hi ive had symptoms since the age of 12yrs of m.s. sickness pain ect diagnosed finally four and a half years ago im 38yr old now, i had an m.r.i. scan after wakeing up one day numb in the legs about four and a half year ago unable to walk correctly a list of complaints and m.s. was the diagnosis, in the begining i had lower back pain constantly and upper spine pain again constantly, the alleged neurospecialist at the local hospital when as slighty confused myself was asked to write to the said specialist and put down my symptoms and explain, well on doing so given an appointment i was diagnosed with deppresssion? then after a second visit id had enough my quality of life was none existant id been prescribed glasses which still depression was his answer the guy dissapeared? and so a very nice russian lady took over my case some two/two and a half yr later first consultation i was sent to the neuro section of the hospital and given cortisteroid treatment which didnt work! when examined before treatment i was given a date for another m.r.i. scan shoulders (up only) this time the findings being disc bulging and herniation of c5 c6 c6 c7?, so then i have recently attended and visited a neurosurgeon as a result of this and his response was "to much wear" nothing we can do surgery in his opinion isnt an option after a quick examination and i explained i hadnt been able to leave the house for 12 months falling over in fact mobility is nearly none existant due to the bottom part of my back being painfully unbearable (i was willing as i was informed by people surgery was risky anyway i would consent no problem with me id try anything!) im now to go for a URGENT m.r.i. scan (full), im more than confused that a neurospecialist from the local health authority overlooked the lower and upper parts of my back and diagnosed depression? and now seems to of been proven by his colleagues more than incompentent it would seem, ive little or no faith now in my local hospital after the apparently reputable specialist is moved on but his clinic name is still held? and the neurosurgeon gave his opinion which after a short examination is no help anyway (i am prescribed lyrica pregabalin 600mg a day and use between 3000/8000mg a day of solpadol ) that and 2 mri scans 2 specialists (neuro) in the four and a half year seems nothing for the pain suffering and the loss of quality of life ive suffered , anyway sorry for boreing anybody ive read the posts you all seem well informed so does anybody have any advice? firstly on how to obtain a second opinion? and secondly what is the outcome do i get the wheelchair that i knew was going to come one day in the future as i am deteriorating rapidly now seems every day its getting worse :'( feel like im being fobbed of when these issues could of been dealt with some time ago 8-| how do i get seen to? who do i see? what is the best course of action please help i dont see ive been given a great deal of help with any of the issues ive explained "seems like playing darts in the dark" with my condition is the only way i can explain being dealt with and to add the herniation and c5 c6 c6 c7 thing is the very least problem i have thats not what ive ever been concerned or aware of or my complaint, my lower back and legs coupled with my mobility is my worry and concern and its slipping away with time..................................is the lancashire fy postcode a postcode lottery area what im lost in?, ive learnt more from these posting than with all my neuro specialists my m.s. nurse my g.p. the lot whats going on here? HELP! i dont want complaint i just want help

Let me bore you with my story.. I've been suffering from headaches probably over 15 years now.. Started with MRI and found that I had a herniation between c5-c6, I tried physical therepy, trigger points, and pain blocks, all with no good results... Finally I saw a prestegious neuro-doctor in NY that told me I needed a two-sided laminectomy, where they clean out the sides of the vertebrae with a drill... Nevertheless, after the surgery, I still noticed headaches, and when I asked the Doctor, he told me there is nothing in an MRI I took, and to go to physical therepy.. I thought the surgery was going to end my dilemma... no.. So, I started eating aspirin day and night.. somehow I had a bowel twist (don't know how?) in which I need a bowel resectiion - and almost bled to death because my blood couldn't clot... Make a short story long.. I then started with Botox injections every 3 months.. This didn't help.. I finally went back to see another ortho Doctor who took a regular xray, and showed me that my C5-C6 are pratically touching each other and that I need disc fusion surgery.. which I should have had 7 years ago instead or along with the laminectomy.. I am going to try a pain management doctor one more time, since surgery is not an option at this point in my life again (4 year old twins...), if the pain managment doctor doesn't help.. I may have to perform the surgery myself.. Has anyone had disc fusion and how long were you laid up? Thanks.

