Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible for someone to fake depression, I wanted to know what people here think.

You see, this friend of mine "all of a sudden" became depressed. She doesn't want to go out, she doesn't want to hang out with me anymore, she doesn't want us to watch movies or anything that we used to do. When I got really mad about it because she didn't want to tell me the reason, she just said that she is depressed. But she was never depressed before so my first thought was that she is trying to fake it because of something, is this possible?

Hi Guest,

Regarding your situation, since you aren't actually spending any time with her, it is quite easy to "fake depression". She sounds like one of those people who are saying that they are depressed only in order to gain some attention. However, when you are spending time with someone, it can be quite obvious if they are really depressed or they are faking it. You can't really fake depression then, unless you are one hell of an actor.

So basically, in your specific case, it is quite easy to fake depression and to be honest, I think that she is faking it.

Hey EatingBoss,

I've been thinking the exact same thing. I mean, we have been friends for about two years now, I don't know if she wants us to be something more or she had wanted it in the past, but I always wanted just to have her as a friend. Maybe this is the way for her to make me... I don't know, pay extra attention to her or what? I don't know, I really think that she is faking it as well. Maybe if I completely stop paying attention to her, she will stop doing it? What do you think about that?

Well, regarding what you just wrote, and if you think that you are right, then if you stop paying attention to her, she will probably stop acting all depressed but she might stop talking to you or she might start to want to be by your side 24 hours a day. One of those two things, depending on her personality. You can give it a try to stop paying attention to her, if I were you, I would probably do that. You'll see the results of what you did pretty fast. I honestly wouldn't want to be around her after this anyway.

Hello. Of course that you can fake depression. I did it. I was faking depression because I knew that my boyfriend is going to dump me. I accidentally caught him talking to his brother that he can't be with me anymore because he is not in love with me and because he is not happy. I just couldn't accept this so I decided to fake depression. I know that it is ugly way, but it was the only way. At least, I didn't have other way. So he is still with me, and I know that he is with me because he feels sorry for me, but I think that I am the only one who can make him happy. Don't judge me..

For mother of Lord! And you are admitting this just like that? I don't know, I am not going to judge you but I know that I could not live with it - knowing that I made someone to stay with me just because I love him, or at least I think that I love him. Forgive me, but that is not love...I think that you don't love this guy, I think that you are just being obsessed with him. But trust me on this one - you cannot keep him forever by your side. One day he will caught you in your lies and he is going to dump you. And trust me, you won't feel good at all.
Guys, from this post you can see that you can fake that you are depressed.

I didn't post it right, and you are criticize me. Trust me, I didn't need someone to tell me that I am doing the right thing because I know that I am not doing the right thing, but I can't help myself. Anyway, whenever I think that he is going to leave me I start to have weird panic attacks that can lead to depression, I am sure. So I know that I am going to be depressed if he leaves me. Maybe it seems crazy for you, but I just do know and that is why I don't want him to leave me.

I won't comment this post again, it is not worth of commenting it. 

Dear Guest, as you can see, it is very easy to fake depression. There are some people that will admit that they are faking depression, as you can see. According to your situation, I think that your friend is actually faking depression because that is the only way to get what she wants. I think that it is easy to recognize people who are dealing depression and who are depressed. One example is that people who are faking depression are not depressed all the time, but just occasionally.