Hello there. My cat started to refuse the food that I was giving her before. It always happen in this time of year, in September, October and November. I don’t know why, but I am used on this. My friend Larrisa, she really love cats, she told me that I should consider to start giving low – protein cat food to my little one :)

That is ok, I will, but I have heard that this foods can cause some side – effects to my cat. And, I really don’t want that.

So, do you know is this true? Do you have any experience with it? 

Hello.

I never fed my cat low-protein diet as I heard too much bad things about it. In fact, low-protein diet is a very controversial topic. I watched on TV that some doctor inducted a research which proved that cats on low-protein diet have very high chance of developing hypoproteinemia and kidney problems. They also tend to lose weight and have serious issues with muscles. Some said that these side-effects are caused by phosphorus which can be found in tested foods, but that’s not something I can confirm.

Sorry that I can’t give you a proper advice, but only can suggest you to be careful before putting your cat on low-protein diet.

I totally agree that you have to avoid low – protein cat foods, because, to be honest, I didn’t hear a lot of positive things about it. That is why you need to avoid it, but of course, that is just my opinion. I know that my friend John was feeding his cat with low protein foods, and very soon, he started to lose his weight, he became really skinny. Very soon, he became sick, and he went to see the vet. He told him that everyone should consider to talk to their vets before starting this diet program because it is very controversial topic.

So, avoid it.. or consult your vet. 

Hey everyone. I was never feeding my cat with low protein cat foods, and I think that I would never do this as well. There are not so many reasons, but I know that my cat doesn’t like this way of eating. One day, we were at my friends place, she has a cat as well, and she was feeding her cat with low – protein cat food. My cat just came near her cat’s bowl and she just walked away. Also, the reason why I don’t want to feed my cat with this diet program is because she is a little bit skinny.  

Hey. I don’t know so much about it, because I don’t have a cat, but I do know a little bit about it, since my best friend has a cat. A three years ago, she started to feed her with low – protein food. Very soon, her cat was really bad. Her vet told her that her cat already had some kidney issues, and this diet program just made it worse :/  So, this is one thing that low protein food can cause in cats. Maybe this is the only one negative thing, but I don’t know is it worthy to risk. 

Hi. I don’t support low protein cat foods at all. I think that, like all of us, cats need their proteins to remain healthy.

Without them cats start to lose muscle mass,  therefore they lose weight. It’s good if your cat is already overweighed, but I see many cat owners that feed their super skinny cats with low protein food and it’s just stupid. Feeding them low protein food must make them lose weight sooner or later. And not to mention kidney problems and  problems that can occur with muscles because of this type of diet.

I definitely wouldn’t recommend it if your cat is not obese.

I believe that we should be moderate. There is no need to feed our cats with extremely high protein foods, but there is also no need to feed them with low or ultra low protein food. Cats need their proteins, especially when they are kittens, and also as they get older, they need all the nutrients more then before because they can’t really absorb them well, as they used to before.

Low protein food leads to unnecessary muscle loss, a compromised immune system, and osteoporosis. You probably know that the cells of the immune system rely on ready sources of protein and amino acids to produce antibodies and all sorts of protective chemicals. That’s why proteins are so important.

I don’t think that kidney problems are a side effects of this type of diet. The thing is, there was this research that showed that low protein foods actually help with kidney damage. That is why there are lots of dog food brands that advertise their low protein food as healthy and good for kidneys. The results of this research were eventually found wrong, because  low protein food only decreases symptoms of kidney disease but it does not help the disease in any way. But it also doesn’t effect it in a bad way.

The main side effects of low protein foods are losing the muscle mass and weight loss.