Hello, I just find this site cause I am looking for more information about nucleoplasty. My boyfriend has recently find out that he has a cervical hernia C6-C7. The doctor give us a link nucleoplasty.com where we can see more about this method. Maybe you'll find this helpfull.

My problems started 7 years ago. Had c5-c6 that bulged and c6-c7 that burst. Did chiropractic and neurologist. Had a couple injections that just made it feel worse, did traction 3x/daily for months. Felt it when c5-c6 popped back into place, pain was worse than not being able to lift my arm. Was on celebrex for awhile until my body suffered a severe reaction and ended up in the ER. So for the past years just accepted the fact that my hand and arm (left side) would cramp up frequently and that I had no strenth and wasn't going to have any either. Well fast forward to Feb. of this year, felt like a kink, back to traction since it's always gave me relief (in addition to a portable TENS unit). No relief. uh oh. Get updated MRI done, emg (same neuro, not good, gotta come out). Orthopedic surgeon is getting another MRI since the updated on says c5-c6 is messing up again, c6-c7 is obvious on MRI, yet c5-c6 looks ok. So tentatively scheduled for 2 level ACDF June 9th. Even if I go back to where I was a year ago, that's still better than where I am right now between all the pain pills, and muscle relaxers and anything better than 2 hours of sleep at a time!!!

I guess my point is that conservative can work but had I known that 7 years later I'd still be fighting this, I would've had the surgery done then. It's now to the point of muscle weakness, spinal stenosis and balance issues as well. I'm 36 years old and want my life back.

:-( 7 months ago I got side swiped by a person who was in a rush for a lunch date so decided to run a red light and be really late anyway for this I have been in pain all this time with a buldging c6-c7 disc and is now getting worse I feel like my left arm and hand are going to fall off , my hand is num,weak and a tingling in my fingertips hurts, it is also going to my right hand now and a pain down my left leg, I have tried to go back to work twice with very little success my coworkers tell me to suck it up and it will get better, I have tried to suck it up for 4 weeks back at work and it is getting worse, I am coming home to muscle relaxers, pain killers every day and I cant do that no more, the doc told me the worse that could happen is I could get paralyzed, I have been like this for 7 months now and I am just now getting my first epideral shot this Thursday, I have heard by a few people that this is a bandaid fix and the pain will return, is this true , are there any successful cases where the pain never comes back, the doc said it should take care of the problem, any information will be helpful...

I just found out that my c5-c6 disc is ruptured. I guess it happened 4 years ago when I broke my jaw. My left arm had a deep pain for a month until I got an MRI. My tear is too bad for therapy so I'm going for the fused disc. One thing the doctor did say though was to never get an epidural because there is more of a chance for that to do more damage, the doctor also aid that going to the chiropractor once you know your c6 is involved is a bad idea!!!. I'm scared but I can't live with out my arm.

I too have herniated (protruding) disks in my neck at C5, C6 and C7. The disj between bones C5 and C6 is significantly compressing my spinal cord, and C6 to C7 to a lesser degree. I am not living; but surviving day-by-day. I am not suicidal; but don't want to live anymore because the tension and pain are so bad in my neck. It feels like a horrible constant toothache in my neck, near the bone area at the bottom of the neck.

I was rear-ended 15 years ago by a school bus, and didn't know that I had sustained a condition called "reverse cervical curve," which means that the whiplash ruined my neck's alignment. The awkward alignment eventually led to degenerative cervical disk disease. I've tried message therapy to no avail (the shooting pain down my right arm is sharp during a message while lying face down), 3 steroid injections (which were worthless), 4 months of 50lbs. cervical traction (which is useless because my disks are being pinched horizontally), 3 chiropractors (which did nothing at all to help), and then lots of drugs (I'm now taking 2 Hydro/APAP 10-325 pills at a time, which gets me buzzed enough to feel relaxed, but the tension and pain never go away). I am also taking Percocet 5-325 which seens to be less effective.

I'm terrified to get the surgery, because of the possibility of further damage to the spinal cord. Also, I've heard that the pain after surgery is excruciating in the neck, and there will be difficulty swallowing and eating solid foods, and talking. Then there's the scar-tissue and the further pain it may cause. However, I'm miserable and want to die. I have no life, and my wife divorced me two years ago in my misery and pain. If I do get the surgery, I will awake to a lonely hospital recovery room with no wife or friends. I go to work and come home, that is my existence. I am irritable and sad all the time because of the agonizing neck pain.

