are relatively mild if I catch it sooner it will be easier to beat. Please keep updating what's happening with you, it's really inspirational and reassuring to hear someone's getting on top of it and I wish you all the best, stay in touch it makes so much difference 

I agree having a support system is vital, when you know that others are struggling. I am anxious to hear what the dr prescribes. try the vinegar baths it will help with the burning. about 2 cups of white vinegar in a about 4-5 inchs of water...I sit for about 15 minutes. in my last thread I meat to say I had no discharge not I have...it has normalized...also start with probiotics, they will take over the bad bacteria.  It may take more than one treatment but I know you will find relief...stop researching :) (easier said than done) haha...I have requested your connection on here if you are registered then you can sent personal messages if you prefer. praying for us both...I do that a lot lately, faith with conquer fear, and I have faith we will get our lives back soon..  J

Dear Jacqles,
I read all the posts between you and "Ohgodmakeitstop". I wonder if you both are treated and if so how? My sister is suffering from Candida Glabrata as well.
Thanks in advance,

Hi I haven't tested positive for it after two cultures so I don't think it's my problem, sadly more likely I have vulvar vestibulitis which has its own dramas! Hopefully Jacqles can help out more than me as she had some experience with it, great you're looking out for your sister I'm sure she's grateful, best of luck

I was successfully treated after using boric acid for 7 days, 600 mg.  I used butconzle 2% for 2 applications and then used the boric acid. I have not had a relapse but my yeast infection has turned into other health issues. I have lost 27 pounds during this, going in for a colonoscopy next week.  Yeast is a nasty beast.  I have had this happen twice in 10 years.  I believe it is a lot about diet too.  eliminate dairy, breads, yeast and gluten for a time and see if that helps.  Take white vinegar sitz baths, just add about 2-3 cups into a bath tub and relax, it will help with the PH. please feel free to contact me anytime, I know the pain and struggle of this and support and advice is so nice. It is cureable, just need to have a Dr. willing to go outside the box.  Diflucan is useless!

Black seed oil. All natural please goggle. Not black seed with cumin just black seed oil orally and rub on vagina works beautifully. Good luck.