My elder sister told me cellulitis is a potentially serious infection of the skin. We found it out because one of our friends got cellulitis. As I know most of skin or any other infection is contagious, I am afraid for us. I would like to know is cellulitis is contagious too. Also, I would like to know a little bit more about it, beside that is infection of the skin.

It is true that cellulitis is potentially serious bacterial infection both skin and underlying tissues. But for your information, it is not contagious. That means it isn’t spread directly from one individual to another. But these bacteria that cause cellulitis can be transferred by direct contact with an open sore on a person that is affected with it. This disease appears as a swollen, red area of the skin that feels tender and hot. Cellulitis occurs when bacteria enter the body through a break in the skin, such as cut, insect bite or scratch. Streptococcus and staphylococcus are bacteria that most often cause cellulitis. These types of bacteria are also present on healthy skin. It may spread rapidly and if severe it can spread into the lymph nodes and bloodstream. You are in risk group if there are chronic skin conditions that create breaks in the skin, diabetes, weakened immune system, lymph edema, and previous episode of cellulitis. Because of the fast turning from life untreated to life threatening condition it is very important to recognize the signs and symptoms and to seek immediate medical attention.