I have gentle tingling and pain extending down my right arm into my right thumb, and on occasions (but hardly noticeable) in my right leg and right toe. I have all my strength in all arms and legs. So, my condition is borderline for surgery. I've been advised that if my neck hurts worse than anything else that I'm better off not getting surgery, because an anterior cervical discectomy likely won't eliminate the pain and ripping tension in my neck.

My heart goes out to others who suffer the same conditions and worse. I wish there was a cure. I'm hoping that somehow I might be able to get Microendioscopic sugery, which is minimally avasive. Unfortunately, I was told by the Bonati Institute for Advanced Arthroscopic Surgery in Florida that the surgery won't help someone with degenerative disk disease, because the problem will just continue. I don't know what to do anymore except take it one day at a time with God's help.

I welcome any feedback or suggestions. You can e-mail me direct at _[removed]_

Thank you

To relive pain:I have cervical herniated disl C5-C6 and i am 33yrs
1.In 1st month heat pad 4 times a day didnt help me.I read some where apply ice packs till affected and painful areas get num in rotation after every 5 mins.I did 10 sessions of physiotherapy which would relive me for 1hr and then every thing would be same.In begining of second month got steriod injected in cervical spine.Helped for while to reduce accute pain.But it still lasted .i did take oral steriods which relieved me from accute pain...but have side effects of hair growth like mustash and periods went irregular.
2.In mid of 2nd month i was massaged with massage oil in one direction from neck,back towards handtowards hand.Dont massage in oppsite direction and as patient feels comfortable.massage oil is Ayuvedic:mahabhring raj oil found in Indian stores
By end of third month I did Yoga for Spine by baba ramdev India.But except the once that need lifting the body on hands and shoulders.Usualy do very easy breathing and easy yoga exercise from this dvd.Daily.
i also combine cobra ,cat camel and wal angels with these exercise
Twice a week i float or sit in pool usualy in cold water
3.In third month I am trying homeopatic too(which has no side effects).
Apply ice pack daily on the effected area (yrather then hot packs)...theory is it subsides inflamation of nerves and muscles and where ever it hurts.if pain is very less then try sitting and jumping on execersise ball.....consult doctor.Theory is pumping action gives oxygen to spine and hence helps in curing it fast .
4.I am doing computer job with lots of breaks in mid like a small walk in office and 20 mins walk in luch time.sit straight,sleep straight without pillow.keep posture in mind for evey task you do.i had lot of pain in hand too...which I managed using evoluent ergonomics mouse.it worked instantly.It changes the angle of your hand while working on computer.I relax a lot on week ends it works for me to manage office and home and 2 yr kid too.
5.Dont take any stressful job even when pain has reduced.Bcz stress triggers the pain.If possible sleep on matress which is hard or try sleeping on floor.
but still on stressful days I return with pain and heavyness around my neck,shoulders,head at times...I do all the above to destress my self...icepack,yoga,massage,walk all in breaks not in a strech.

Anonymous wrote:

Guest wrote:

My husband was rearended in a car accident last July. He was hit so hard it snapped my driver seat and broke it. At the time he was diagnosed with whiplash and given flexeril and vicodin and sent to physical therapy. After a month he was weaned off the vicodin and the pain was very intense, with massive headaches. They did an MRI and found he had a bulging disc at the c5-c6 that was pinching a nerve and gave him an oral steroid antiinflammatory called medrol. but discontinued the physical therapy. they did this twice with the medrol. It didn't help. He was then prescribed relpax for the headaches, told he was having migraines. His orthopedist sent him to a spine specialist for cortisone shots and was told he didn't need them at the time and to come back if they got worse. Well, we kept going back to the doctor saying he was getting worse. No one listened. A week ago he lost all function in his left arm. He couldn't even hold a pen to sign his name to the hospital registration. They did another MRI. That disc that was bulging is now herniated and he has nerve damage. So we now have an appt. with a neurosurgeon to see what can be done to "fix" my husband. At this point we have no idea if the nerve damage is permanent. He has to wear a neck brace at all times. If he doesn't the headaches come back in full force which no medication can touch including percosets and he loses the function of his arm again.
The point of this long post is PLEASE don't mess around with a herniated disc. And don't take no from your doctor. Make them listen to you. My husband may now be permanently disabled because we couldn't make them listen to us. One doctor red flagged him as a faker and a drug seeker so noone else would listen to him when we said he was in pain.

