Lately I had problem because I feel like I am walking on a marble. Also I experienced and persistent pain in the ball of my foot. My doctor checked it and told me I might have condition called Morton’s neuroma. I am afraid because I have heard it is tumor of some nerve. I would like to hear something about my problem, its diagnosis and treatment.

Morton’s neuroma is a benign tumor of a nerve. It is not actually a tumor, but some kind of thickening of the tissue that surrounds the digital nerve leading to your toes. It usually occurs as nerve passes under the ligament connecting toe bones in the forefoot. Morton’s neuroma most frequently develops between the third and fourth toes. Because this is not actually an umor as you have heard, there are no some outward signs such as lumps are. Symptoms might occur as burning pain in the ball of the foot that radiates into toes. X-rays may be required to examine Morton’s neuroma and role out a stress fracture or arthritis of the joints. Initial therapies are nonsurgical and are relatively are simple, such as changes in foorwear. Injection of corticosteroid medication can reduce swelling and inflammation of the nerve, bringing some relief. Combination of roomier, more comfortable shoes, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication, custom foot orthoses and cortisone injections provide relief in over then 80% of people with Morton’s neuroma.