I am a 20 year old student and athlete with no medical conditions i am aware of. I lay in my bed at night and get frustrated by my inability to fall asleep and i move on to my laptop or tv as i get bored i can feel my heart beat move through my body and a slight ring in my ears and i get headaches i regularly fall asleep past 3 and often around 5 or 6 depending on the time i have to awaken i will need to nap during the day and sometimes this can be for 6 too 10 hours or 1 hour but i feel very tired awakening after 1 hour. if i do sleep at night at 3 i can sleep in till 3 in the afternoon if not woken up and still feel tired. i have also been getting worse lately due to needing to stay up and study for finals i pulled an allnighter for an exam and slept the whole day the next day and then 2 hours the next night and all day again. I am not a very stressed person even when it comes to finals, and i do drink coffee but not regularly. I also need to eat and be full to sleep otherwise my body has more trouble sleeping.
What is wrong with me it feels like my sleep schedual is backwards i feel awake and smarter the closer to night and retarded and sleepy during the earlier day.

First, get yourself tested for obstructive sleep apnea. With this condition, you will feel tired regardless of how many hours you sleep. Many universities have a sleep lab in the psychology department where faculty and graduate students conduct sleep research. Talk to the professor to see if they can use you as a research subject. Testing is often free. Second, get yourself a complete physical. Most major universities have at least one part-time resident physician to care for their students. Smaller colleges often have at least one resident nurse. Office visit is often free. Well, actually the cost is included in your tuition.
You can actually readjust your circadian rhythm by forcing yourself to go to sleep at a certain hour and to wake up at a certain hour everyday. It takes a bit of will power to do this. But, check out the other options that I just mentioned first.

Unscheduled sleeping habits affect the hormonal system adversely. But apart from that if you get your total hours of sleep, whether during the day or night, your physical well being is preserved. However, it might lead to obesity or lower testosterone, giving rise to impotency. At psychological level, it might make you more irritable and unhealthy. What you can do is to get rid of your computer and TV, try reading a book an hour before you want your sleep timing to be. You will fall asleep. Also, when about to sleep, get fully involved in the story you are reading and not on any other episodes of the day or your life. This will put your mind to rest. Try this and let me know if it works for you.

Do some research, but use a magnetic mattress.