I am waiting my callotasis which is appointed for next week. My big toe was shortened during another surgery and other toes had to carry the weight. This was too painful and now I will have callus distraction or callotasis. Who experienced the same thing? I’m a bit scared - they are actually going to lengthen my toe!

After several bunion surgeries I somehow ended up with my first metatarsal bone about 8 mm too long. It needed shortening badly, since it was very painful and almost impossible to walk. My doctor used X - ray in order to prevent over - shortening. And he over - shortened it, believe it or not. Of course, he wasn’t at all willing to admit his mistake and the pain under my second metatarsal bone (which was then too long and my weight was not positioned properly) ascribed to my irresponsible behaviour during the recovery. And I spent three weeks with my foot elevated! I asked for second opinion and the new doctor managed to realise what the cause of pain was. The only solution was, of course, another callotasis. This was much better performed and the recovery was much shorter. This all happened about seven months ago and now I feel normal, there is no pain or any other difficulty. Minor infection followed my second surgery, but strong antibiotics fixed that. If you feel insecure about your doctor, ask for second opinion - in my case it proved beneficial.