Hello. I really have a lot of pets. In the last month, I got the turtle Michelangelo and cat Yasmin. My cat is so adorable! I have some experiences with cats, but since yesterday, she is acting really weird. She is really nervous. I was googling about this, and I found out that those symptoms that my little cat have might be anal gland abscess. I have to be honest with you, I really don’t know much about it and I don’t know how to treat it. Should I visit a vet? Do you have any experience with it?

Thank you! 

Going to the vet is your first option. My grandmother has a cat for nine years, and she is having the same problem. The worst thing is that this repeats frequently. You should let vet to take care of this. He or she can squeeze cat impacted anal sacs by hand. Also, you can feed your cat with extra fiber, which bulks up his poop. It is easier for your pet. If your pet is in pain, you should insist that your vet give some relief drugs for your cat. You should not let your cat to be in pain, you need to find the cure quickly! 

Umm…  I don’t have any experience with it.  My cat luckily never had that kind of a problem. But my friend has several cats and she had that problem several times.  She fixes it pretty fast, actually not her, she usually goes to the vet as soon as she notices the symptoms, but right when we start thinking that the problem is gone,  it comes back. :/  So she pays a great amount of money to the vet. It would be really nice if there was a way to treat this at home. It would’ve saved her a lot of money. 

Oh, poor little thing. That's so sad. 

I know how painful it can be for these adorable creatures. That's why you shouldn't hesitate and take her/him to the veterinarian as soon as possible so she/he can get a proper care.

During past few years I had several cases of anal gland problems among my cats and many of them were healed by antibiotics. Snowflake and Whitey needed operation though, but the most important thing is that all of them are alive and healthy. All because of on-time reaction. 

Of course, you need to take care of your cat's nutrition during treatment and after. Consult your vet about it, as well.

Good luck!

I really do know about this problem, because I had the same experience with my cat. It is so sad, because she really suffers and it is hard to look her while she suffers so hard. First, I didn’t know what is it about, but I went to see vet and he told me about this. It was healed with antibiotics as well, some liquid antibiotic once a day, so she is healthy now. I will see what will happen later. I really hope it won’t come back, because to be honest, I really didn’t know the cats have this gland. I had three cats before, but that never happened.

I agree with other members, you should visit vet as soon as possible, to cure it fast.

Good luck! 

Have you considered cleaning your cat’s gland by yourself?

It is a cheaper alternative and you’ll do just fine. Just make sure you prepare clean environment. Lift the tail up so that you can see the glands. You will see if they are full or not. Now what you need o do is to squeeze the glands in a C-shaped sweeping movement by using your thumb and forefinger. If the fluid is yellow or blood tinted, your cat probably has an infection and you need to take her to the vet. Hopefully that won’t happen and the fluid will be a dark brown to clear color.

I’ve done that cleaning thing once before on my own.
Just make sure that you put a clean blanket or sheet on your floor, I still have stains on one part of my carpet because I forgot to do that.
And find a person who will help you with your cat, someone will need to hold her so that she doesn’t move.
And get some gloves too. I must warn you, that fluid that comes out is sooo smelly, I had to wash my carpet three times in order for the smell to go away. Good luck and I hope that these tips will help.

Hello. My mother had the same problem with her Persian cat. To be sure, as far as I remember, there are some conditions with her cat as well. She did this procedure alone, of course, I needed to be here to help her, to hold the cat while she was doing the procedure. OMG,  it was painful for me to watch, I just can’t imagine how this poor little thing was feeling then. But, I have to say that now she is has 11 years and since then, this didn’t happened again. Never.

She went to see the vet and everything was just fine.