My son is 26 and he had some problems with his foot. He went to doctor where he was diagnosed with capsulitis. I would like to know more about it. What is the treatment for this condition and can it be dangerous?

Capsulitis is very common in the ball of the foot and it is probably the most common cause of metatarsalgia. It is also one of the most overlooked diagnoses. Symptoms include aching discomfort and a sharp pain with pressure and with movement of the toe. If the toe is bended upwards or downwards, the painful symptoms could be re-created due to stretching the capsule. Pain can develop on either the top or bottom of the foot, or both at the same time because the capsule surrounds all sides of the joint. The majority of the discomfort is experienced on the bottom of the foot. Capsulitis is common when the bone in the ball of the foot is plantarflexed or dropped. This means that it is relatively lower than the others and when the inflamed metatarsal is excessively long. Trauma can also create the problem too, whether of a gradual or a sudden onset. This condition is not life threatening but if it is not treated it can cause discomfort and pain. I am sure that your son will be ok.