Oh MY GOD. This information is unbelievable. I had a car rear end me and total my car, leaving me with the same situation your husband is in on 1/4/07. I just had MRI's done and I got the exact same diagnosis by my doctor. Physical therapy, and pills. Thank you so much for this info. I'm going back to my dr. and push for more tests now before it's too late. You are a savior....thanks and good luck to your husband.

Same thing is going on with me. I was in a road rage accident in 2001 and the pain in my shoulders and neck travel down my right elbow into my wrist and 2 right fingers go numb. I have had 2 Steroid epiderals and they did not work. I also have pain down my left leg. I have another doctor appt this Friday. He is talking about sending me back to the Spinal surgeon. Hopefully I will not need surgery but it is not looking to good. Good luck to both of you.

Wow! I have never had a cervical neck injury. 10 years ago my MRI said c5, c6, c7 are buldging (but not to worry unless they rupture)?
Recently found out I have high blood pressure...causing migraines and blurry vision and shooting electrical pain down my left arm and abdominal swelling (10lbs in 1 month). After a 2 hour nap blood pressure read 155/81 pulse 101. What is going on? I'm confused like you guys!

I have had two cortisone injections and am now following up with range-of-motion exercises in physical therapy. I am feeling relief for the first time in a year. For me, the meds were just a temporary fix. I felt no relief after the first injection; the doctor will do a third if this round of physical therapy does not alleviate the pain and restricted arm and neck use.

I am 28years of age and last feb.2008 I was in a car accident where I was t-boned passenger side. I was hit pretty badly. After the accident I was diagnosed with a wad 3 whiplash. I had almost no movement in my neck for over a month. Things were not getting any better for me. My lower and mid back we improving but my neck wasn't. I had refferal pains down both my arms since the accident and they were getting worse as time went on. I was having headaches all the time which the therapists were telling me they are tension headaches. After about 7months of physical therapy from a chiropractor/physical therapist I asked for a mri. We did the MRI and sure enough the found the disc herniation at c5/c6. Things are still not getting better. I have been taking Percs for almost four months now and they are barely working for pain. I have insomnia which is making things so much harder. I finally went to a pain clinic this week where they did my first nerve block injections. I didn't find any relief but it was the first ones. The pain clinic doctor really feels i should see a neurosurgeon right away because he says I am a candidate for surgery. My chiropractor has says she can admit when things aren't working anymore that is why she had me go to the pain clinic to see if that will help us through therapy.

In therapy we are doing a lot of manual traction and I just got the at home Dr. Ho traction kit. I usually have a lot of pain and tears when I am at therapy. I am really at my wits end with all this. I am constantly is a lot of pain. I can't really do much of anything. I haven't been back to work in 9mths. I would really like some opinions on what to do. I am seriously considering the surgery route because I can't take it anymore. I want my life back..

Please any suggestions or thoughts would be great..

Sincerly so much pain..

Sincerly so much pain..

DECOMPRESSION THERAPY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mri showed my c5 and c6 has a buldging disc. has been only since sept. 22 2008 that i had been rearended by a school bus while sitting at a red light the pain is unbearable i am not one to cry and it seems i cry more and more now because of the pain. i have been told that i will be sent to pain management not too keen on the i dea of having to take medicine much less shots in the neck any ways i can possible avoid this would be helpful in the last week i can t barely move neck to the right and arms sometimes get numb and tingly as if i had slept on them wrong and cut off circulation cant sit or stand for too long and much less keep my head in any one position i am contstantly with a headache i take bc arthuritus four a day maybe more if i dont keep track and two three ib profen 800 mg prescribed ice and none of it is working i have also started getting sharp pains in calves and eyes and burryness in my vision comes and goes i need help any suggestions besides surgery would be nice...thank you for listening i pray you are the one to help the chiropractor is making me worse heck even the massages are to....